NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

What was 'wrong' with Twilight Princess?

Although I never hyped myself for the release of TP, nor did I compare it to OoT/WW, I did, however, have some expectations, based on my experience with other Zeldas.

If TP didn't have the Zelda name...I would find it somewhere between Starfox Adventures and OoT. At least that much is clear.

Why do I insist on this? Because, when playing an adventure game, I usually go out of my way to explore things, talk to people, etc.

When I did that in TP, there was (usually) nothing for me. As a normal adventure game, TP is still a bit underwhelming for me, because I was somewhat stuck to the main path (which was pretty good, anyway).

That's not because of lack of things to do though, as much as some people might argue that there are few side-quests, there is a lot to do besides the main quest. I know I did, which is why I have 71 hours and don't have all the poes. Ever since I couldnt find any more poes (69h or so) I boot the game from time to time to just wander around aimlessly like I did when I was a kid in OoT. And I love it.

see, this is what i think most of us would feel like if tp was randomly dropped on us. if we hadnt hyped and hadnt the auto compair of our memory of our fave zelda.

imagine if tp wasn't a zelda game, how would we view it then?

just for the record, hourglass is a great game. it may be easy but its great fun.

Took the words out of my mouth! (keyboard)

Nightwolf almost never played a Zelda game so her opinion about the game is probably the most fair.

And yeah, if this game was called The Grand Adventure of New IP Fairy Boy: Twilight Princess, everyone would be ravaging about how freaking awesome this new game was and how much of a blessing it was to Wii although it was the same game.

Since it's a Zelda it was assumed as a 10/10 game and the little problems the game had are taken as the end of the world instead of the game being praised by it's (by far outweighting) good points.

Nightwolf almost never played a Zelda game so her opinion about the game is probably the most fair.

Fixed that for you. ;)

Took the words out of my mouth! (keyboard)

Nightwolf almost never played a Zelda game so his opinion about the game is probably the most fair.

Yeah but when making a new game from a franchised series you need to make it for people who have played the old ones ;) As well as people who are new obviously. So people who have played old ones opinions are just as fair if not more so because they've seen the series evolve and how.

In fact my biggest, and only real flaw, with this game I wouldn't have had if I was a newcomer, which was that the the gameplay felt a bit too similar to it's previous ones, but it's still a good game...a very good one.

Fixed that for you. ;)

haha thankyou ;)

I've been looking at walkthroughs for tp and found it's not as repetitive as the DS version like I was told, although there is alot of mid and main bosses in temples etc it is no different to say final fantasy bosses or some other equilevant (sp?)

I originally bought both tp and the ds version because of the opinions of zelda in general, I have to say it's lived up to the hype and I really enjoy playing it, and that's over mario! :awesome:

I'm 21 now and as a kid I played Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I understand the status quo amongst these games with Ocarina being by far the most revered.

Despite this though, I can genuinely say that out of all the Zeldas - and I've liked them all - I enjoyed Twilight Princess the most closely followed by Wind Waker. Part of this is to do with my tastes changing slightly with age. But I also think that Zelda has improved version after version and this, combined with TP's more adult story, has kept me hooked.

The Ice Mansion is one of my favourites. Hang on, CB!

I can't remember why i stopped playing this game! (possibly mock exams.)

I finished the snowpeak ruins on Sunday. I haven't gotten to play again yet. The Snowpeak Ruins made for a refreshing experience and I love the ball and chain, I spent ages just smashing things up with it! :grin:

The boss at the end was great. Though very easy. I was hoping it would be the Yeti :heh:

I'll probably play some more tonight, I'm hooked again. :yay:

It was easy? Maybe so... but I might have went a bit gung-ho at it because I was down to my last two or three hearts for most of it all. I distinctly remember running about watching the reflection on the floor with the bleep bleep sound bleeping away cos I had next to no health left. Good times and its always great to come through close ones like that! :hehe:

It was easy? Maybe so... but I might have went a bit gung-ho at it because I was down to my last two or three hearts for most of it all. I distinctly remember running about watching the reflection on the floor with the bleep bleep sound bleeping away cos I had next to no health left. Good times and its always great to come through close ones like that! :hehe:

I love it when that happens. It's edge of the seat, heart in your throat, nail biting stuff! :grin:

I remember facing the huge Twilit Aquatic Morpheel and being down to my last heart, I found it hard to control link underwater.

(It may of been that one or I think there was another water one earlier on? I'm not sure) :p

I lost few hearts on this boss however as I worked out what to do early on, though lost a few hearts as I forgot there were more to fall down!

Didn't even get to use my pumpkin soup! :(

I don't see your problem with Twilight Princess, maybe i liked it so much because i didn't know any thing about it, while you knew every single part of the game.

I actually knew nothing about this game, but as I reached the final battle's dungeon the dungeons hadn't been the best. I just got a new game by then and just forgot about finishing it.

TP has the best dungeon design in any game by far. Outstanding design. Just because the last two dungeons are smaller (which isn't bad, they don't need to be progressvely bigger, it fit in well), it doesn't make the dungeons bad.

That dungeon in the Twilight World, I don't remember its name, but it's the one after the Sky City, it might be small, but it could've been even smaller. I really hated it, was very repetitive and not appealing at all.

i wasnt fond of the twilight dungen, but its not long, and easy enough that you'l not spend to long there.

oh, and nightwolf, download oot. its worth it.

That dungeon in the Twilight World, I don't remember its name, but it's the one after the Sky City, it might be small, but it could've been even smaller. I really hated it, was very repetitive and not appealing at all.

The bit in the Twilight Dungeon where...I think it's a hand that comes chasing after you when you're moving a specific item (the sol balls). The one that follows you back to the start...scared the fucking shit out of me!

TP has the best dungeon design in any game by far. Outstanding design. Just because the last two dungeons are smaller (which isn't bad, they don't need to be progressvely bigger, it fit in well), it doesn't make the dungeons bad.

The problem with those, it's not that they're small. It's just that they have a huge empty space with their rooms.

Hyrule Castle is big, but you can complete it in a matter of minutes (if you know the right path, that is). The Twilight Castle starts well, but then drags on, unecessarily.

@Chris: You mean, for the VC, right?

It didn't scare me, but it annoyed me to no end. One of the worst dungeons ever, in my book.

I loved it, I thought it did fit in very well with the game. I think this game had the best variety of dungeons in any of the Zelda games. Each dungeon was individual and felt especially crafted for that location - even if you did dislike one or two of them.

I managed to get back into it pretty quickly (after completing Prince of Persia: Rival Swords a couple of days ago..) and am now up to Hyrule Castle.. but I am too tired to take that on tonight! All being well, this game will finally be complete tomorrow and I have maninly good memories about it. Fantastic game :smile:

It didn't scare me, but it annoyed me to no end. One of the worst dungeons ever, in my book.

Like in all games? Cause if so, I advise you to burn your book. Not cause you don't like it, that's fine, but one of the worst dungeons ever? Please.

Hyrule Castle actually looks like a castle with a garden, connected passageways, yadda yadda, a variety of puzzles, situations and fights, it's like, the opposite of a huge empty space with rooms, not to mention that again, it breaks the norm of dungeons in Zelda games.

Like in all games? Cause if so, I advise you to burn your book. Not cause you don't like it, that's fine, but one of the worst dungeons ever? Please.

Maybe I remember it wrong, it's been a year, but I remember it sucking.

Hyrule Castle actually looks like a castle with a garden, connected passageways, yadda yadda, a variety of puzzles, situations and fights, it's like, the opposite of a huge empty space with rooms, not to mention that again, it breaks the norm of dungeons in Zelda games.

I count one mini-boss fight for a key (which started the dungeon well), and a cutscene just before the boss key. Considering I wasted a lot of time exploring those rooms, only to find out you could just grab the boss key and head straight to Ganon's room pretty much made me classify it as emptier than it should be. (Maybe I'm forgetting some details, but that's how I remember it)

The design and architecture of the building had nothing wrong. But the interior designer should've finished his work.

Twilight Princess is over! Got to the end this morning and I'm glad I started playing it again recently as it is a game I really enjoyed :smile: