N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

We need to strengthen in the summer. We need more players!

Barry could actually be leaving in the summer and Laursen is likely to retire. Shit, two absolute key players both gone.

We've missed Freddie Bouma all season as well. We need more solid defenders like Bouma and Laursen. I felt we conceded too many goals this season.

We should have got more players in the summer, but O'Neill didn't want to spend too much. Heskey was an okay buy, but we needed so much more. We still need so much more.

I would have absolutely loved to see Villa in the Champions League, you all know that, but we'll be in its mini-me version next season. :(

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was pretty obvious that many football fans or spectators would claim that the penalty turned the game. What everyone has failed to mention is the changes at half time. Tevez up front with Berbatov, and Rooney out wide. THAT changed the game, and not the penalty. We came out strong in the second half, even before the penalty came. We looked likely to score.

Hell, fuck it, we should have scored in the first half. Aside from a few half chances, Spurs scored from the only two chances they created in the first half. I thought we actually performed a lot better in that first half than we have done in the last few games. We went close a few times, and I think our general game is a lot better.

It's been a great victory, and if you just focus on the penalty decision, then you're really not seeing the whole picture. I wonder how many people here actually watched the game.

My sister gave birth during the game, and my mum rang to tell me. My reaction: "Mum, we've just brought it back to 2-2, can I ring you later?" My mate was in stitches.

^ Man that was a bold move. Too much of a fan?

Do you mean about the sister? Well, she's had four already, haha.

Plus, Rooney was giving an outstanding (and going by the majority of posts on here, completely un-noticed) performance, and I wanted to witness that.

WHAT. Did YOU watch the game? Other than the two goals we scored, the best chance went to Darren bent who should have scored with that header. Spurs were in complete control that first half.

And obviously Man U were going to come back fighting, but again they didn't really look like threatening, you can have all the possession in the world, but Man U weren't doing anything their (as always fickle) fans were completely dead and Spurs were happy with how it was going. ONLY when the penalty was given did Man U up their tempo, Spurs get completely demoralised and the fans started singing and create the atmosphere to urge their team on.

Holy shit on a stick, I've been using the old noggin for some Championship calculations and all Barnsley have to do is make sure we beat Plymouth next week and we will go above them, meaning that they would probably be relegated. What ever Norwich do is pretty much irrelevant to us (although 2 losses would make sure we are safe). Also, Forest could be in trouble provided they lose their game, Barnsley beat Plymouth or they draw, and Norwich get 2 wins, or 1 win and a draw.

Wow, next week is absolutely massive for us, even bigger than I thought. I'm nervous already, the journey back from Plymouth is going to be the worst ever if we go down.

I fucking love football, but I hate it at the same time.

Edited by kyletherobot

Holy shit on a stick, I've been using the old noggin for some Championship calculations and all Barnsley have to do is make sure we beat Plymouth next week and we will go above them, meaning that they would probably be relegated. What ever Norwich do is pretty much irrelevant to us (although 2 losses would make sure we are safe). Also, Forest could be in trouble provided they lose their game, Barnsley beat Plymouth or they draw, and Norwich get 2 wins, or 1 win and a draw.

Wow, next week is absolutely massive for us, even bigger than I thought. I'm nervous already, the journey back from Plymouth is going to be the worst ever if we go down.

I fucking love football, but I hate it at the same time.

It'll be a nervy last day for those Championship sides. I want Norwich to stay up, but I can't see them doing it, they can easily beat Charlton on the last day but they've got to rely on other results. Can't see them getting anything from Reading on Monday though.

WHAT. Did YOU watch the game? Other than the two goals we scored, the best chance went to Darren bent who should have scored with that header. Spurs were in complete control that first half.

I watched the whole game, and couldn't take my eyes off it. To say Spurs were in complete control the first half is very far-fetched. You had the header, which Van Der Sar was in complete control of (he should have caught it...dunno why he didn't) but we had the ball and created chances of our own. Our flaw is that we did not make the most of possession, and we lacked Killer Instinct. That changed after the interval.

And obviously Man U were going to come back fighting, but again they didn't really look like threatening, you can have all the possession in the world, but Man U weren't doing anything their (as always fickle) fans were completely dead and Spurs were happy with how it was going. ONLY when the penalty was given did Man U up their tempo, Spurs get completely demoralised and the fans started singing and create the atmosphere to urge their team on.

Sorry dude, but in my opinion, things were a lot different. But, then again, we were supporting two different sides, so we're obviously going to be focusing on our own team.

In the first half, we were getting into good positions, but we didn't get enough on goal. I think the final stats were something like 17 shots (for the whole game), but only 7 on target. We couldn't finish. The big change in the second half was bringing on Tevez and putting him upfront, and putting Rooney on the left. That caused you so much grief, and Ronaldo picked it up a gear in the second half. The two were everywhere, and they interchanged just like they were moving last season.

We had chances in the second half, and the key thing is that we put those chances away. However, each of those Spurs goals could have been avoided, and I do generally think on the whole Spurs were better defensively in the first half than the second. But, we added more bite into that second half, and that changed the game. I just think it's a shame the focus is on the penalty and not the overall performance.

Oh I agree Van Der Sar had it; my blame lies with the god awful Darren Bent. If that was Pavlyuchenko - goal :)

And yeah, we've obviously got different takes. Though all the neutrals on these boards are saying Spurs were robbed ;)

Obviously Man U turned it on in the second half and ran us ragged. But I genuinely beieve that really only happened because of the penalty. The same incident which completely knocked Spurs' confidence in defense!

Oh well, I expected to lose anyway, but the manner is a little frustrating. Still think we can nab 7th spot though :) West Brom, Everton and man city our next 3 games?!

Oh I agree Van Der Sar had it; my blame lies with the god awful Darren Bent. If that was Pavlyuchenko - goal :)

And yeah, we've obviously got different takes. Though all the neutrals on these boards are saying Spurs were robbed ;)

Obviously Man U turned it on in the second half and ran us ragged. But I genuinely beieve that really only happened because of the penalty. The same incident which completely knocked Spurs' confidence in defense!

Oh well, I expected to lose anyway, but the manner is a little frustrating. Still think we can nab 7th spot though :) West Brom, Everton and man city our next 3 games?!

I thought Darren Bent was pretty good today. What about Robbie Keane? He was missing for most of the game, but maybe as a Spurs fan you saw things differently.

Well, how many of those neutrals watched the game and not followed the BBC live text?

Was it the penalty that knocked your confidence, or was it the interval? We were brighter in the second half, and my initial reaction from the first 7 or 8 minutes after half time were "If we keep this up, we'll score." Then, the penalty came, but I think the ending itself was inevitable.

Man City had a good win today (a shocking win, I thought Everton would have had it) and Everton are doing very well. You can do it, but it'll be close, I think.

Edit: Also, I'm not a huge fan of Pavlychenko...he seems to make a hash of his chances, imo.

Rubbish, Pavlyuchenko would not have stuck that header away, it was a tight angle and Bent did what he could. The main difference in the first half was the terrible Utd defence. They had no idea how to deal with Lennon running at them and supplying the crosses in, which I believe led to both of their goals.

Rubbish, Pavlyuchenko would not have stuck that header away, it was a tight angle and Bent did what he could. The main difference in the first half was the terrible Utd defence. They had no idea how to deal with Lennon running at them and supplying the crosses in, which I believe led to both of their goals.

Evra couldn't cope with Lennon. He supplied two crosses, and Spurs scored from both. If he did more of this, Spurs would be higher in the league.

Keane didn't turn up today which was a shame. Would have been really interesting if Defore had been playing today...but that can't be helped. RIP.

The Tottenham fans I spoke to weren't happy with Keane, or Corluka in the second half. When I said Lennon supplied the two crosses, I made a mistake, as I think Corluka provided the first, but Rooney rang him ragged in the second half.

Also, sorry to hear about Defoe's half-brother. Would have been good to see him playing, as I do quite like him.

Hold on a minute everyone going on about the penalty blah blah blah. Have you forgot last week already when we had a blatant penalty denied??

Mistakes happen, ref has to make a decision on what he can see in that split second. We need technology to help. 4th official can sit there with a monitor and help the ref out and then all you moaners can stop crying over penalties being awarded at Old Trafford.

Yeah ok the penalty may have been the starting point for the goals to start flowing but half time substutions pretty much changed the game. We came out on fire and you knew a goal was coming. Look how well the front 4 played once tevez came on. Immense.

And ok the penalty is given. Doesn't mean spurs should fall to pieces and concede another 4 goals.....defend much??? ffs pisses me off when united have pulled off a great comeback scoring 5 goals in like 15 minutes and people blame the ref. What a joke.

I watched the second half, I was in the pub for the first but went out for some food came back and it was 2-0! Anyway.

United came back and started second half well, they put a lot of pressure on. The penalty shouldn't have been one but you know, they make mistakes it happens I guess, as Platty said, we should have some technology I think.

tottenham then seemed completely crushed and united went on to win convincingly. Spurs's defence went to pieces, especially their right hand side which ended up giving rooney his goal. They should have picked him up at least.

It was a good match, United upped the tempo and spurs didn't match it. They can, but they didn't.

The penalty might have changed things a little, but like several have said, it seemed like the goal was coming. And I'm not sure anyone could deny Rooney's quality right now. He played on the right hand side against Porto the other day (I think?) and it completely destroyed Porto's attack. In the first leg of that they were getting everything from that side, but in the second leg Rooneys work rate was so so high that they had no hope of getting anything. And he did a similar thing today. They were attacking down the right all of the first half, then Rooney comes on and it just looked like the defence couldn't deal with him. When United's four front players play as well as that for a half, you cannot expect them to lose a game. If Tottenham really deserved to win, they would have won... if you see what I mean. If they are good enough to win the game they have to be good enough to deal with United at their worst AND at their best. And they didn't deal with them at their best.

Mistakes happen, ref has to make a decision on what he can see in that split second. We need technology to help. 4th official can sit there with a monitor and help the ref out and then all you moaners can stop crying over penalties being awarded at Old Trafford.

No we don't need technology. It'll be the end of the flow of the game and completely undermine the man in the middle.

That aside, I won a tidy £41 today at the match. Was only meant to be £39 but the guy must have miscalculated my betting slip, w00t.

The game was one of those expected results, job done in terms of result, performance was ok, but we never got out of 3rd gear.

What do people think of the Lampard/Brien debate? And the consequent interview on Sky News.

This the radio interview where the bloke called him weak and scum? Fair play to Lampard, defended himself well and made the other bloke look like a tit. I gained a bit of respect for the pie eater after reading the transcript to be honest.

This the radio interview where the bloke called him weak and scum? Fair play to Lampard, defended himself well and made the other bloke look like a tit. I gained a bit of respect for the pie eater after reading the transcript to be honest.

Exactly how I felt about Lampard, too. He defended himself pretty bravely about what is obviously such a personal and important issue for him, and especially around the anniversary of his Mother's death. What he said about the media was spot on. Fair play to him, he certainly had that presenter against the ropes.

Edit: Rang my mum yesterday. My sister had a baby girl. Wohoo.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk