NEurope
Pyxis

Man Kept Daughter In Cellar For 24 Years

What I can't REALLY understand is how his wife didn't notice the ammount of bricks, cement, tiles, etc. he needed to build a freaking house.

What I can't REALLY understand is how his wife didn't notice the ammount of bricks, cement, tiles, etc. he needed to build a freaking house.

Y'know, to be honest, I think the wife was in on the whole thing, or at the very least found out eventually and played along with it. I mean, how thick do you have to be not to notice that there is somebody being kept prisoner in your basement, with the amount of food your husband is sending down there etc.

Personally, I think he confessed because he knew he was found out and wanted to protect his wife.

Austrian law is strict against money crimes and a lot less strict when it comes to people. I do really hope that a decent judge punishes this guy to the very extent possible by our laws.

I agree, our judgement system is "weird"...

I also wonder why the wife, who according to the daughter really didn't know of anything, didn't came to suspect something. I mean he put a fucking num-lock on the cellar door and told his family that nobody is allowed to enter the cellar.

Also how did he get rid of all those garbage?

In the papers was also a short article about his character and he was percieved as a calm and loving family man by others and his family as well.

Exactly, how could you not notice a num-lock on a door in your basement.

She must have known about it. Their kids must have too.

you can't even begin to imagine how fucked up that poor woman and those kids are.. i say.. let them live in the house with that bastard locked in the basement instead.. some crimes are just too horrible that the legal system doesnt even get close when dealing out the punishment

Just makes you wander how many other missing people are being kept prisoner like this :(

At least three to my knowledge.

Yes, yes Im going to hell.

Austrian law is strict against money crimes and a lot less strict when it comes to people. I do really hope that a decent judge punishes this guy to the very extent possible by our laws. The problem is he is 73 - I am sure there will be a "medical" issue with him and he can spend the prison sentence at home or something.

Sometimes I really wonder if death penalty is that bad...

That's what bothers me the most, the fact he might actually get off. 15 is maximum, and I dunno if he'll even get it, I want him to live the rest of his days in jail and die there, I'm sure he doesn't have many left as it is, so why let him off?

As for people saying 'how can you possible not notice blah blah blah', I don't think it's THAT unreasonable. If he seemed like a perfectly healthy, normal and rounded guy, maybe people just allowed the basement thing as a personal place type thing, maybe his wife had no reason to suspect or go down there, and with it being soundproofed, you'd never hear anything and assume it's just a regular old basement.

I think the wife probably knew about, but was a victim of some sort of domestic violence, and was being kept quiet by her husband who consequently and quite fittingly looks like a demon of some sort.

Does anyone else think that its creepy that I'm actually quite interested in the psychology of this?

Turns out, that cellar was paid for by taxpayer's money.

He got a grant for building a nuclear bunker. So chance are the wife knew it was there, but didn't know what was down there.

Sick guy. Tests came back showing they are definitely all his children.

HANG HIM.

He should be locked in a cellar for 25 years being constantly abused.

Killing him just isn't damn good enough. Those poor kids will not live a normal life.

The psychology would be a little interesting, but I think I'd be scared of what horrific things you would find out.

I was thinking from a "role" point of view. He can't have acted like a father towards the daughter and how would he act towards her children? Ignore them, like they were nothing, treat them as his own children? And then there's the Mum, what kind of set up fits her? She could be as damaged as the Dad and knew full well what happened, she could have been being abused as well, she could be ambivalent and not see anything wrong at all.

There are so many ways that they could have related to each other (and as I said, I know its a little macabre) but I'm interested in how this aspect facilitated the situation.

I was thinking from a "role" point of view. He can't have acted like a father towards the daughter and how would he act towards her children? Ignore them, like they were nothing, treat them as his own children? And then there's the Mum, what kind of set up fits her? She could be as damaged as the Dad and knew full well what happened, she could have been being abused as well, she could be ambivalent and not see anything wrong at all.

There are so many ways that they could have related to each other (and as I said, I know its a little macabre) but I'm interested in how this aspect facilitated the situation.

Maybe some people don't think "straight" and therefore we couldn't understand them as their thoughts don't even make sense.

Maybe some people don't think "straight" and therefore we couldn't understand them as their thoughts don't even make sense.

Everyone has a train of thought and does things for reasons either known to them or in their subconscious. Very few people's brains are broken enough for that not to be true and out of that group of people, most are quite obvious, like Alzheimers.

Everyone has a train of thought and does things for reasons either known to them or in their subconscious. Very few people's brains are broken enough for that not to be true and out of that group of people, most are quite obvious, like Alzheimers.

We don't know that for certain.

What the almost everyone follows some kind of reasoning bit?

My psychology friends tell me thats pretty much the case but I may have understood them. But even schitzophrenic people do things because their dellusions mke them think that it's the best thing to do.

I spose, I'm interested in whether this guy is actually what I'd consider evil.

What the almost everyone follows some kind of reasoning bit?

My psychology friends tell me thats pretty much the case but I may have understood them. But even schitzophrenic people do things because their dellusions mke them think that it's the best thing to do.

I spose, I'm interested in whether this guy is actually what I'd consider evil.

What I'm saying is that we don't know for certain that there is reasoning for everyone's thoughts/actions.

Recently Fritzl said in an interview that he locked his daughter up in the cellar because she was a difficult teenager and he wanted to protect her from drugs and whatnot.

Yeah, right :indeed:

You can only imagine the kind of beliefs this man has taught these poor kids. They must be in utter shock to realise there is more than just themselves on this planet, and that what their father did was so wrong. I suppose they may have even loved him?

You can only imagine the kind of beliefs this man has taught these poor kids. They must be in utter shock to realise there is more than just themselves on this planet, and that what their father did was so wrong. I suppose they may have even loved him?

It's sad but true. I also wonder is the daughter has that condition where you fall in love with your captor? The idea of the kids seeing their mother being abused is going to carve a very deep groove into their minds.

It's sad but true. I also wonder is the daughter has that condition where you fall in love with your captor? The idea of the kids seeing their mother being abused is going to carve a very deep groove into their minds.

I don't really think the daughter "loves" her father (stockholm syndrome I think), since she sent a letter for help with her daughter that was sent to the hospital.

The children however will probably have some kind of love for their father, since he's basically the only person they know (apart from their mother). =/

Hold on though, their mother was somewhat their teacher, she probably taught them the truth. Though she may have just taught them how to speak.

The bomb shelter thing makes the wife not knowing alot more possible.

She was likely abused into submission by her father.

the wife must have known... he had to feed like a whole family! (and a big one at that)