Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Red Steel 2 (£4.95 @Zavvi)

blender

Fierce, I understand what you're saying completely and would have loved this to have sold better, but I'm just supporting the reasons this didn't do as well as some might have hoped. Like the whole score thing, sure 8.5 is a great score, but when you own other consoles or a PC you have 10/10s being thrown around every other month, undeservingly or not, that's going to convince someone to buy God of War 3 or FFXIII over Red Steel 2. That's another thing, not the best month to release a third-party wii game :heh:

As for the rare breed of gamer who buys games such as LKS and the like, I think they're rare on all consoles and if anything are more apparant on Nintendo ones. If Little King's Story was released on another console, I don't see it doing half as well.

I know I'm writing this in a way which implies "You're wrong! STFU!" but honestly, I'm on your side. I'm just trying defend this game's sales, because I think while it hasn't lit the gaming world on fire, it's done a hell of a lot better than what could have been an utter disaster. There are many reasons as to why this could have done a lot worse.

And who knows, sales could always pick up, that seems to be the norm on Wii lately.

I agree most of what you were saying and I knew we were on the same side. Make love not war, sucker. You never know, it might just prove to be a slow burner, as a fair few might pick it up when the price drops.

Saying that, I paid 30 quid for mine. 30 quid for a quality game and a motionplus is a bargain. Even if you don't want to use the motionplus for other games, 30 quid for a new game isn't too bad. I think I paid around 25 or something for Silent Hill, so it's around the same.

Haven't played this tonight as the football was on. Gonna sleep and play some more tomorrow, when I'm feeling fresh...after work.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

game sold about 55 000 in the US in its first week. Makes it a total of 68 000 in first week sales, Lets hope for legs.

If you're taking this from vgchartz, i'm going to shoot you.

I'm sure it's safe to say that many folk will be hoping that this and MH3 will do well.

If you're taking this from vgchartz, i'm going to shoot you.

I'm sure it's safe to say that many folk will be hoping that this and MH3 will do well.

you can blame vgchatz all you want, but the mattere effect is that there is no significant difference in number if you compare the NPD date to the VG data (most of the time they are of by a view thousend).

and its the only data we have at the moment.

Ok, several things are starting to piss me off:

1. A game has been out for a few days and everyone leaps on sales figures to perpetuate the myth that Wii games don't sell. I thought we'd established by now that Wii games are growers. This is absurd people! What happened to the news of great pre-order figures and good sales in the US? All the naysaying on here and in the media in general seems to ignore the news that Madworld, Conduit, NMH, CoD etc have sold well and the devs are happy.

2. People cry that we won't receive third party support. Wii has had loads of great 3rd party stuff, with greater strength and breadth than the Gamecube. Everyone really just wants the multi-million dollar 'realistic' 'mature' titles that are already available on other consoles. It's also too late in the Wii's lifespan for this sort of thing to make much difference. If Red Steel 2 went through the roof in sales it would be regarded (or spun) as an anomaly by the media etc anyway.

3. Since when did we owe Red Steel or Ubisoft anything?! You can rose tint it all you like, but the original was extremely dodgy and singlehandedly put a lot of people I know off the Wii for good. It's actually completely understandable if someone thinks 'Red Steel, wasn't that a piece of shit..?' and doesn't want to buy a sequel.

My copy with M+ arrived last friday from Amazon. I've not had the time to play through much, but suffice to say, after the tedious opening tutorials it *is* improving and really staring to suck me in. Graphics are fab, controls are infinitely better than the first, gameplay so far seems unimaginative but satisfying. I only wish they'd made a tiny bit of an effort with the story, which seems as cookie-cutter as the first. But of course it's too early to tell ;)

@Lens of Truth

1. Yes, and people seem to forget that developing a game on Wii is a lot cheaper compared to a PS3/X360 game. For instance Heavenly Sword on PS3 sold 1.5 million and still didn't make a profit!

2. I have to disagree with the Gamecube comment. There's more games, but it is quantity over quality. RE4, Soul Calibur 2, SSX3, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Viewtiful Joe, Star Wars Rogue Leader, Timesplitters 2, Burnout 2, Beyond Good & Evil etc. felt like state-of-the art in gaming back then. No third party Wii game has the same impact this generation.

3. Agree

Edited by Ren of Heavens

you can blame vgchatz all you want, but the mattere effect is that there is no significant difference in number if you compare the NPD date to the VG data (most of the time they are of by a view thousend).

Yes, there's a massive difference. VGChartz pulls numbers from their asses based on dodgy "analyses".

Yes, there's a massive difference. VGChartz pulls numbers from their asses based on dodgy "analyses".

ofcourse that can be true, but untill we get official number for the european sales or NPD data from the US (or from ubisoft itself) this is the only thing we got.

Also i played the game with a friend a view days back, and while playing be intantly sayed: I bet that this control scheme will make wonders in a game like condemned(look it up on youtube). And i must say i agree with him, it would be a match made in heaven.

EDIT:

Also 68k for its first week isnt that bad, red steel was a launch title for the wii and that always going to sell better.

Edited by marcel

2. I have to disagree with the Gamecube comment. There's more games, but it is quantity over quality. RE4, Soul Calibur 2, SSX3, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Viewtiful Joe, Star Wars Rogue Leader, Timesplitters 2, Burnout 2, Beyond Good & Evil etc. felt like state-of-the art in gaming back then. No third party Wii game has the same impact this generation.

Not played LKS, Silent Hill, NMH, MadWorld, TvC, Zack and Wiki or Ókami then? Oh, and then of course there's Red Steel 2, you know, the game we're discussing over.

Just recieved my copy today, my first experience with Motion Plus, it nearly baffled me.

Nearly.

I'm loving this game so far, very tight, still slightly miffed with the name though. I feel this should have it's own name rather than carrying on the legacy of a broken launch game which we'd all rather forget about.

I have to disagree with the Gamecube comment. There's more games, but it is quantity over quality. RE4, Soul Calibur 2, SSX3, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Viewtiful Joe, Star Wars Rogue Leader, Timesplitters 2, Burnout 2, Beyond Good & Evil etc. felt like state-of-the art in gaming back then. No third party Wii game has the same impact this generation.

I shouldn't have stated it as fact. Perhaps I got carried away there ;) Every single one of the games you mention bar Rogue Leader though was also available on PS2 or Xbox, and so not exactly a unique strength of the gamecube. Of course, we know why the situation's different now - for games to be 'shared' with the Wii, they would require a little work to port. A lot of devs have never gotten over the fact that Nintendo didn't up the power more and are scared by motion conrols, so they can't be arsed. This ties in to your point about 'state of the art'. Wii is about the smaller more unusual games. For me, there's been more fun and originality with the likes of Zack & Wiki, Muramasa, Opoona, No More Heroes, Fragile Dreams, Little Kings Story, A Boy and his Blob, Silent Hill, Boom Blox, Rabbids Go Home, Endless Ocean. Only RE4 wipes the floor there as far as I'm concerned, but there's an improved edition of that too - plus Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside aren't bad.

Do you see where I'm coming from though? The Wii has given a different angle to things. Personally, it's brought me out of feeling jaded with gaming in general. Plenty of people seem to shun these more left field games (has a mainstream console ever received such outright hatred from both the gaming media and gamers themselves?) and to most people it's as if they don't exist. That's fine if they're not your cup of tea, but if you have another console, what's the issue? [not directed at you]

I'm enjoying Red Steel 2 and hope it gets the sales it deserves, but honestly, let's drop the "this was our chance to make the Wii good and *YOU* blew it!" nonsense.

Apparently this (and Mario kart) are £20 at Asda...but take that as you will, i can't 100% confirm it.

Correct. All top 5 or top 10 (depends on the size of your store) Wii games are £20 until next Thursday.

Anywhoo, I havent spent much time with this but I reached the boss 'Payne' the other day, and can't beat him at all. Can get his health down 50% the odd time, but his minions usually end up shooting me or he grabs me and throws me in the air which results in game over. Am I the only one struggling here? :blush:

Edited by welsh_gamer

Amazon.com shipped my Red Steel 2 - Prima Essential Guide on March 31, 2010 and they say I get it Estimated Arrival: April 2, 2010 wich is today and UPS says

Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 06/04/2010. I dont now who to belive.

This and MK was still £32 or so instore at ASDA for me. Dunno if they still had to change it or what though.

:(

I think it's just an old label. I just got mine today for £20, so thanks very much for that, Owen.

UPS as they're the ones who are delivering it. Amazon's is probably an automated [date + x days] calculation and won't take into account there won't be any post today or Monday

Would there be post on Easter Saturday?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!