NEurope
D_prOdigy

Beyond Good and Evil 2

It's in pre-production, people! And yes, Mr Ancel is on board.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/10018

To clarrify, the game has not been officially green-lit by Ubisoft, and such a project is not even confirmed to be for Wii.

In fact, if recent rumours are to be believed, the developers are aiming for this game to be on 360/PS3. Clearly, it's a missed financial opportunity on Ubisoft's behalf, so if they do put the project forward, hopefully a decision will be made to bring it to Wii. (For context purposes, the original sold most on Gamecube, but then again, so did Soul Calibur II)

UPDATE: First CG trailer can be found here

Still no official platforms confirmed, but it's rapidly being assumed that it is a classic PS3/360/PC multiformat title. If it's any consolation to concerned Wii owners, the charming art style has somewhat been lost in the generation transaction.

beyond-good-evil-2-unofficial-title-20080528000139609_640w.jpg

beyond-good-evil-2-unofficial-title-20080528000144905_640w.jpg

YIPEE!!!!

<3 the original... t'would be in my top 5 Games

Still, might not be for wii, guess we'll see

EDIT: why did I just say top 5 films? Evidently i was too excited by the prospect to think straight :D

As OFFICIALY a huge BG&E fan, I have just regained conciousness.

I think Wii is most likely. Raving Rabbits did well on the system. RR2 was exclusive... They can reuse the old engine with some improvements.

BG&E was a technical masterpiece at the time of release. I hope it makes its way onto 360 and PS3...

Saying that, Ubisoft's Wii support has been strong so far, i can see a Wii release.

Great news!!

It makes sense for a Wii release:

- The first didn't sell well, therefore the Wii's lower development costs make it the more attractive console to continue the series on [should the series continue to under-perform].

- Jade faught with a staff, which translates well to Wii-mote movements.

- Jades camera could also work via the pointer.

I loved the first one, and have been waiting for a sequel for ages. I never expected it to happen. :D

Ancel announced at Video Games Live well over a year ago that he was pushing Ubi to let him make another one. Let's hope it makes it to Wii, I'm quite interested in where the art direction will go as well.

CRAP! Gotta complete the first one! Damnit need to go find that savegame on my old pc.

OMG!!!! This is amazing news! I was just thinking about the first one the other day and wishing for this.

Hopefully this signals the beginning of a return to form on Nintendo consoles for Ubi, and a petering-out of all Rabbids related drek.

EDIT: wait, is this not confirmed for Wii?? Fingers crossed then, as I believe the original was best recieved on the cube, despite disappointing overall sales..

Yeah, he's been hinting at it for some time, good to see conformation :smile:

His going public will put some pressure on Ubi to give some more support, too. Considering the team's pretty small now might hint that their initial focus is on the Wii.

I need to play the original first.

Same for me! Especially after all the praises I heard about it.

old news. we new this a year ago when ancel said it himself at a games music ochestrated live show

Great news! Just recently purchased the Gamecube version to play again..so..can't wait for a sequel!

Saying that, Ubisoft's Wii support has been strong so far, i can see a Wii release.
*laughs at statement*

Strong? only strong with crap unfortunately. Ubisoft has been nothing more than (full of) crap with it's Wii support.

Hope it's for the Wii, if possible, exclusive, after all, the HD systems also get a lot of titles we don't get in the first place, and specially in Ubisoft's case without even getting a real compensation that is not totally secondary and half assed... It's only nice of them to let us have the best deal once in a while (since realistically they never did)... on a entry who didn't sold that much no less (and that way they can focus on it); as well as... the first flopped, so being a exclusive on a leading platform would make sense, IMO.

I saw this thread and was like, ":nono: Who's in posting rumours and giving us false hope? Last week we had Skies of Arcadia, and this week it looks like we're back to BG&E2 speculation, sigh."

Then I entered the thread! :yay:

This better be on the Wii. Its been in preproduction for a year so that means there should be a good amount of ideas gathered for the sequel... and with Ancel at the helm, this is a guaranteed success! (slight overreaction, but those who played BG&E will understand.) This is a great excuse for me to replay the original again over the summer, via the magic of backwards compatibility on the Wii.

I almost want to be wary about BG&E2, but the original was Michel Ancel's baby, and since a sequel has been a long time coming it should mean that he's doing it on his own terms... and that it won't turn out like King Kong.

I think Wii is most likely. Raving Rabbits did well on the system. RR2 was exclusive... They can reuse the old engine with some improvements.

Damn straight! A party game like Raving Rabbids selling well on the Wii clearly means that BG&E2 will sell well on the system! The games are so similar so they'll obviously appeal to the same people :indeed:

There's not a hope in hell that this will be on the Wii. Ubisoft haven't even approved the game for development yet, once they do it'll take Ancel and his team a good few years to make the game. You're not gonna see it on the Wii. It's a next gen launch title if ever i saw one :D (bet you lot were thinking i was away to say why it'll be a 360/PS3 game instead weren't you :p)

Great news. Played a lot on the original. With all the consoles having online it would be nice to see the rankings in the game rather than writing a two page code on the Internet. I think I managed to end up somewhere in 3000th place by completing the game 100% in 3 1/2 hours^^

I saw this thread and was like, " Who's in posting rumours and giving us false hope? Last week we had Skies of Arcadia, and this week it looks like we're back to BG&E2 speculation, sigh."

Then I entered the thread!

Yes, I'm equally reluctant to report on pure rumours, but this one is virtually confirmed.

I've edited the original post slightly for those who are particularly skeptical, however.

There's not a hope in hell that this will be on the Wii. Ubisoft haven't even approved the game for development yet, once they do it'll take Ancel and his team a good few years to make the game. You're not gonna see it on the Wii. It's a next gen launch title if ever i saw one :D (bet you lot were thinking i was away to say why it'll be a 360/PS3 game instead weren't you :p)
Why if the first one wasn't even profitable? giving it years and planning it for such a thing would be madness; doing stuff on-spec with what they think will be standard, means it won't be optimized, having to port and do so afterwards... it's a load of extra work.

That... and they must know their Wii support is idiotic right now, when they've been promising Nintendo-Quality and have been delivering "who wants to be a millionary" quiz shows.

Beyond Good and Evil came out in 2003 and wasn't started in like... 1999 you know, it went smooth, at most within two years, they could very well have this title ready this gen.

Also, going by RRR2, it uses Jade Engine... Beyond Good and Evil engine (hence the name Jade)... who is so much better on games like this.

line up, fellas. I need a beating. I never played BGE. Hopefully, they'll VC the original, when they've sorted out storage problem (and confirm Gamecube titles for VC, which seems a natural progression)

line up, fellas. I need a beating. I never played BGE. Hopefully, they'll VC the original, when they've sorted out storage problem (and confirm Gamecube titles for VC, which seems a natural progression)
I very much doubt that could happen this generation. Ubisoft pulling a Prince of Persia: The Two Throne... erm... RIVAL SWORDZ LULZ, would be more likely.

Why if the first one wasn't even profitable? giving it years and planning it for such a thing would be madness; doing stuff on-spec with what they think will be standard, means it won't be optimized, having to port and do so afterwards... it's a load of extra work.

That... and they must know their Wii support is idiotic right now, when they've been promising Nintendo-Quality and have been delivering "who wants to be a millionary" quiz shows.

Beyond Good and Evil came out in 2003 and wasn't started in like... 1999 you know, it went smooth, at most within two years, they could very well have this title ready this gen.

Also, going by RRR2, it uses Jade Engine... Beyond Good and Evil engine (hence the name Jade)... who is so much better on games like this.

The game won't happen until they get Ubisoft on board. That could take a while, and they won't start production until they actually have Ubisoft's support. Assuming they get that by the end of 2008 then you're still looking at a 2011 release (possibly the tail end of 2010), by which point the next generation of consoles could well be upon us (i can certainly see the next Xbox getting released around then, possibly a HD Wii too).

Ancel has a lot to live up to with the sequel, and as a result will (hopefully) be taking his time with it. You wouldn't want another NiGHTS would you?