N-Europe

Wii MotionPlus- 1:1 add on

Hellfire

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There could be many solutions for that problem, here you are an example I just thought about: when you hit a wall or any other surface you can't cut with a blade, if you keep moving across that obstacle the blade will fall from your hand and you'll have to pick it up (of course, going back with your hand for real).

Problem solved... it wasn't hard, was it? ;)

Exactly, there's ways around it if you think about it. And last time I checked, the Wii couldn't do 1:1 properly, it was even stated was it not?

Yet there's only one game announced to use it....

It will be at least another year until we get even an announcement that 3rd parties are taking advantage. I was hoping that this had been in the pipeline for a while and that devs were on board.

And we've just had all this stuff about Clone Wars as well... why didn't they tap into that.

I'm so excited about this one :)

I think seeing plus as "patching wii remote" is a rather cynical view... Wii remote is fine as it is, but with plus its possibility is extended even further. It worked well before, now it's even more functional should devs choose to utilize it. I suspect it won't come into use (or be used in a way that wasn't possible with original wiimote) for a while anyway, other than few odd games here and there.

With 1st person or melee type games, what I fancy is switching 1:1 controls to pre defined controls with a press of a button. I bet many games can be done that way so you can switch between the 2 depending on the situation. If you play with the pre defined motion then plus addon isn't necessary.

Heres a nice hands-on from IGN:

In hands-on testing with Nintendo's E3 build of Wii Sports Resort, we can indeed confirm that the MotionPlus add-on adds a highly significant degree of motion sensing to the Wiimote. In Frisbee and sword fighting simulators, the device finally allowed for the 1:1 motion sensing we've long desired of the Wii. In game, every motion of our MotionPlus Wiimote was captured, from small twiddlings of the sword while in a ready stance to the exact orientation of our Frisbee before throwing, no matter how we tried to confuse the system with strange angles and inverted controller position.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/891/891919p1.html

Nintendo have really splintered their user base in a very strange way. So games use pre-made animations and these react to certain wiimote gestures, whilst the sensitivty of these movements could be improved with motion plus, real time 1:1 would not made a jot of difference to such games.

So companies have a tough choice, make games for the standard wiimote save in the knowledge that everyone can play it? Or use motionplus and its wealth of advantages such as true 1:1 and risk losing the potential sales.

The hope would be that Wii Sports Resort does sell as one would expect and that everyone picks it up, but surely Nintendo cannot rely on every single Wii owner picking one up?

Developers had barely got used the wiimote then Nintendo introduced the balance board, few have even used that and now we have motionplus....

I feel Nintendo are pretty arrogant in thinking they can introduce this and it will take off well enough. So many games already in development that will not benefit from it and will games that use it now have to include a motionplus logo on the box to make sure people with just standard remotes don't buy it.

Still though despite this it was one of the better decisions of Nintendo to package it was Wii Sports. This is a hardcore add on, it is the hardcore that are hankering for 1:1, casuals perhaps don't want this as much. So if they had bundled it with something more hardcore it may not have sold as well and become a stable part of the system. However its a shame they didn't announce something more hardcore at the same time.

I think it will do well on its onwn merit. The game itself is destined to sell almost as many Wii's that are out there. I know people who bought the Wii for Wii Sports, more or less, and they are looking forward to the sequel. Hell, they are looking forward to it so much they are wanting to put a pre-order down for it. And these kinds of people only own a few titles for the system.

I think how publishrs will see it is how many people have bought it versus their potential audience among who would buy their game. Unlike previous add-ons, I can see this doing extremely well.

If you ask me, this seems to have extended our perceived life expectancy of the console (I say perceived, as ultimately, gamers are never happy and always want more, thus we will always speculate about the next console, expecting it to arrive sooner than the manufacturer has planned, and would hope for). 'Wii 2' has been speculated to have 1:1 controls at least. Well now that's here. Wonder if that will be enough to satisfy us when the games that are supporting it arrive too.

Going by Miyamoto's recent comments, in 5-10 years we'll see a kind of 'Super Wii', like the SNES was to the NES. It wasn't a major advancement, it just added more buttons and an extra 8 bits. So I'd say the next console will have a really refined controller (TRUE POINTING CONTROLS! :heh:), maybe HD graphics, more storage, etc. Then in another 5-10 years, Nintendo will truly innovate and bring forth a brand new concept and console (Nintendo ON - believe).

Going by Miyamoto's recent comments, in 5-10 years we'll see a kind of 'Super Wii', like the SNES was to the NES. It wasn't a major advancement, it just added more buttons and an extra 8 bits. So I'd say the next console will have a really refined controller (TRUE POINTING CONTROLS! :heh:), maybe HD graphics, more storage, etc. Then in another 5-10 years, Nintendo will truly innovate and bring forth a brand new concept and console (Nintendo ON - believe).

The graphical differences from 8bit to 16bit where enormous IMO.

About the next console, Nintendo already confirmed their next console will have HD and they would be retarded if it didn't.

And of course, if the controllers are in the same fashion as the Wii ones, they will obviously have the Wiimotion plus enhancements from the beggining.

This needs to become mandatory for future games if it's going to have any impact, imo. Build it into future WiiMotes and give it away with Wii Sports Resort / sell it seperately CHEAPLY. Otherwise it will just become another Wii Zapper / Wii Balance Board, with a very small install base.

It's like Microsoft have problems with the 360 because Hard Drives are optional. They need to avoid that or it will only hurt future software.

WFT! This isn't good!

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200807/N08.0721.1542.23275.htm

After getting our hands on it, it’s clear that Wii MotionPlus delivers what it’s advertised as doing. Who’d be upset with such functionality? As it turns out, the answer to that question is developers.

We asked several third-party Wii developers about the Wii MotionPlus, and the general feeling was one of annoyance and betrayal. None of them said they had any advance notice about the peripheral, and we were told that they were as surprised as everyone else when Nintendo revealed its existence on stage. That lack of prior notice means that, aside from Nintendo’s own roster of games, users won’t likely see any support for the device for at least six to nine months. The developers we spoke to said they hadn’t received any information from Nintendo about how to implement Wii MotionPlus into their upcoming projects, and they also expressed doubt that they would be able to incorporate it into games that are currently deep in development.

What does this mean for consumers? It looks as though Nintendo’s making what could already be a tough sell even tougher. One of the Wii’s strengths is that it streamlines the process of getting into games. Imagine the confusion that gaming neophytes will face when they’re told they’ll have to buy an additional gizmo to make the controller function the way it says it does on the Wii’s box. Couple that with a limited selection of games—with little third-party support at first—and the waters get even murkier.

6-9 months, mind you that's how long it'll take until Wii see Wii Sports Resorts, so I guess first and third party games will start filtering through around the same time, but still, no prior word or warning!! Very strange!

I was just about to post this. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest, it's classic Nintendo behaviour that we have seen for the past decade (only thing I can think of which they didn't do this with was Tony Hawks going online with the DS).

With new feature hardware like this, they NEED to have support from the 3rd parties to be able to exploit these features. The devs feel fucked over and frankly if I was them, it would put me off making games for the Wii. Nintendo always give themselves a handful of tricks to make their games the best on their system.

I had already posted that I thought this was the case before gameinformer posted anything but I think their estimate of 6-9 months is optimistic. I recon we'd be lucky if Clone Wars has it cos lets face it, who's going to back track on their development of the control scheme to get this in? If a dev has spent time and money designing and implementing the control scheme and gameplay based on that into their game, changing that is hugely costly and would have to have a REALLY major improvement.

Only games that are going to use this are ones that are only starting to be dev'd now. So I'd estimate at 18 months to 2 years.

I recon we'd be lucky if Clone Wars has it cos lets face it, who's going to back track on their development of the control scheme to get this in? If a dev has spent time and money designing and implementing the control scheme and gameplay based on that into their game, changing that is hugely costly and would have to have a REALLY major improvement.

Only games that are going to use this are ones that are only starting to be dev'd now. So I'd estimate at 18 months to 2 years.

Yeah Clone Wars won't see it.

Your right, the games that implement it will be the ones that havn't started development yet [games just in the concept/planning stages], so yeah I reckon you could be right with a 2 year prediction.

I agree with all you've said; devs have a right to be pissed at Nintendo, when for many months, their games will seem inferior in control terms to First Party efforts.

Don't know what Nintendo were thinking!

They make a concious effort to say they won't show GAMES until they are at a key/playable stage, but then they go and through Wii-Motion Plus in the mix, the results of which we won't truely see for 18+ months!!

They should have held it back and shown it off with First and Third party support.

The graphical differences from 8bit to 16bit where enormous IMO.

About the next console, Nintendo already confirmed their next console will have HD and they would be retarded if it didn't.

And of course, if the controllers are in the same fashion as the Wii ones, they will obviously have the Wiimotion plus enhancements from the beggining.

I can see the 'Super Wii' being announced and released in 2012 maybe (probably later, actually) and having HD support, MotionPlusPlus controls, wireless Nunchuk, more built in memory, an improved online interface, backwards compatibility with the Wii so developers can continue to develop and release Wii games, etc. etc.

Ahah you remembered! :bowdown: :bowdown:

Of course. :D Who was it that originally said that? I think it was in the Ubisoft thread...

This needs to become mandatory for future games if it's going to have any impact, imo. Build it into future WiiMotes and give it away with Wii Sports Resort / sell it seperately CHEAPLY. Otherwise it will just become another Wii Zapper / Wii Balance Board, with a very small install base.

It's like Microsoft have problems with the 360 because Hard Drives are optional. They need to avoid that or it will only hurt future software.

Reggie said that they weren't releasing this with the intention of making a profit, that it'd be sold for the price it cost to manufacture it. I'd imagine it won't cost more than £10. And the Zapper's install base isn't that bad, Link's Crossbow Training sold over a million and is in pretty high demand to this day. The Balance Board goes without saying, but I think they should release it separately in the future.

They make a concious effort to say they won't show GAMES until they are at a key/playable stage, but then they go and through Wii-Motion Plus in the mix, the results of which we won't truely see for 18+ months!!

They should have held it back and shown it off with First and Third party support.

Hopefully they got dev kits out immediately after E3. I do agree that they could have held off on the announcement, however, since we only know of one supporting game to be released in 2009.

Spring 2009 is in 18+ months?

The later they show it, the later devs could start developing for it and while they could just show it behind closed doors, which I don't doubt they did to one or two devs, they needed to gauge people's reaction. I agree that more devs should've known about it sooner.

Spring 2009 is in 18+ months?
No we won't start seeing the true influx of Motion-Plus games for a good 18+ months and they'll probably just be the early 'let's get something out' rush jobs!

Spring 2009 means nothing but Wii Sports 2.

The later they show it, the later devs could start developing for it and while they could just show it behind closed doors, which I don't doubt they did to one or two devs, they needed to gauge people's reaction.
It doesn't matter when the public see it, it's the devs that are important!

They don't need to gauge public reactions, because who's going to have objected to improved controls in their games, no one!

Show it to the public late, that's fine!

If I was seeing it for the first time in January 2009, with Wii Sports 2 just a month or so away and a bunch of future third party titles shown, I'd be extatic!

The fact we now know about it, but have to wait 8 months for the first game fir it and then another 8 months or whatever for the true third party games is actually far more frustrating!

For me it sounds like Nintendo got this completely the wrong way round!

While I don't disagree with you, things aren't that linear, it's important to know how people would react to improvements that required buying an add-on, don't fool yourself, not everyone will do it.

8 months to incorporate this in games is more than enough, it's just a gyroscope, it's not rocket science. 8 months is a bigger development cycle than a lot of games (good games I might add) that come out.