Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

I don't think Fergie should do that. It's arrogant and he would've fielded a completely different side if Arsenal scored last weekend. I know that's obvious, but he isn't respecting the other premier league sides. Sure it is a decent chance to play a couple of youngsters, but he is taking it too far. He should show he's serious by playing 2 of the 'big four/five' up front.

He would have fielded a stronger side if we had lost the Arsenal game, but that would be because the league was still there to be won. Now, that's over, and the Champions League is there to be won. What would be the point in tiring out players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs and Van Der Sar, who have all played around 40/50 games already this season? We need these players fresh for the Final.

We don't even know the team we're fielding yet, so I think we're even jumping the gun a little. Look at the youngsters he'll probably put out. I'm expecting the Da Silva twins (Rafael has particularly impressed this season) Gibson and Wellbeck (both have featued this season, more so with Wellbeck and these two will feature a lot more next season) and I'm also expecting Fletcher to play as he won't even be in the squad for the final.

Even with these youngsters, there will still be more than enough hunger and skill there to challenge Hull. The reason why Fabio can come in when Evra is injured is because he is that good. the reason why Wellbeck can come in and make a difference is because he has a great future ahead of him, too. Any of these young players that come into the squad/team always try really hard, because it's competitive being at Manchester United, so they have to make each game count.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I guess you're right, but I just think that almost the same about of respect has to be paid to troubled clubs as it is to a big club in a final.

You're right. Every game should be an important and big game. But, that's why you build a big team and squad. It's just not possible for your big players to play every game in the league, as well as other competitions. Players like Rooney and Ronaldo do want to play every week, and they...moan if they don't.

Absolutely no way Fergie will risk any of united big players getting injured against Hull and missing the champions league final. And anybody who thinks he should is a bit mental really. Yeah it's not exactly fair on the other teams fighting for relegation, but that's not really Man U's problem. Pretty confident that whatever side he does name will be better than the shower Hull put out in anycase.

Fergie's got every right to play whoever he wants in the last game, he's earned that luxury. If we or any other team go down we've only got ourselves to blame for not picking up the points beforehand, when it's always going to be the case that on the last day your rivals' opponents may have nothing to play for. Of course on the other hand this is the same Fergie who accused Leeds of not trying against Newcastle, when they would play out of their skins against Man U, something I think would have landed most other managers with an FA charge...

Fergie's got every right to play whoever he wants in the last game, he's earned that luxury. If we or any other team go down we've only got ourselves to blame for not picking up the points beforehand, when it's always going to be the case that on the last day your rivals' opponents may have nothing to play for. Of course on the other hand this is the same Fergie who accused Leeds of not trying against Newcastle, when they would play out of their skins against Man U, something I think would have landed most other managers with an FA charge...

But you said the exact same thing about Liverpool the other day. They play the big games, and forget about the others,hence why they've drawn or dropped points in games where they probably should have won comfortably. I would agree with you, though. Think of the Newcastle/Boro game for example. I watched the whole thing, and I thought both teams did really well, but when Newcastle were 2-1 ahead you saw a completely new side to them that hadn't surfaced all season. A team with confidence, flair and ability. It was probably your biggest game of the season. But, the annoying thing is had your team done that week in week out, there's no way you'd be fighting to stay in the league.

I think that's partly why the league has been so strange this year. You don't know which teams are going to turn up, which teams will step up to the plate or which teams which crumble.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2438309.ece

MANCHESTER UNITED were last night sensationally warned: Play a weakened side against Hull and we’ll sue you.

Relegation-haunted Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland fear Alex Ferguson will rest his stars against Hull on Sunday ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League final against Barcelona.

If Hull win they will stay up — and send two of the three North East clubs down, costing them £30million apiece in lost revenue.

Paragraph E20 of Premier League rules states: “In every league match each participating club should field a full strength team.”

No club has ever been cited for breaching the rule. But officials from Newcastle, Boro and Sunderland have discussed taking action if United send out a shadow side in the final game of the season.

A source close to the talks told SunSport: “United have every right to think of themselves but that shouldn’t be to the detriment of others.

“If they field a reserve team at Hull who then win and stay up, then the consequences for two of the three North East clubs will be dire.

“No one is looking for a favour, just a level playing field. And if the rules are not adhered to there are means of recourse.”

If found guilty of breaching rules, United could face anything from a warning to a big fine.

They would also be open to legal action from any relegated club for compensation.

A Premier League spokesman said: “We are aware of this situation and we will be monitoring all matches on the final day of the season.”

To be fair we've probably been in breach of that rule for most of this season.

That is fucking ridiculous.

Are they gonna blame united for the other 37 games for which they didn't perform well enough? the real reason they are fighting relegation.

Maybe its time said teams grew a pair and started trying to rescue their own seasons rather than looking to blame someone else.

United should put o'shea between the sticks.

James Morrison has asked Mowbray to have a look at Barry Ferguson.

Personally I recon he'd be a pretty good signing. Lets see what happens....

Haha...What?

I might be a celtic fan but speaking from a Scotland view point and from conversation with many Rangers fans, Ferguson is a shadow of the player he used to be. Since he got that bad knee injury at Blackburn he's only been in the team on reputation, and there's not much left of that anymore. He is so anonymous in games, you forget he's actually playing.

You talking about since he was out with the injury from the start of last season?? because as far as i'm aware he's had pretty decent form since returning to rangers from blackburn..? i'm not too sure about very recently though??

Having thought more about the idea of him playing in our team (rather than him as an individual player), i'm sure thats not what we need (in my oppinion our midfield is pretty decent). I'd like to see other areas of the team strengthened first.

^ His wages wouldn't be sky high at The Albion :laughing:

You talking about since he was out with the injury from the start of last season?? because as far as i'm aware he's had pretty decent form since returning to rangers from blackburn..? i'm not too sure about very recently though??

Having thought more about the idea of him playing in our team (rather than him as an individual player), i'm sure thats not what we need (in my oppinion our midfield is pretty decent). I'd like to see other areas of the team strengthened first.

^ His wages wouldn't be sky high at The Albion :laughing:

No, i'm talking about back at Blackburn, like I said. He's been terrible since he rejoined Rangers, he's added nothing to the team other than problems because he can't hold his drink. You'll find very few Rangers fans who disagree with that. No matter how much of a legend he was.

I can't say i've watched him week in week out (or at all really over the last season), but i don't think he's been as bad as you're making out since rejoining from blackburn. Yes he's made a mistake off the pitch, but i don't think his football has been that shabby. As i've said though i haven't really seen him play since he got re-injured summer last year.

Anyway: I hope Mowbray doesn't follow this one up, and I doubt he will.

:)

I can't say i've watched him week in week out (or at all really over the last season), but i don't think he's been as bad as you're making out since rejoining from blackburn. Yes he's made a mistake off the pitch, but i don't think his football has been that shabby. As i've said though i haven't really seen him play since he got re-injured summer last year.

Anyway: I hope Mowbray doesn't follow this one up, and I doubt he will.

:)

Take it from someone who follows the SPL, he has been that bad.

Your better off keeping away.

As a precedent in the whole fielding weakened teams on the last day of the season...

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/OnThisDay/0,,10265~1293775,00.html

1924: Villa thrashed Newcastle United five days before the sides were due to meet in the FA Cup Final at Wembley. Newcastle were subsequently fined £750 for fielding a considerably weakened side.

Worked though, we won the cup 2-0.

Any road, I dunno which would be worse from a North East perspective, a first team coasting through the game and trying to avoid injury or a second string going all out to prove themselves.

Edited by BlueStar

James Morrison has asked Mowbray to have a look at Barry Ferguson.

Personally I recon he'd be a pretty good signing. Lets see what happens....

Barry "Back-pass" Ferguson.

He's gash, hasn't had a good game (or a game at all :laughing: ) in ages. He used to be a fantastic player but he's living on his reputation now more than anything else. All his passes go backwards and the ones he attempts forwards don't work.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!