NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
flameboy

Fat Princess

Ok so I know a lot of downloadable games don't get their own threads, but Fat Princess seems strange enough and quirky enough to make it almost worth its own thread.

But also I want to touch on some other issues to do with the game, or more its announcement and subsequent cult following. Its crazy to think that gamers latch on to games in this way and suddenly fall in love with them, despite seeing very little. What do you think makes a good trailer/announcement to create this level of hype, does a game have to look good? Or just a unique twist and something to draw in people?

If so what is fat princesses? What other famous cases can people think of that grab people and make them get so over hyped about tiny things!

fatprincesblodyhel.jpg

fatprincess03.jpg

Chances are you've read rumblings about Fat Princess throughout the web. This surprise PSN game announced at E3 really came out of nowhere. While a title like Fat Princess may sound unappealing, rest assured that this has the potential to become a real multiplayer PSN hit.

How do we describe Fat Princess? We like to think of it as Team Fortress meets Pikmin meets a high-carb diet. Ultimately, Fat Princess is simply a capture the flag game. However, the unique 2D presentation makes it rather surreal. The game supports up to a massive 32 players online, and the smart use of AI ensures that every battle you take online will be fun and exciting. You see, if you can't get all 32 players to play, or if someone drops out in the middle of a match, bots can quickly and transparantly take over. This way, every time you jump online, you'll have someone to play with.

Although there are multiple modes of play, there is usually one ultimate goal in Fat Princess, and that's to capture an enemy's princess and take them back to your own base. Each team will be split to Red and Blue teams, and each side will clash throughout the battlefields. There are a number of hats each player can don, and each hat represents a certain class, which yields certain abilities and powers.

Hats are available at each team's castle, so players can freely swap whenever they spawn. Some of the classes, such as the Warrior and Archer are rather obvious. However, the Priest is akin to the Medic in Team Fortress 2. He can heal others with a beam, and just like in TF2, an effective strategy would be to have the Medic follow a powerful class, such as the Warrior, and rush through.

The Workers can build defensive objects for the castle and can find ore and wood in each level to use as supplies. These tools will be helpful in defending the princess against the other team. Of course, the best defense is to remember the title, and make your princess fat.

Yes, your princess has quite the voracious appetite. By looking for magical patches of cakes which grow outside, you can bring slice after slice of vanilla goodness to your princess. After a few bites, she'll become an overweight glutton, and she'll become quite heavy to pick up and carry. Should the attacking team succeed in picking up the princess, a fat princess would require more manpower. An indicator at the top of the screen will show the sluggish movement of the princess as it gets carried away.

With the title and logo the way it is, it may be hard to think of Fat Princess as a real hardcore title, but that's exactly what it is. Fights always end in bloody messes. After a massive battle, you'll see body parts and blood soaking the entirety of the floor. With its unique art style, high concept, and fun presentation, we can't wait to play Fat Princess when it debuts exclusively on the PSN later this year.

This is what those dudes at 1upyours couldn't shut up?

Yeah I think they are one of the sites hyping it up!

This was one of the few announcements at E3 that didnt make me grimace.

After being barraged with (albeit lovely) sequel after sequel, this game quickly popped up on the video reel and caught my attention. Best title and concept ever!

Yeah I think they are one of the sites hyping it up!

Everyone is raving on about it. Both IGN and Kotaku hinted that it could be their game of E3.

F*cking insane game = awesome win.

I love the games on PSN. Basically everything that comes out is an instant buy for me.

This game does like pretty great actually. The visual representation is definitely something I'd go for...and these games never cost much on PSN too.

I personally rofl'd when she called herself a "Fat activist", isn't that a complete oxymoron?

Also stolen from NeoGAF:

okapav.jpg

I cannot believe some people, since when did fat activists even care about videogame characters?!

Putting up her fat sausage middle finger really gives a lot of credibility to her article.

But this game promotes fatness. In terms of the game, it is better to have a fat princes than a size zero one.

Bet if it was fat prince people wouldn't care as much :P

And it doesn't matter if it promotes fatness, MGS4 has smoking all over the place, even in the loading times, so unless they are gonna stick some sort of obese health warnings on it, lol, what a sad world we live in if it comes to that.

Since when are fat people a protected minority? If you eat crap, you get fat. It's not like it's a belief or life choice...to argue that a game is victimising fat people is no different to argue that any game featuring a murderer with brown hair is an offense to brown-haired people.

The only release date I can find is the rather vague 'Summer 2009.'

This does look lovely, I can't wait.

Downloading it now - 329mb.

Hmmm thought it would be bigger than that!

:yay:

Gah, yet another really good PSN game that I can't afford >.<. I so need a job soon so I can buy all these things. I'm missing out on so much.

Sign in to follow this