NEurope
Dante

DJ Hero

Recent Activision acquisition FreeStyleGames is hard at work on DJ Hero, a music rhythm game that will let gamers scratch to the beat of popular mash-ups with a laptop turntable peripheral, informed sources tell us today.

The game, which has been in development for nearly two years, is expected to hit shelves next summer and will likely include the ability to use Guitar Hero guitars for versus mode face-offs.

The controller, key to the game's success, has been through nearly a half-dozen iterations.

In the latest form, the device looks a lot like a simplified DJ Deck. There is a platter for scratching which will act like the strum toggle on a Guitar Hero guitar. Above the platter are three buttons for sampling. The controller also includes a cross fader and a sound effects dial which will act like the whammy bar in Guitar Hero.

Instead of flowing the musical notes down a guitar neck, DJ Hero will flow the music down and around a virtual record in a half arc. Either left top to middle bottom if you are left handed, or right top to middle bottom if you are right handed.

To play you will have to either hold a sample button and scratch, just hold a button or just scratch as the neon icons flow around the virtual vinyl.

Currently the wireless controller has grooves molded into the bottom so it will sit comfortably in a player's lap, though the team is also looking into legs for the deck so gamers can play while standing up.

The game in its current form features all mash-ups, think Beyonce Vs Jimi Hendrix, 50 cent Vs Beastie Boys. If they can nail the interface and get licensing for the music this could be a mammoth hit.

kotaku.com

Popular Dutch DJ Tiësto has added his pseudonym to the list of musical acts appearing in Activision's DJ Hero, a game the publisher has yet to officially announce. Tiësto spilled the beans via his newsletter.

The newsletter read "We are proud to announce that Tiësto has teamed up with the game developer Activision and their latest project DJ Hero." DJ Hero is rumored to ship with a turntable controller and support Guitar Hero controllers for co-op jam sessions.

Tiësto said via his newsletter: “I am very excited about this! I think this is a great way to introduce people into DJing. Maybe they realize it’s not as easy as they think. I am sure this brings new fans to the scene, dance music is not far from hip-hop for example. Hopefully the music I have composed appeals to all kinds of fans!”

DJ Paul Oakenfold was reported to have seen the game, but indicated he wasn't involved in contributing to the soundtrack.

Activision also has a trademark filed for Dance Hero, which also hasn't yet been announced.

kotaku.com

I'm gonna be buying this one on release. I love rhythm games, and the music in this one is right up my alley.

I think the haters are just upset that "their" franchise is venturing out into other musical genres away from rock.

How utterly pointless.

I actually want this game but,

1) I don't want to support Activision because recently they have become c*nts.

2) It is massively over priced.

3) I don't want to buy it and then have a a better/different set of decks come out in the next version.

4) If Harmonix followed suit I'd rather buy their version because I think asthetically the GH games look rank.

definately not going to buy buy it. however that video has really improved my opinion of the game. It looks way better than i thought it would.

What does it retail at anyway?

I still don't see who the target audience is...

Most people interested in this and willing to spend that amount will more likely get the equipment. It's not something that everyone wants to do, like Guitar/Drums.

Edited by Cube

guessing it doent really have much multiplayer options? will it just be a score battle type thing? i personally dont really like playing Rock Band unless there a few people playing. Find it a lil boring with one player.

It's not something that everyone wants to do, like Guitar/Drums.

I don't want to do Guitar or Drums. Don't you try and group me with you people! :p

Still, this game does interest me but its probably going to be awful and expensive as all get out.

Well Daft gets his wish; Daft Punk are making 11 unique mixes for the game.

Their music and 'appearance' (presumably dressed in those robot-ey suits) will be featured as well as a live venue that looks similar to their recent shows, making it "the next best thing to being at a Daft Punk gig". 8 out of 11 of the tracks are;

• Daft Punk “Around the World” vs. Young MC “Bust A Move”

• Daft Punk “Da Funk” vs. NASA “Strange Enough ft. Karen O, ODB and Fatlip”

• Daft Punk “Da Funk” vs. Queen “Another One Bites the Dust”

• Daft Punk “Robot Rock” vs. Hashim “Al-Naafiysh (The Soul)”

• Daft Punk “Robot Rock” vs. Queen “We Will Rock You”

• Daft Punk “Short Circuit” vs. Boogie Down Productions “Jack Of Spades”

• Daft Punk “Technologic” vs. Gary Numan “Cars”

• Daft Punk “Television Rules The Nation” vs. No Doubt “Hella Good”

Oh em gee daft punk!

:o

Argh if this wasn't so damn expensive i'd buy it in a heart beat :(

I wonder when this whole rhythm game bubble is gonna burst?

This isn't on my Xmas list nor is the revamped Tony Hawks plus skate controller either.

I just watched a video of one of the songs Daft Punk made.

It was a Robot rock mixed up with Queen´s We will rock you.

I felt violated after watching that.

They're trying to sell this as a party game. The idea is you get your mates around and take turns at doing the mixes. I don't really get it though, but then again I didn't get guitar hero either.

Activision Subtracts From 7 Studios

In April, publisher Activision purchased 7 Studios, then the developer of DJ Hero competitor Scratch the Ultimate DJ. Today, Kotaku has been told by sources close to the studio, it laid off an estimated 30 people from 7 Studios.

The Los Angeles based 7 Studios was at the heart of an ensuing lawsuit filed by Scratch publisher Genius Products and turntable controller maker Numark Industries. That suit alleged that Activision and 7 Studios conspired to withhold Scratch the Ultimate DJ "in an effort to delay the development and release of Scratch and to gain access to proprietary technology."

Activision denied any wrongdoing in its purchase of 7 Studios, saying the buy out was made to "bolster its development capabilities," that it "provided the fledgling developer with much needed financing during these difficult economic times."

Scratch the Ultimate DJ ultimately found a new developer in Commotion Interactive.

Activision reps provided the following statement to Kotaku.

"Since the completion of its acquisition by Activision, 7 Studios has realigned its business to focus its development resources on the music genre. As a part of this realignment, the studio is reducing its workforce to better reflect Activision's upcoming slate of music-based games."

The 30 or so employees let go today represented approximately half of the entirety of 7 Studios, according to our source. We're attempting to get confirmation from Activision on the accuracy of that figure.

In short - Activision, as a company are cunts, buying out companies and laying people off, they seem to like playing 'god'...

I wasn't completely sold on DJ Hero but after hearing this I'm not sure I would buy it purely because it's like condoning their actions, plus their CEO or w/e - the guy who wants to push up prices etc - is an arsehole.

Bleh, Activision used to be a reasonably decent company that published pretty good games, now look what's happened to them. :blank:

In short - Activision, as a company are cunts, buying out companies and laying people off, they seem to like playing 'god'...

I wasn't completely sold on DJ Hero but after hearing this I'm not sure I would buy it purely because it's like condoning their actions, plus their CEO or w/e - the guy who wants to push up prices etc - is an arsehole.

Bleh, Activision used to be a reasonably decent company that published pretty good games, now look what's happened to them. :blank:

Activision have also closed down Shaba Games (developer of Spider-man: Web of Shadow)

So, did anyone get this? I picked it up tonight after wanting a fresh twist on the rhythm genre - and got what I was looking for. I'm having to totally relearn how to play it and play most tracks on Medium/Hard for now despite there not being a fail meter (that I've seen?). It's so satisfying pulling off a successful mix in certain parts, and the controller is comfy to use (I've got it propped up on a small table, not tried it on my lap).

The Tears for Fears/Eric Prydz song is ACE. Can't get enough of it.

I would get this but (a) it costs way too much (b) I don't buy Activision games and © the song list will never be good enough.

I may ask for it for Xmas but I doubt someone will get it for me. If they do, I'm sure it'll be fun. I've heard good things.

I would like it, but not at the current price. And i'm not buying activision games until they stop being douches.