N-Europe

The House of The Dead: Overkill

Helmsly

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours is great for a lightgun game ( was Umbrella Chronicles similar? ) & as D_prOdigy said i'm sure i read somewhere it's different everytime you play through it. I will pick this up but not day 1 though the collectors edition looks tempting.

There is an unlockable 'directors cut', which takes different routes through each level etc and that effectively doubles the replay.

Since i've only played arcade light gun games, 3 hours is obviously an improvement on 20 mins. Initially it seems short though.

Eurogamer did slate the Hand Cannons.

Meh, 3 hours is the standard for lightgun games. Tbh, it's how they should be; shhort, fun and very addictive.

IGN review is up.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/951/951652p1.html

Anticipation sky high. Must stop reading reviews now.

Oh, and was I the only one that hated HOTD4? Uzis just didn't do it at all for me.

Overkill is looking very promising. Oh, and I liked HotD4, I wish they port it to consoles...

Eurogamer gave a very good review too:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/952482.asp

"Combined with the occasionally grating script, these moments of weakness and imbalance can cause The House of the Dead: Overkill to feel flat at times. But that's only because they're thrown into stark relief by the rest of the game's frankly amazing quality, attention to detail and largesse: the impeccable presentation and production values, the clever and generous structure, the compelling scoring, the intoxicating flow of the levels. Incredibly for such a simple and strictly limited game, it almost never tries your patience, and it's made with such infectious and irreverent glee and such obvious pride, you can't help but join in."

Egde Reviews:

House of the Dead: Overkill - 8

Let's Tap - 8

Deadly Creatures - 5

Killzone 2 - 7

FEAR 2: Project Origin - 8

Halo Wars - 7

Race Pro - 8

The Maw - 5

Lord of the Rings: Conquest - 2

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins - 6

Crayon Physics Deluxe - 7

Flower - 7

Boing! Docomodake - 7

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile - 6

Lets Tap got an 8/10!! look forward to some more previews/reviews of that!

Anyways, I'm pretty much sold on this now!

Eurogamer also gave it a rave review and a score of 8/10. :)

Anyway this looks like the first Wii game i'll end up buying since a long time ago. I'm glad I refrained from purchasing any other Light-gun game now as this looks brill.

Egde Reviews:

House of the Dead: Overkill - 8

Let's Tap - 8

Deadly Creatures - 5

Killzone 2 - 7

FEAR 2: Project Origin - 8

Halo Wars - 7

Race Pro - 8

The Maw - 5

Lord of the Rings: Conquest - 2

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins - 6

Crayon Physics Deluxe - 7

Flower - 7

Boing! Docomodake - 7

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile - 6

hmhmh I find it hard to believe that killzone 2 got less than this..

Edge seem to review a game based on the genre rather than the overall experience... For example yes house of the dead is a very good light-gun game.

BUT they don't appeal to everyone and for the same money aren't as long as the other wii games of the same score.. I believe metroid prime 3 got less than 1 and 2 mayeb because it wasn't as long as 1 and 2..

What do you think do you think a game should be judges by it's own genre or compared to the best on the wii and value for money.. im conflicted on this a little I must say.

Are the handcannons meant to be any good? They're £9.99 on play. I would like a couple of good guns. I like the zapper, but a one handed gun would be great if the trigger actually shot and there was a button on the back - the A button. So you can do action button, gesture and shoot with one hand.

hmhmh I find it hard to believe that killzone 2 got less than this..

Edge seem to review a game based on the genre rather than the overall experience... For example yes house of the dead is a very good light-gun game.

BUT they don't appeal to everyone and for the same money aren't as long as the other wii games of the same score.. I believe metroid prime 3 got less than 1 and 2 mayeb because it wasn't as long as 1 and 2..

What do you think do you think a game should be judges by it's own genre or compared to the best on the wii and value for money.. im conflicted on this a little I must say.

Maybe the games are fun.

I love EDGE. Killzone 2 wouldn't be getting half the attention it is if it were on the XBOX. Don't get me wrong, I love it's graphical style and it looks cool, but is it really all that? Probably not, it's just the Holy Grail for PS3 fanboys - you see it everywhere - glowing red eyes for avatars, new signature bars and angry forum goers ready to go in for the kill when anyone criticses the most wonderful game ever (which they haven't actually played yet because it's not been released).