N-Europe

Iwata-san admits to E3 & friend codes

Dante

Responding to criticism that the Nintendo's E3 showings lacked a major first-party Wii title aimed at the hardcore gamer, president Satoru Iwata has apologized to those who felt betrayed.

"We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings, specifically for those who were expecting to see Nintendo show something about Super Mario or Legend of Zelda," Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told Forbes.

During Nintendo's recent E3 press conference, the company appeared to focus on casual-oriented titles, such as Animal Crossing: City Folk and Wii Sports Resort, and quickly glossed over major hardcore announcements, such as Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on DS and word that the teams for Mario and Zelda were working on new, unspecified titles.

"If there is any perception that Nintendo is ignoring the core gamers, it's a misunderstanding and we really want to get rid of that misunderstanding by any means," he continued. "The so-called big titles need a long, long development period...we really didn't think this year's E3 media briefing was the time to do so."

One of the biggest E3 revelations for hardcore Nintendo fans, news that a new Pikmin game is in the works, came about as a unplanned response to a question from former Shacknews editor Chris Remo.

"I think we're addressing both [hardcore and casual gamers]," marking VP Cammie Dunaway informed Wired, expressing hope that third-party games like Call of Duty: World at War would be enough to sate the desires of hardcore gamers.

"We don't talk about stuff until we've got a great degree of confidence that we're close enough to release it."

The marketing VP confirmed that "the extent" of the Wii's remaining 2008 lineup had been detailed at E3, and also mentioned that despite her announcement of Grand Theft Auto on DS, she had not yet seen the title.

As for a solution to increase the Wii's 512 MB of internal memory, which is used to store downloaded content and has been chastised by developers as limiting the system's potential, Dunaway noted that Nintendo did not yet have a solution to announce, but suggested deleting old, infrequently used content.

Lastly, she expressed her belief that the recently unveiled Wii MotionPlus controller add-on, which increases the precision of the Wii's motion detection capabilities, is likely to "very rapidly" spawn sequels of current and upcoming Wii titles, "because it is a heck of a lot of fun."

Satoru Iwata also admitted that Nintendo's restrictions on interaction via Wii Connect 24 could be improved and has said the company will be working to improve the service in the future.

"First of all, I don't think the current system we have with friend codes is perfect," he said in an interview with GameDaily.

"However, if it's an online world where you can get access to anybody without any restrictions, I as a father do not feel like allowing my daughter be engaged in that kind of world."

Iwata said that the company felt it was important to create a world free of harassment for those who have never experienced online videogames before.

"So we will be studying this," he added, "on an ongoing basis in order to improve Nintendo's own circumstances where people can freely and safely enjoy the communications through the net."

Fair enough, I think a lot of us understand now about why Nintendo approached it the way they did. I'll admit, I was pissed at the moment but now knowing what I do know, I'm alright with it. The rest of the year is not looking too shabby for core titles either. It's not the best, and some are looking like crappy ports (CoD5 specfically) but hey, no complaints.

I feel its wrong he should feel like he should apologise as people had overhyped and anticipated stuff they had no base for and then got upset it wasn't shown at a journalist event.

But alas. As is life.

OMG enough with Mario and Zelda! Seriously what f*cking idiots keep pressing them on that and actually expected to see those franchises specifically!

Nintendo should not feel they have to appoligise for the lack of those games, as everyone should know Zelda needs and indeed should take a good many years to create! as should Mario!... What moron expects to see a new Mario game 6 months after the previous!

I feel its wrong he should feel like he should apologise as people had overhyped and anticipated stuff they had no base for and then got upset it wasn't shown at a journalist event.

But alas. As is life.

When he got home, he took a swim in his Olympic pool filled with money to wash it off.

OMG enough with Mario and Zelda! Seriously what f*cking idiots keep pressing them on that and actually expected to see those franchises specifically!

Nintendo should not feel they have to appoligise for the lack of those two games, as everyone should know Zelda needs and indeed should take a good many years to create! as should Mario!

It just a example of well known core games Retro_Link

It just a example of well known core games Retro_Link
Well yeah but they shouldn't even be an issue! They've been quizzed on those specifically in so many interviews... If someone wants to push them on core games, bring up the franchises we haven't seen and get answers on those!

He probably does use them if he's worried. I think he's just using her as an example. Besides, he knows most parents are too stupid to use them anyway. Honestly. The world is so paranoid now that they'd rather keep people from having fun than get sued.

Maybe someone should point out to Iwata-chan that his god damn console has parental controls, and if his daughter is in the way of a better online system, I will kill her.

Wow, I didn't know that he was a girl :S

TBH, I understood why they did what they did at the conference from the get go and I understand that they don't want to hype or show off games to early but goddamit, nothing for the rest of 2008?! I find it a little worrying that they seem to be blissfully unaware that 3rd parties aren't going to fill the gap very well and that a lot of people don't want to buy AC or WiiSports 2.

I don't really understand how they think they can deliver announcements to the core audience anymore though. Have they really just taken a "well you're all on the net all the time anyway so we can just announce it in a card board box and you'll still hear about it" stance?

TBH, I understood why they did what they did at the conference from the get go and I understand that they don't want to hype or show off games to early but goddamit, nothing for the rest of 2008?! I find it a little worrying that they seem to be blissfully unaware that 3rd parties aren't going to fill the gap very well and that a lot of people don't want to buy AC or WiiSports 2.

I don't really understand how they think they can deliver announcements to the core audience anymore though. Have they really just taken a "well you're all on the net all the time anyway so we can just announce it in a card board box and you'll still hear about it" stance?

He meant his daughter, who I certainly hope is a girl or that would be weird.

Also I have a load of 3rd party games to get for a while, so I don't mind with the lack of Nintendo ones :heh:

I don't think its restricted to girls, it can be used for someone intimate and in a cute way.

He meant his daughter, who I certainly hope is a girl or that would be weird.

Also I have a load of 3rd party games to get for a while, so I don't mind with the lack of Nintendo ones :heh:

Nah, I meant him.

I don't think its restricted to girls, it can be used for someone intimate and in a cute way.

Yeah that only works for like 5 year olds or younger, you know like infants. Seriously, calling Iwata -chan is very disrespectful and suggests that you look down on him like an invalid.

Guest Maase
Chan (ちゃん, Chan?) is a diminutive suffix. It is an informal version of san used to address children and female family members..

Wow, i didn't know Iwata was a children O_O

Damn you, Jamba, beat me up to it :'(

Guest bluey

techincally -chan is ok to be used for both young girls and VERY young boys... but nowadays even my 3 and 4 year old male students are referred to as -kun.

Yeah that only works for like 5 year olds or younger, you know like infants. Seriously, calling Iwata -chan is very disrespectful and suggests that you look down on him like an invalid.

Oh shit! I hope Iwata-man doesn't read this forum or Shino's done for!

Guest bluey
Yeah, jeez, I just wanted to make a joke, not eternal damnation in hell!

i wasnt thinking you were being rude, i just thought you didnt understand properly.

i was trying to let you know how to use it so you wouldnt look stupid. :smile:

we both flail d: