Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna head off to the station in a minute, gonna have a few beers in The Gunners before kick off. Should be a great match. Come on you Gunners!!

And good luck Porto. ;)

Pfft, they're going to need all the luck they can get, before we annihilate them.

Riiiight?

But I wasn't even talking about us. You need to get over it, man. :heh:

Judging by the way Porto played last week, they deserve to win this tie.

Haha *locks horns*

But last week was last week, and there are two legs for a reason. We need to put in a better performance tonight. Having Ferdinand start will be a big push for us. Also, Evra was rested, and I think Fergie did that to have him fresh for today.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! :D

I was in a pub with my friend and her dutch boyfriend (who is also my friend) and we were watching the game with a mixture of Porto fans and Manchester United fans...and the Ronaldo strike just didn't register with us! I saw him line up and take the shot, and it was like...what the hell...its in! I don't think the Porto fans could believe it either.

I'm very, very pleased with our performance. With Ferdinand back, we were so much better defensively. Anderson was bossing the midfield in the first half, and he's had one of his most mature performances in a United shirt. I thought O'shea did very, very well tonight. We've asked a lot of him this season, and I think he deserves some credit.

The last 15 minutes were nail-biting for me, but only because I knew one goal would knock us out. In essence, Porto had about 2 or 3 chances to get a goal, and they didn't do it. I don't think they came at us like they did last week, but I think the fact that we were more disciplined at the back helped.

We looked a lot better tonight than we had done in many games. I think the game rest did the likes of Evra some good, and with Ferdinand back, I think we're going to be back to winning ways.

Very pleased with tonight. :) As soon as I dropped my friends off, I was running through the streets home, and I think I leapt into the air at one point. :D

Is another all english final on the cards??

Not a chance, its gonna be 2006 in 2009 and Mr Thierry Henry will be on the losing side again.

Fantastic game today, we're hitting our peak at the crucial time. And I'm sure the return of Fabregas, Walcott and Adebayor is instrumental to that. If only we didn't have so many defencive injuries.

I look forward to the Semi final's though, hopefully I can get a ticket for the home leg.

Not a chance, its gonna be 2006 in 2009 and Mr Thierry Henry will be on the losing side again.

Haha, you'll need to get past us, first. :heh:

The place where I watched the game also showed the Arsenal game, and so I got to hear people's reactions, big moments and stuff. Looks like they did a pretty good job, and I hear that Mr. Eboue and Song had good games?

Arsenal have got a tough run in, as they've got United towards the end of the season anyway, but now a further two times in this, Chelsea in the FA Cup and Liverpool on Tuesday. That's quite a fixture list! Do us a favour though, get a win against Liverpool, and I'll love you forever. :D

I'm hoping that when it does come to playing Arsenal, we learn from our mistakes when we last played them. We played poorly in midfield, and we lacked pace on the right hand side of the pitch. Neville was our weakest link that day, and he was at fault for both of those goals. I'm really hoping that either Rafael or Wes Brown will be ready for that game.

So, onwards: Everton next. I have big respect for them and Moyes, and I do admire a lot of their players. Felliaini is in my top 10 players of this season, I think. But, I hope we can do the business against them without making it too hard for ourselves. Tonight almost gave me a heartache towards the end. We need a second goal, just to ease my nerves, haha.

Fellaini is an ass. His elbowing is annoying.

And Everton is a solid test. To be honest anything could happen between now and the end of the Prem season. It's a tough ask for Manu to beat Spurs, Arsenal and Everton. Just as well there are difficult fixtures for Liverpool.

Hopefully the one point and game in hand is enough, but I'm seriously nervous, especially after last season.

Fellaini is an ass. His elbowing is annoying.

And Everton is a solid test. To be honest anything could happen between now and the end of the Prem season. It's a tough ask for Manu to beat Spurs, Arsenal and Everton. Just as well there are difficult fixtures for Liverpool.

Hopefully the one point and game in hand is enough, but I'm seriously nervous, especially after last season.

His elbowing is awful and that is what will get him more unwanted press than the plaudits he could be getting. I do believe that Moyes will mentor him and train him well, so he'll learn to rid this from his game.

They're fucking hard games, and there are some real stinkers in there. One game that is worrying me is Boro away, as they can be a bogey team for us, and with the relegation battle that's taking place, I think they'll be looking to win that. They'll fight hard, I expect.

It's a tough run in, but we need to get through them. We need the right mentality first, that we won't be allowed to be written off, which is why I'm happy with tonight's performance. It's a results business. So, if we end up with a run of 1-0 victories, I'll take that...pretty damn happily, haha.

You have to say that the wins against Sunderland and Villa.... They could have easily gone against us with the possibility of losing, which would have put us 6 points back. As it is, a deflection against Sunderland and a couple of brilliant late shots against Villa have handed the wins to us. We could have been the chasers at this point :o

You have to say that the wins against Sunderland and Villa.... They could have easily gone against us with the possibility of losing, which would have put us 6 points back. As it is, a deflection against Sunderland and a couple of brilliant late shots against Villa have handed the wins to us. We could have been the chasers at this point :o

We've been awful the last few games. Defensively we've been terrible, and our midfield just wasn't working. The thing that needs pointing out though is that we were still able to get goals, which turned this near-defeats/draws into wins. We could have just as easily had won that game against Fulham, as there were about 4 or 5 chances that could have gone in, right before Fulham went up the field and scored their second.

There's been a dip in the performance, but no team is invincible. Tonight was our best team performance for quite a long time, imo. We worked as a unit, we defended as a team, and it'll be very hard to single out players who didn't put the effort in. The player who summed up tonight's game for me was Anderson. He was the bite in midfield which we've been lacking, and he was the physical presence we've needed.

Those games that we could have lost or dropped points...they've gone. We can only look ahead. I'm a lot more optimistic about the next game than I was yesterday. It was a big game for us, and we've got through it.

Edit: It's half 2, and I'm talking about football. See the top 10 favourite things thread. There's nothing like football.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I like anything competitive, apart from darts and bowles etc. Football is brilliant, best sport ever conceived. I want to pat the man/men on the back who sorted out the formula we use today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrv9CB-kj_g

Wow, didn't see that earlier but that is a tremendous strike!

Aww, I love darts. :)

Football is awesome, though. It can stir so many emotions. Oh, don't I know that?! :D

Brilliant strike, too. I was shocked it went in.

He hasn't really had a brilliant season yet he has still scored quite a few. People say it wouldn't be so bad if he left but I believe he'd be sorely missed.

To be honest I don't think I'd ever be able to strike a ball that hard. I remember Hasselbank having a beast strike on him though, wouldn't have wanted to stand in the wall for his free-kick :S

He hasn't really had a brilliant season yet he has still scored quite a few. People say it wouldn't be so bad if he left but I believe he'd be sorely missed.

To be honest I don't think I'd ever be able to strike a ball that hard. I remember Hasselbank having a beast strike on him though, wouldn't have wanted to stand in the wall for his free-kick :S

Yeah, he's had a lot of criticism this year, but what were people expecting of him? Another record breaking year? He's human. It may seem like he's a God, but he's still a human. Last year, he was playing like a striker. This year, he's playing more like a winger, because now Berbatov is up top and he's the striker. The way we play is a lot different this year than the way we played last year.

I wouldn't want to see Ronaldo leave, because I still think he's had a good season for us. I think the expectations are too high, though, and I doubt he'll ever convince his naysayers.

Alex's freekick against Liverpool was pretty great, and Carvalho was in the wall, before he ducked out of the way. Check it out, I think that was pretty fierce.

Yeah I saw it, what a belter. I think even if Reina was standing in the perfect position to save it he would've still backed out. You could see he was bricking it when he lined up the second, I was rooting for the big guy to do it again. :)

Just dug this beauty out after watching Alex score another good free kick:

He stood 2 yards from the ball yet achieved such power! madness!

Edited by dwarf

..does anyone else miss this as much as I do?

This was back when TV was quality.. I miss those days :hmm: Every saturday morning I'd get up to watch that (and be very jealous as James Richardson sat in front of an amazing dessert every single week :heh:) ..and that intro is amazing :yay:

Campionato.. Di Calcio.. Italiano! Goooooooooooollllaaaacccccccciiiooooooooooo!

The nineties were the BEST!

Edited by nekunando

Whenever I've been to see them they have played well, so maybe I could be your lucky charm? I always go into games with optimism that my preferred side will win. I like West Ham too but for me the prem teams I don't support but would prefer to win in most instances would be: Aston Villa>Pompey>Newcastle

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!