NEurope
Charlie

Beijing Olymics 2008

I have just learned that the abbreviation for the World Taekwondo Federation is, indeed, WTF. LOL.

S***...Anyone watching Taekwondo? A Cuban player just kicked the referee in the head for disqualifying him. 0_0

... Yes, I saw it.

Awesome, and people think football is bad.

The taekwondo guy just kicked the ref in the head after a bad decision.

... Yes, I saw it.

LOL...Never caught that...but man, watching it still feels me with shock, what a fucked up thing to do. He and his coach are disqualified for life now from Taekwondo... I'm sure he'll be big in the Cuban underworld tho.

And he calls himself a martial artist. That was disgraceful.

Pussy kick as well.

Fucking disgrace.

Not only should be he be disqualified for taking the sport into the next Olympics, he should be barred from practising it altogether.

I hope the ref sues him, that's such poor spotsmanship conduct

Hope he gets a good life ban from the sport too

i liked the bbc commentry

that courage, intensity, indomitable spirit and the honesty of clean competition

then bang..

i liked the bbc commentry

then bang..

The funniest were the Australian commentators... The French didn't seem all that surprised at all. ^^

I heard he was banned from participating in any World Taekwondo Federation competitions and that even his coach was too. Poor coach (unless he did something too; didn't notice if he did).

"The World Taekwondo Federation said after the match that Matos, along with his coach, Leodis González, would be banned from all its future sanctioned events and his records at the Beijing Games would be erased. " (From New York Times.)

As a Cuban-American I have to say that was pretty lame. Not going to help people view Cuba in a better light.

I heard he was banned from participating in any World Taekwondo Federation competitions and that even his coach was too. Poor coach (unless he did something too; didn't notice if he did).

"The World Taekwondo Federation said after the match that Matos, along with his coach, Leodis González, would be banned from all its future sanctioned events and his records at the Beijing Games would be erased. " (From New York Times.)

As a Cuban-American I have to say that was pretty lame. Not going to help people view Cuba in a better light.

...You should read those youtube comments...:(

Oh, YouTube comments are the worst. I'll check it out right now.

... My favorite: "Just another ignorant American." :indeed:

Switch of Topic:

Kenny Egan just lost his Light-Heavyweight Final to get Silver medal for Ireland. Was a good tense fight and the crowd was like something at a pro boxing match was madness. Good atmosphere, shame Kenny didn't get the gold the Irish would have ran riot with joy. He should have had more points too in fairness though, he mad some good clean hits that didn't get scored and the chinese guy was getting points for shadow boxing at times.... though in fairness the chinese guy also had some clean hits that he didn't get points for.

What was great though was how Kenny composed himself afterwards. While getting his silver medal you could see he was understandably disappointed, as he said himself, you win a silver so you want more, but there was still a sense of pride in it all.

Lovely moments too like when the chinses boxer got his gold medal he turned to shake hands with Kenny, who shock his hand, then Kenny held the gold medal and gave it a kiss as if to say goodbye.... or see you in four years (if he doesn't go pro).

Then when they were off the podium Kenny and the chinese boxer (sorry i can't remember his name :heh:) stood together for a photo spot (which i'm trying to find but none of the coverage sites seem to have up yet) which was cool.

2 bronze medals and 1 silver from the boxing team (and thats our only medals too).

Would have liked to hear our anthem played just the once at the games.

And we only had 5 boxers at the games so for 3 out of 5 to medal is pretty awesome... not only that all 5 of the them, the person they lost to ended up winning the gold in their weight class which is a bit of a coinicedence, I know if i lost to someone I would like to see them win the gold, at least you can then say you lost to the best :heh:

Well done to Kenny Egan anyway and our other two medalists, Paddy Barnes and Darren Sutherland

Darren said he's going pro, but hopefully we'll see Kenny and Paddy in London in four years to go for Gold :)

Looking forward to the closing ceremony later on today also. Can't believe it's all over already :(

That closing ceremony was pretty good. David Beckham and Jimmy Page for the win, I'd say. :smile:

They've got to come up with something good for 2012's opening ceremony. Seeing as our history involves pissing off the entire world, we ought to concentrate on things we're celebrated for. Things like sport, comedy and music.

Plus the announcements should be made in English only. Failing that, the other announcements should be the same as the first announcement but slower and louder so the foreigners can understand it.

Maybe we ought to get a Great Britain team assembled for football in 2012. In some way, England should be involved in the football then.

The British Olympic Commitee are pushing for men and womens GBR Football teams, since as hosts they autoqualify, the English FA support it but the 3 (Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) are against it, various reasons, one of which i believe is they worry if it happened then FIFA could insist on them have a GB team in regular football events.

If there are teams at 2012, i wouldn't be surprised if they both consisted of only English players due to the other FA's refusal to take part.

Anyway, seeing as i started the Olympics with a video, figured i had to close them with one also.

The British Olympic Commitee are pushing for men and womens GBR Football teams, since as hosts they autoqualify, the English FA support it but the 3 (Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) are against it, various reasons, one of which i believe is they worry if it happened then FIFA could insist on them have a GB team in regular football events.

If there are teams at 2012, i wouldn't be surprised if they both consisted of only English players due to the other FA's refusal to take part.

Anyway, seeing as i started the Olympics with a video, figured i had to close them with one also.

I'd be wary of a British team due to the aforementioned reasons, but I wouldn't object to them fielding a team of English players from the Championship or lower. Possibly with an age limit of 23 or something.

Oh trust me, I by no means view or hold Cuba accountable. He's obviously let down his country, but this is more a personal issue then a national one.

Closing ceremony fantastic. Leona Lewis looked stunning and sounded great as usual. I'm proud that we've used two great British icons (Leona and Beckam) to promote London 2012.

I'd be wary of a British team due to the aforementioned reasons, but I wouldn't object to them fielding a team of English players from the Championship or lower. Possibly with an age limit of 23 or something.

Olympic football rules are players must be 21 years or under, with each country allowed to field 3 players above that age.

FIFA came up with this rule cuz they didn't want full pro international teams competing at the Olympics incase it overshadowed/distracted from their own World Cup.

Which is crazy cuz only 16 teams qualify for the Olympic football tournament, which is half that of the World Cup.

Closing ceremony fantastic. Leona Lewis looked stunning and sounded great as usual. I'm proud that we've used two great British icons (Leona and Beckam) to promote London 2012.

erm... Jimmy Page doesn't count :heh:

Page is more of an icon than those two combined. I saw Leona appear and was, meh, I heard before the show started Beckham would be there and thought, why?

And saw Page appear and was like, "Oh hell yeah, get some Led out":bowdown:

Leona's influence and popularity is undeniable, hence the reason she was chosen. The sound quality of her performance was poor, but she still sounded great.

I'm sorry, I'm aware that Page is an icon, but Lewis was the highlight of the show.

Did anyone else just find Boris Johnson really embarrising in that? Walking to get the flag with his jacket undone, putting his hands in his pockets loads.

Yeah we know him as the lovable idiot but this was being shown to the whole world. The guy really should have made an effort.

^ That is exactly what I and the people that were around me were thinking.

Did nobody else spot Jackie Chan singing at the end?

Forgot to say yesterday, was cool they got him in on the show... though I would have liked to see him do a Kung Fu display. Think a few people round him were actors too, as they looked familar like i seen them in films before

Did anyone else just find Boris Johnson really embarrising in that? Walking to get the flag with his jacket undone, putting his hands in his pockets loads.

Yeah we know him as the lovable idiot but this was being shown to the whole world. The guy really should have made an effort.

Yup. But, well, I guess that just adds to his comical ego.