N-Europe

Metal Gear Retrospective

http://www.cubed3.com/news/10066

Speaking with MTV Multiplayer, the company confirmed plans that Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) was complete.

Fans of the Metal Gear series, which started on the NES over 20 years ago, will be relieved that despite being Solid Snake's last outing, the franchise is set to continue.

"This is really just the last chapter of the saga of the Solid Snake story.

...I think he is kind of nervous about it. You can’t continue from this step. You can’t start next chapter. We really do close up the story."

Seems Konami are set on rapping up Solid Snake!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one. I stuck it in the opening post earlier, and watched it there. I hardly recognised Snake in those bits where he hadn't his trademark headgear on... assuming that was him.

We're on Metal Gear overload at the minute. Gametrailers latest quartet of Bonus Round episodes is gonna be centred around the build up to MGS4. This is worth watching purely for the intro!

http://www.gametrailers.com/bonusround.php?ep=22&pt=1

Nice one. I stuck it in the opening post earlier, and watched it there. I hardly recognised Snake in those bits where he hadn't his trademark headgear on... assuming that was him.

We're on Metal Gear overload at the minute. Gametrailers latest quartet of Bonus Round episodes is gonna be centred around the build up to MGS4. This is worth watching purely for the intro!

http://www.gametrailers.com/bonusround.php?ep=22&pt=1

That was awesome! Cheers man!

Tellyn, if you have a PS2 you could get MGS3;subsistence as it has the two first Metal gear games from the MSX on disc 2. I think its the only way to play an English version on MG2 soilid snake

Cheers for that, I'll be getting it. I've watched all these retrospectives and most of Gametrailers' coverage of MGS over the past few weeks, and I have to say I'm pretty hyped for 4 even though I'm yet to fully play the previous installments. I'll be buying the PS2/GC titles this week and play through them in chronological order after my exams.

Guest Stefkov

Watching the videos gets me hyped for the games even if I havnt played them.

On of my friends has told me most of the story of the games, it does't feel right to play the 4th without playing the rest of them.

The MGS2 retrospective wasn't flattering at all. Either Gametrailers were pressed for time or they didn't understand the game's plot themselves - which is a shame because usually these retrospectives are very good.

I'm guessing there's going to be two (maybe three) more parts; one for MGS3 and one for the Portable titles.

I hope they do Resident Evil retrospective at some point.

There were a lot of things wrong with MGS3s storyline, especially the bosses and just the general level of ridiculous-ness. Although some bits of the game were very good it was crippling flawed to me and many of the characters were laughable.

And lets not forget the FMV marathons. The last one was almost the entire reasons why the game was made and to me, that's just poor story writing.

There were a lot of things wrong with MGS3s storyline, especially the bosses and just the general level of ridiculous-ness. Although some bits of the game were very good it was crippling flawed to me and many of the characters were laughable.

And lets not forget the FMV marathons. The last one was almost the entire reasons why the game was made and to me, that's just poor story writing.

I disagree with everything in your post. Blah blah opinions and stuff, but it's just strange to see someone hate the best MGS game to date.

What? You're telling me that you thought that the bosses for MGS3 were good? Bee man, seriously? And you can't deny that the whole game was just an excuse to get from one FMV to another. It wants to be a movie not a game.

What? You're telling me that you thought that the bosses for MGS3 were good? Bee man, seriously? And you can't deny that the whole game was just an excuse to get from one FMV to another. It wants to be a movie not a game.

Each of the Cobra's were a fun boss, though I agree The Pain could've been better. I think the most memorable one for me was The End. It wasn't just about getting his life bar to zero, it was about endurance and patience. The Sorrow was also one of the most unique bosses I've ever encountered in a game, and makes you think about what you're actually doing in this game.

The gameplay is stealth at it's best. I loved using the jungle environment to the fullest to get by the enemy, the ways in which you can do so are varied. There's a lot more diversity than just standing behind a corner, watching your radar and wait for the enemy to pass by. You can hide in tree trunks, grass, in trees, use camouflage, hide in water, jump on the enemy from a tree, throw snakes, ...

And yes, the cutscenes (not FMV, they're in-game) are one of the many motivations to play the game. The story is intruiging, deep and well built up. As are all the characters (especially The Boss!). When it's all presented in such a cinematic fashion, well, that's not something to complain about, is it?

Each of the Cobra's were a fun boss, though I agree The Pain could've been better. I think the most memorable one for me was The End. It wasn't just about getting his life bar to zero, it was about endurance and patience. The Sorrow was also one of the most unique bosses I've ever encountered in a game, and makes you think about what you're actually doing in this game.

The gameplay is stealth at it's best. I loved using the jungle environment to the fullest to get by the enemy, the ways in which you can do so are varied. There's a lot more diversity than just standing behind a corner, watching your radar and wait for the enemy to pass by. You can hide in tree trunks, grass, in trees, use camouflage, hide in water, jump on the enemy from a tree, throw snakes, ...

And yes, the cutscenes (not FMV, they're in-game) are one of the many motivations to play the game. The story is intruiging, deep and well built up. As are all the characters (especially The Boss!). When it's all presented in such a cinematic fashion, well, that's not something to complain about, is it?

Don't agree with you about the characters at all, most of them were just silly comic book bad guys with no depth and yes Boss was cool to some extent but they did "a Matrix" and made her too "bad-ass" (ie. she just looked emotionless most of the time). Don't even get me started on the main bad guy who was a total rip off of Bison from Street Fighter not to mention one dementional. But hey, these are opinions aren't they? I'm just shocked that you think that MGS3 was better than MGS. To me, MGS3 is totally lacking in substance on every level in comparison.

I will agree with you on the End though. He was a very cool idea.

Screw playing for the ending scene, I think the real reason to play through Snake Eater is to see The End's skit in the Secret Theatre. That was hilarious. And the CIA chiefs thing. That was equally hilarious.

Oh, and if they do a horrible cheesy James Bond rip off opening again I'll cry. I actually cringed all the way through it. They did implement the song nicely throughout the game though.

Screw playing for the ending scene, I think the real reason to play through Snake Eater is to see The End's skit in the Secret Theatre. That was hilarious. And the CIA chiefs thing. That was equally hilarious.

Oh, and if they do a horrible cheesy James Bond rip off opening again I'll cry. I actually cringed all the way through it. They did implement the song nicely throughout the game though.

I think its on the end of this clip , from last weekends Plyr.

This clip SPOILERS INSIDE