Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Red Steel 2 (£4.95 @Zavvi)

blender

Gamer Impressions:

I played the game at E3 and got a little disappointed with it: the graphics were nice and the art surely stunning, but the gameplay felt sluggish and the controls were not as mind blowing as i expected them to be (the Kendo in Wii Sports Resort was sooooo much better in every single way).

Last week i played it again and frankly i was pretty much blown away by the improvements.

The graphics are now fuck-amazing (visuals are super crisp and clean, colors are vibrant and it runs sooo smoothly... 60fps FTW!!), the controls work very well in terms of responsiveness and feeling (i love the fact that it's a truly phisical game, a real swordfighting experience that makes you sweat!) and the action is brutally intense (the rhythm is just perfect, you keep switching between swords and guns in a furious alternation of melee and ranged attacks).

Despite the steep learning curve it just plays damn good, really.

There's only one aspect that frankly (still) disappointed me: the game design is a little demodé, with one room full of enemies after another and corridors between them... A structure that was perfectly fine in 2000, not so much in 2010.

But really it went pretty much from "no thanks" to "drool drool day one" for me.

Oh and Jason VandenBerghe is the coolest guy in the biz, period.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pre-ordered the special edition from Play.com with motion plus for 44.99, however the amazon.com price is awesome, 29.73 with motion plus, but the special edition is play exclusive and looks awesome, plus two extra in game weapons...

I'm trying to work out for myself if the extra weapons and fancy book is worth the added £15. :heh:

I know logically it's not... but it's so tempting.

I'm trying to work out for myself if the extra weapons and fancy book is worth the added £15. :heh:

I know logically it's not... but it's so tempting.

Yes, it's 50% price hike... so logically the answer is NO. But I clearly am not logical in this record, so pre-order FTW!

I pre-ordered the special edition from Play.com with motion plus for 44.99, however the amazon.com price is awesome, 29.73 with motion plus, but the special edition is play exclusive and looks awesome, plus two extra in game weapons...

15 quid extra for a special edition? You could buy another game with that money. Although, sometimes I think to myself that if I am buying something, you should buy the best version of that...thing that you are buying.

It reminds me of a time when I dragged 3 friends from shop to shop when I had a craving to buy Close Encounters of the Third Kind on DVD. I was looking for a particular version. Found it in the end, but they weren't all that pleased with me, haha.

Also, I'm a bit tired of reading previews and hands-on impressions at this point. I just want to play the actual game now. See for myself what it's like.

• 2 weeks later...
The PAL version of this has been leaked on torrents.

I can understand someone without the game wanting to download the game, but the thing that pisses me off the most is the scum who already have the game, decide to rip it and upload it to the internet!

I mean, why bother. The up-loader already has the game, why do they feel the need to upload it and ultimately fuck it up for us paying customers?

I need to get my Wii fixed soon, hopefully have it fixed by the Summer.

Brilliant. Very intelligent. It's 2010 so let's just let it happen and never challenge anything again. Awesome.

That's very smart how you turned what he said into that. Do you do that often? Mangle and twist people's words into something different just for the sake of getting your views across? Do you need to reduce everything to absurdist extremes in order to deal with it?

You can't turn such a simple comment like that into a crusade against conformity... measures are being taken against piracy, but of course, we all know there's always going to be a way around those measures, as well as people to exploit it. He pretty much just said you need to stop getting so caught up on something which you already now is going to happen when it does happen, don't blow it out of proportion!

As for me, personally, I like piracy in a "try before you buy" mentality. Because here in Portugal I can't rent games, and if it weren't for piracy, I'd probably would have spent my hard earned money on stuff like Nights or Sonic And The Secret Rings!

But I've bought every single game I liked. Except for Excitebots because I refuse to pay more than 30£ for a game and have yet to find it for less.

i think people need to stop getting so upset and worked up over piracy. it's the year 2010. it's going to happen.

Hey, its 2010. I'll be round your house tonight to steal your possessions, afterwards i'll bludgen you to death with a hammer and eat your cat. Just because people can do things, doesn't mean they should.

That's very smart how you turned what he said into that. Do you do that often? Mangle and twist people's words into something different just for the sake of getting your views across? Do you need to reduce everything to absurdist extremes in order to deal with it?

You can't turn such a simple comment like that into a crusade against conformity... measures are being taken against piracy, but of course, we all know there's always going to be a way around those measures, as well as people to exploit it. He pretty much just said you need to stop getting so caught up on something which you already now is going to happen when it does happen, don't blow it out of proportion!

I've bought every single game I liked. Except for Excitebots because I refuse to pay more than 30£ for a game and have yet to find it for less.

Bloody hell, I mangled twisted and got my views across in 17 words... I'm bloody economic with language.

I would love to know where in those 17 words I'm reducing it to absurdist extremes.

And you are getting defensive because you pirate and thought I was attacking you for it. WRONG. But I guess when you jump in so recklessly you probably get it wrong quite a lot. I have a DS fire card with games on it, I have hacked my Wii, I occasionally download music too... In a similar way to you; try stuff out. I also buy more games, music and films then probably 90% of people on earth.

Saying this, I'm not so closed minded enough to see piracy as a problem that needs a solution, AND (now this is what I was on about with my unspecific 17 words) the main thing I was on about was the mind-set of saying that 'something happens so there's nothing that can be done about it.'

Edited by dazzybee

what i'm saying is we live in a time where stuff like this is inevitable. shit like this always happens - music gets leaked, movies get leaked, games get leaked. NOTHING can be done to stop this. if there was, it would have been done by now.

nintendo for instance has tried so many times in the past to break the homebrew scene with countless updates - both through system updates and on the games themselves. how many times has this worked? there has always been a way around it and there always will.

so i honestly don't understand why people act like someone just murdered their family and fucked their pet rabbit when something gets leaked out there. why is it a such a surprise? and why do people care so much? don't give me the whole "o its because poor sales means no more sequels in future!". poor album and movie sales have similar consequences you know.

as for getting worked up about this guy who has the game leaking it on the internet, isn't that what people like that do? isn't that what happens to music and movies? "sharing is caring" and all that?

Yeah, it is inevitable, a lot of things are. But you have to prevent, prolong, curb in any way can; you don't just leave it or it will get worse and worse. This applies to everything, not just piracy. EVERYTHING.

My take on it, is that I think it is fine, almost healthy in small doses. If people are too poor to buy content then them pirating it isn't an AWFUL thing; if people do it to try before you buy, fine. My problem is the excess some people do it. People who pirate everything.

What is worrying with entertainment is the fear that people don't want to pay for content. Which in the long run would be catastrophic. If people don't get paid for stuff, people won't make it, people want want careers in it.

That is a worst case scenario that i DON'T subscribe to; primarily because I have faith that generally people will pay for stuff when they can afford it. But also because things like piracy ARE challenged by the public and the companies and artists selling it.

So no...it shouldn't just be 'left' because it's inevitably going to happen.

so i honestly don't understand why people act like someone just murdered their family and fucked their pet rabbit when something gets leaked out there. why is it a such a surprise? and why do people care so much? don't give me the whole "o its because poor sales means no more sequels in future!". poor album and movie sales have similar consequences you know.

Matter of perspective, if someone fucked your pet rabbit frequently, why would you be surprised? Doesn't make it less wrong just because bestiality with little bunny anus is widely practised.

As for me, personally, I like piracy in a "try before you buy" mentality.

Would you walk into a supermarket, try some food and only pay for it if you liked it? Of course that's a ridiculous comparison. You won't starve to death if you don't get to play a videogame. It's theft, either way you look it and let's face it, you're not exactly Robin Hood here.

Because here in Portugal I can't rent games, and if it weren't for piracy, I'd probably would have spent my hard earned money on stuff like Nights or Sonic And The Secret Rings!

Then stop associating Sega with quality.

But I've bought every single game I liked. Except for Excitebots because I refuse to pay more than 30£ for a game and have yet to find it for less.

Which is decent of you, but like I said above, even if you pay for it later because you've decided you like it, it doesn't stop it being theft in the first place.

Lack of money is no excuse, I don't have a lot of money and if there is a game I can't afford then that's just how it is. Being able to play games, listen to music or watch films in our spare time is not a right we have as human beings, it's a luxury, a privilege. Don't act like it's such a necessity that you have to 'try before you buy'.

I'm not that "excited" either. It doesn't feel like this game is coming out in around 10 days but I'm still hoping to be blown away as I havent watched any footage since the teaser trailer or read any in-depth stuff about this game. :bouncy:

As I've ordered from Amazon, like the majority of N-E, we probably won't get this till the following Monday or Tuesday, which for once doesn't even bother me, but that's probably becuase Pokemon Silver is out on the same day :heh:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!