N-Europe

Buying Shares

dwarf

For economics, our teacher has 'given' us 100,000 pounds to spend on shares. We have to invest in at least 5 different companies, but under 10.

I was thinking that if I put in a lot of money into 1 company and got the decision right, then that would probably be the way to go.

What companies should I buy shares from?

Nintendo?

BP?

Northern Rock?

I don't know because I have little knowledge in this area and maybe your experience could help me win. :smile:

Well you also have to consider that if a business has been consistently doing well, to buy their shares initially it will cost a lot of money, so I wouldn't go for lots of petrol ones personally.

don't go near northern rock you fool!

Other than that I have never played the share market so I wouldn't know=]

We did something like this. I was making the decisions and we were doing ok. Not that great but not bad. Then Strider said he wanted to make some decisions. A week later we were very near the bottom.

Yeah, i'm not very good at choosing shares. I'm at the bottom of the Schools MSN shares group at the minute.

They're only going to gain profit. Your not going to lose anything. If you can buy them, you cant lose.

But he won't be able to buy many and they won't be going up substantially meaning he won't make that much money me thinks. I think anyway.

Oil companies at the moment are a good bet.

Stay away from football clubs.

Apple are a wise bet as they have a big conference coming up in a few weeks and Apple shares historically jump up a bit at these conferences.

I read an interesting column about this. Basically, an experienced stock broker, a dentist and a four year old girl were all given a choice of shares, to see how well each of them would do. The girl selected hers by throwing bits of paper in the air and picking a random selection. She won.

whats the password?

wearegamers

edit: The game doesn't begin until Monday 19th May.

Also I have no idea what i'm doing so if you or anyone else has any suggestions please let me know and i'll make a few changes.

Another edit: Ok now that everything is setup, who wants to create the official thread, i'll do it if no one else wants to do it, but i'm not much of a thread maker.