NEurope
ReZourceman

The Dark Knight Discussion (Spoilers)

Figured the film warrants its own thread.

What did you guys think? I need to gather my thoughts and post a full impression tomorrow, but....Im suprised to say I thought Batman Begins was better.

I mean...its amazing. It is amazing. But it is sooo different.

Like I said I need to gather my thoughts.

How is batman begins better? It pales in comparison to TDK, it was just so good, the twists were immense, and far better than i thought they would be. The joker was everything i imagined him to be and more, the speeches were great, dent was rather faithful to the comic as well.

Generally one of the best films i've seen, if not the.

Twists? Did I miss something?

Lol, MSN convo to Paj.

ReZourceman - The Lolz Factor says:

Not as good as Begins

Couldn't you just...die?! says:

`SHUT UP

must be the only person in the world who thinks that mind

SHUT UP

SHUT UP

And Claire

I DONT WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING

I just told you how much I liked it

I CLOSED MY EYES DURGIN THE TRAILER

IM NOT READING ANYTHING ELSE YOU SAY OK BYE

I just saw you post in the film thread.

JOKER DIES

HARVEY DENT DIES

BATMAN DIES

ALFRED DIES

RACHEL DIES

I KNOW A BASTARD WARNED ME ALREADY< PLEASE STOP I REALLY HATE SPOILERS

LUCIUS FOX DIES

WAYNE MANOR IMPLODES

GOHTAM TRAIN EXPLODES

MONSTER FROM CLOVERFIELD IS IN IT

Ok that last one had me loling

Seriously, major twists in the spoiler

twists? ok, joker stealing all the money in the first 5 minutes, the judge dying, the mob 'hiring' the joker and killing one of them, harvey dent and rachel, rachel dying, the betrayal cops, gordon dying, gordon not dying, dent as batman, the hostages, the boats, the phone call

Begins is fantastic, but this one is much more complete. A rather fine example of an action masterpiece.

Ok that last one had me loling

Seriously, major twists in the spoiler

twists? ok, joker stealing all the money in the first 5 minutes, the judge dying, the mob 'hiring' the joker and killing one of them, harvey dent and rachel, rachel dying, the betrayal cops, gordon dying, gordon not dying, dent as batman, the hostages, the boats, the phone call

The only thing of those I consider a twist is Jim living when we thought he had died (but seriously...killing Jim before he becomes commissioner? Pffft)

The others Id just say suprises or plot points.

Dont get me wrong...this film was simply amazing, but it didnt live up to my personal expectations. It was a bit weird....but anyway Im tired, Ill explain more in the morn'!

I've bought Batman Begins today, so I'll be watching that tomorrow night then I'm off to see TDK on Saturday.

The only thing of those I consider a twist is Jim living when we thought he had died (but seriously...killing Jim before he becomes commissioner? Pffft)

The others Id just say suprises or plot points.

Dont get me wrong...this film was simply amazing, but it didnt live up to my personal expectations. It was a bit weird....but anyway Im tired, Ill explain more in the morn'!

So you didn't think rachel dying was a twist? your crazy, twists are what you don't expect, like i expected the boats to blow up, but they didn't etc

I think I'll stop reading the thread...

Was gonna say...

*points at the spoilers thingy*

Im looking at this thread thinking everything would be in spoilers boxes if it was important...

Awesome film :D did anyone else find it weird that Barbara only appeared at the end? And I was a little disappointed that

Harvey died. He was only around for such a short time, never a chance to be the awesome criminal mastermind, just a guy out for a little revenge. they should've faked his death or something. Or... maybe they did....

but on the whole, wow, a great film. Wasn't sure at first that I was going to love it, maybe because I just kept seeing things from the trailer. Also wasn't sure how much I was going to like Ledger's Joker, but I quickly changed my mind and ended up loving it.

Awesome film :D did anyone else find it weird that Barbara only appeared at the end? And I was a little disappointed that
Harvey died. He was only around for such a short time, never a chance to be the awesome criminal mastermind, just a guy out for a little revenge. they should've faked his death or something. Or... maybe they did....

but on the whole, wow, a great film. Wasn't sure at first that I was going to love it, maybe because I just kept seeing things from the trailer. Also wasn't sure how much I was going to like Ledger's Joker, but I quickly changed my mind and ended up loving it.

The death of dent was unexpected, but he really couldn't continue could he? with the face like that and the things he did, what really shocked me was the prison inmates saving the boats...

Never thought I'd say this, but Ledger's Joker was even better than Nicholson.

What a tradegy!

Oh, and Shorty, I love the sig.

How do I get me one of those?? Don't worry, I'll use it on another forum

did anyone else find it weird that Barbara only appeared at the end?

She appearead as soon as Jim "died". :blank:

Did she? I only spotted Jim jr., that's why I made a point of it. Guess that ruins my point though :heh:

Oh, and Shorty, I love the sig.

How do I get me one of those?? Don't worry, I'll use it on another forum

Thanks :) How do you get one? Make it yourself, like I did! :heh:

You might be thinking of that Blonde kid from the Narrows that Batman gave his x-ray thing to? Very similar looking kid. And when I said Barbara Gordon, I didn't mean Jim's wife, I meant the future batgirl.

I thought Batman Begins was awesome, but after seeing TDK, oh my god, Begins was just a good restart, TDK is one of those few moments when the sequel not only lives up the 1st film but surpasses it AND your expectations.

Now I went into the cinema with little knowledge of the film, i saw the trailers and was worried they might have shown me too much, as trailers tend to do these days, but after seeing the film what the trailers showed was nothing.

The film was far bigger than I thought too... I didn't even know the running time of the film went I went in. And was pretty pleased to see that at points when i thought it might be over there was still a good hour left in it.

I had read something a few months back that said that Jokers role wasn't the main bad guy that Two-Face would be and that Joker in all the trailers was just to throw people off. Wasn't totally the case and thank god because Heath Ledgers performance as the Joker was Holy Hell Batman that was Fracking amazing. He really did become the Joker. I thought Jack Nicolsons Joker from the 80's film couldn't be touched as I thought he pulled off a great Joker... hell a little part of me wanted to see him do it again, and when Heath was announced as Joker I didn't think he could pull it off.

And all the hype surrounding his Joker I thought might have been clouded by his untimely death (RIP), but my god that Hype was well and truly deserved. If ever they wanna use Joker again in a film whoever gets the task of following that up has got a mighty big job on their hands. He was dark he was crazy he was smart he was sadistic he was scary as hell he was so far out of his bloody mind yet somehow focused.

Below contains major spoilers, i will not bother with tags as the warning in the title should have told you not to come here if you not seen the film yet

And the "twists" mentioned above, yes I would consider them twists too, because they did keep me guessing

Hell even seeing Scarecrow play a small cameo near the start was a surprise, I didn't know he was gonna be there and they got the same actor too, slightly disappointed he only had a cameo part, would have liked to see more.... but then again comic book films with more than 2 villians usually don't fair too well.

Well Joker robbing the bank at the start, I kinda figured it would be him from the start, when the other guys were talking about how they were doing the work while Joker was sitting back didn't seem right, as Joker is such a "hands-on" person, plus the intro for "that guy" also gave the impression he wasn't a normal "thug".

Gordon dying, I was like, "WTF are they doing? You can't kill him? He's meant to be commisioner!!!" I did consider the possibility of it being a set-up but when they "told his wife" and Batman getting so pissed off, it convinces you he isn't coming back. Cuz surely Batman would have been in on it?

Hell I even thought the guy that turned out to be Gordon was Alfred, haha.

Harvey saying he was Batman, I didn't see coming. I didn't think Bruce would reveal himself and thought the conference might be attacked just as he's about to say something. So hearing Harvey go "I'm Batman" was very surprising.

Also in the whole "transporting scene" I thought the guy in the back with Harvey would be Batman, then when he appeared in the Batmobile I was like... huh? Then expected the guy in the back to be working with Joker...in end he was nobody, haha.

The "cell-phone-bomb" I actually figured out when the guy first appeared... but was wondering how Joker was gonna detonate it until he asked for his phone call, haha.

Rachel dying was a surprise too. Everyone expected Batman to save her, everyone knew Harvey would become Two-Face and because of this I don't think anyone would have considered anything else other than Batman saving Rachel. I (and maybe most) thought it what would happen would be in the in explosion Havrvey would somehow get up be out the door half a second too late then have half his face burned, while Batman saved Rachel and then Harvey thinks (and prolly would be right) Rachel won't like him no more and blames Batman for what happened to him.

Joker setting up the "hostages" as the "bad guys" was good too, and seeing Batman having to fight the police was pretty cool, while trying to save the "clowns".... imagine how confused those cops would have been, haha.

The ships, I expected at least one to blow up. What I thought would happen would be that even though Joker said they had the detonator for the "other" boat that it would actually be the detonator for "their" boat (or both).

Kinda like how he told Batman the address where Rachel and Harvey were, but infact Rachel was where he said Harvey would be and vice versa. That too was unexpected.

And then at the end, Batman taking the heat for what Harvey did so that he could protect Harveys reputation and prevent Gotham from going insane was pretty cool.

I love every single second of it, not a single scene out of place. The lenght of the film was just right, to have tried to cut that down to the normal 1.5 hours would have been criminal (like what happened with X-Men 3, DAMN YOU) and you don't ever feel like it was too long, you're just glad it's not over.

Now to the worrying bit, what happens next?

I'm sure the studios will be looking to cash in with a 3rd film, but the recent record of films (especially comic book films) where the 1st and 2nd films where great and everyone looked forward to the 3rd, the 3rd would end up poorly done with not as much effort or care as the previous 2 and be an utter disappointment (i'm still very bitter over the shits that were X3 and Spiderman3).

So what of Batman... I would love to see a 3rd film so long as the same effort was put into it as was done with this film.

But the chances of that happening are slim which is sad. If there is a 3rd it would be odds on favourite to be a giant cash cow with zero substance :(

Just got back...

Oh my dear lord everything people where saying about it were true. Epic, emotional, thrilling, scary. The pacing was perfect and there are literally no negative aspects (well apart from the 'bat-growl' which I thought they were going to tone down).

PS. It made Batman Begins seem shit.

The bat growl improved a little and one thing they really fixed from the last film was the fights. You could actually see who was hitting who this time, it wasn't a confusing zoomed-in flurry like its predecessor.

*turns on the negativity* Were there any parts people didn't like? I always find when I come out of the cinema from a movie I loved, I quickly wind up moving onto the few aspects that bugged me. For me the only real niggle was probably that sonar thing, which seemed a bit silly. Oh and I'm still not down with the whole super-armour Batman. One day someone's going to put two and two together and realise that with all those gadgets, Batman must = super billionnaire and Batman appeared when Wayne returned to Gotham.

Still, loved the film as a whole. It captured Gotham and the crime and corruption so much better than BB.

Yeah - having watched it the day before, it made Batman Begins feel like a small-scale, low budget film in comparison. I think Gotham City felt more real in this film - Batman Begins' use of the Narrows and the futuristic rail system didn't quite seem real. Despite Batman's role in this film being reduced, it was a far better film than Batman Begins and really makes any of the previous Batman films seem like a joke (dancing to Prince in an art gallery...?) and in fact any other superhero movies...

What I really want is for the next Superman film to be on the same level of quality as this....