N-Europe

Wierdest Internet Myths

navarre

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No entry fee yes, but they want a weekly payment instead.

I don't know how it's in the UK, but from what I remember here (haven't been to a church in over 10 years) they pass a basket between the rows, and there's no one looking at the donations you make.

The point is, in Christianity faith comes first money comes after, in scientology its all about the money.

Yeah, my time on a Sunday morning is worth more than money.

Do I sound like a priest? Its your choice, do whatever you want with your Sunday mornings.

Religion is about believing something that the only evidence for, if any, is a voice in your head.

You have just proven to me you don't understand it at all.

Religion is not only about believing in a God, but practicing your faith in your everyday life. Its about doing the right thing also. Also, the Bible isn't to be taken literally I'd also like to point out. This is something they say in almost every mass in the catholic church.

And about the collection basket thing. While they do ask for you to make a small donation, thats completely optional. You don't need to pay to be a member of a religion.

Religion is not only about believing in a God, but practicing your faith in your everyday life. Its about doing the right thing also. Also, the Bible isn't to be taken literally I'd also like to point out. This is something they say in almost every mass in the catholic church.

And about the collection basket thing. While they do ask for you to make a small donation, thats completely optional. You don't need to pay to be a member of a religion.

Guys, all religion discussions are bound to escalate. Do us all a favour and create another thread for it if you want a debate about it. I really don't want to read another thread about religion, and as this thread isn't even about the topic, you should go somewhere else with it. Pwease?

It's about doing what your god(s) say is the right thing, and regarding taking the bible literally: ever been to an evangelist church? They will often tell you that the bible is the literal word of their god.

Anyway, enough of religion, it's boring hearing the same useless arguments 500 times. They're only remotely interesting with either religious fanatics, who are humours, or Haden, who actually thinks.

One persistent myth (well, one that has spread onto the internet from the 'real world', where ever that is...) is that all feminists are female-superioritists who want nothing less than the death of all men. It's a myth that is massively annoying, as a feminist, by definition, is someone who, regardless of their gender, thinks men and women should be equal. I'm a feminist, and I dare say that most other forumites hereabouts are too.

Back on topic (before this thread gets locked)

The virus warnings that come through are the best. The ones that say AOL and Microsoft have confirmed a dangerous virus called BLOWMe.exe. It's 600000x more dangerous than the last one. It causes your screen to blow up, kills your first born male child and rapes your grandma.

One persistent myth (well, one that has spread onto the internet from the 'real world', where ever that is...) is that all feminists are female-superioritists who want nothing less than the death of all men. It's a myth that is massively annoying, as a feminist, by definition, is someone who, regardless of their gender, thinks men and women should be equal. I'm a feminist, and I dare say that most other forumites hereabouts are too.

I heard a couple of feminists on the radio saying that what they are fighting against is the patronising and demoralising way that men talk to women.

I thought to myself, "awwww, that's sweet, but they're not going to get anywhere with it."

Guys, no religion talk. :nono:

I think some feminists are seeing what they want to see, i.e. sexual discrimination everywhere. I'd even say women get positive discrimination in some cases, for example cases about alleged rape or child custody.

Some countries the men get priority over children rather than women, like china.

Ive been to a church, well cathedral, and they charged entry.

That's completely different for a number of reasons. You're paying to have a look at the cathedral, the money will go to help the upkeep and pay the security guys' wages. You're not paying for your faith, you're helping a work of art being preserved.

Ive been to a church, well cathedral, and they charged entry.

Most landmark cathedrals do, in order to preserve their beauty. But that is by no means Christianity as a whole.

Have you ever been to church?

They pass around baskets, and basically force you donate by the dirty looks they give you if you don't

The donations then are optional, and only require you to give around a pound of your money. And seeing as it goes to worthy charities, I think it's rather reasonable, eh?

I'm a feminist, and I dare say that most other forumites hereabouts are too.

I'm not a feminist. Feminism contradicts itself. Why protest for the equality of one group of people? Surely, if you're going to fight for equality, do so for all groups. Equality shouldn't have bounds and restrictions to gender.

But that myth is a rather popular one, I agree there.

One persistent myth (well, one that has spread onto the internet from the 'real world', where ever that is...) is that all feminists are female-superioritists who want nothing less than the death of all men. It's a myth that is massively annoying, as a feminist, by definition, is someone who, regardless of their gender, thinks men and women should be equal.

I'm not a feminist. Feminism contradicts itself. Why protest for the equality of one group of people? Surely, if you're going to fight for equality, do so for all groups. Equality shouldn't have bounds and restrictions to gender.

well, the fish has just been proven right. its litteraly made me facepalm.

well, the fish has just been proven right. its litteraly made me facepalm.

OK, please highligh in BOLD the part of my post in which I stated 'All feminists wish death upon all men'. Either you point it out, you're illeterate, or you just don't read posts.

About religion:

Here's one book that explains the reason why we need to have religion:

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable.

[/thread]

About internet myths, yeah, those internet myths of Messenger, in which you have to send 40 emails so your character turns blue instead of green, piss me off, and most of the kids in my school believe it, i should make them pay me some time with a scheme, just to show them their lame-ness (is that a correct word? Lame-ness?)

About religion:

Here's one book that explains the reason why we need to have religion:

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable.

[/thread]

About internet myths, yeah, those internet myths of Messenger, in which you have to send 40 emails so your character turns blue instead of green, piss me off, and most of the kids in my school believe it, i should make them pay me some time with a scheme, just to show them their lame-ness (is that a correct word? Lame-ness?)

I'm fed up with people recommending books concerning religion to try and broaden understanding. I make up my own mind, I don't need the God Dillusion or the above book to change my views. Those books are crowded with too much bias, and bias is never a good think when it comes reporting. At the end of the day, books designed to convert believers to aethiests are only really going to be hailed by aethiests, and ignored by believers, and vice versa. For if your religious beliefs can be swayed by the opinions of one authour, it begs the question: were you really religious in the first place?

The book isn't only about Religion and it isn't trying to turn anyone from one religion to Atheism...

What this Book tells us is the fact that Humans need to believe something, they need to have something logical in their minds, they can't be "born out of nothing" just like that, there has to be a logical reason in their minds, from that comes religion, and then from that, comes Faith.

The book is really awesome, im almost halfway through it, and it isn't only about Religion, it talks about the problem on our Minds, that seeks too much Logic in a world that's so random.