NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

Sent my Wii off on Monday and got it back today which is crazy fast. Seems they sent me a brand new Wii and didnt charge me a penny for it even though I was out of warrenty.

However, all the games I'd downloaded from the Wii shop channel are gone. I phoned them and they told me to email club nintendo to get my games tranfered to this Wii.

Well about a month back I bought Grand Slam Tennis and had a problem with the game freezing and after 4 exchanges Nintendo took my Wii in...cost £27 to get it fixed and when I got it back I had nothing...after getting that sorted everything was working fine until it started not reading discs and just freezing at black screen after changing channels.

To cut this short Nintendo said they have to take it back in cause they boo boo'd :( so once again no Wii for the next week or so and I am losing all my Conduit data :(:(:(

Just out of plain curiosity, when you send your Wii into Nintendo, are you meant to put a piece of paper in the box asking whether or not you'd like Nintendo to retain your saved Mii data?

Just out of plain curiosity, when you send your Wii into Nintendo, are you meant to put a piece of paper in the box asking whether or not you'd like Nintendo to retain your saved Mii data?

I put a note inside mine asking them to contact me if they could not keep my data (precious Smash Bros save) and when I got it back it was all gone AND I even got my note back....Nintendo say that minor problems they normally can keep save data but major they can't.

I thought for a big company it would be easy to transfer saves but no...

Right, so this isn't as much an issue as it's a noob question: Regarding SD cards, does the Wii need a specific Wii SD card, or can it use the plain, regular SD cards? Also, are there size limitations or should I just get the largest SD card I can get (memory-wise)?

As far as I'm aware, any old SD card will do so you don't need to worry about getting a Wii specific one. As for the size, I think 32Gb is the biggest that the Wii currently recognises. I could be wrong on that last on but I believe that's what Nintendo said when they updated to allow saving to the SD.

As far as I'm aware, any old SD card will do so you don't need to worry about getting a Wii specific one. As for the size, I think 32Gb is the biggest that the Wii currently recognises. I could be wrong on that last on but I believe that's what Nintendo said when they updated to allow saving to the SD.

Thanks! When you say "old SD card", what do you mean specifically?

Just any SD card will do, up to 32Gb of memory. That's what I mean. It doesn't need to be a Wii/Nintendo branded one (and I wouldn't recommend buying one of those as they're more expensive than buying a non Wii/Nintendo branded one if my memory serves me).

Does anyone know if you can get cables to extend the audio cabling form the Wii Component cables? I need to extend solely the audio by about a meter.

I imagine you could just use standard R/L audio cables with female on one end, or a female/female adaptor in between? If it's only a metre you don't need high quality cables.

Edit: like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-RCA-Male-Female-Audio-Video-EXTENSION-Cable-5FT-/390221076646?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL

but wait for someone else to confirm this first :)

Edited by Shorty

The sound my Wii is now making when there is a disc inside is beyond ridiculous :mad:

I'm gonna have to get myself a tri-wing screwdriver tomorrow, rip it apart and see if I can somehow sort it out..

The sound my Wii is now making when there is a disc inside is beyond ridiculous :mad:

I had that the other day, forgot I'd left my Wii on then later on was getting all sorts of grinding noises coming from that direction.

I ordered a couple of screwdrivers there this morning so when they arrive I'll try to fix the problem. I'll report back on how it goes..

I just bought Donkey Kong and it wants me to do a Wii System Update but gets about a quarter of the way through and then gives up and stops says "Wii Update Failed" and that's it. I can't play the game.

I just bought Donkey Kong and it wants me to do a Wii System Update but gets about a quarter of the way through and then gives up and stops says "Wii Update Failed" and that's it. I can't play the game.

Any homebrew on your Wii?

What firmware version are you on? Try do an update from the Wii's own settings see if anything happens

I'd try Nintendo before opening your Wii - Nintendo have an excellent out of warranty service. They sorted my noisy disk drive free of charge a year out of warranty.

Use Priiloader and block updates

I have the same problem, but with Kirby's Epic Yarn. The disk says it needs an update, i accept and it fails straight away. Tried updating the wii itself but that also fails. I'm on 4.2, there was homebrew on the wii but it was deleted.

Did you ever get that fixed Kaytee? I used StartPatch to prevent the disk from prompting a system update.

In Guitar Hero 5, the game has started to "skip" occasionally (I'd say about once ever minute or two), meaning the video and input registration momentarily lags for a half a second while the music keeps going, resulting in a certain combo break. I've never had this issue before with any of my Guitar Hero games, and there are no scratches or dirt visible on the disc. Any ideas as to the cause? Perhaps a bit of dust on the lens or something?

I'm getting some pixel distortion (artifacts?) on my Wii. I first started to notice it recently on Skyward Sword. It's most noticeable in Skyloft and the flying sections against the clouds towards the top middle of the screen, it's like a few short vertical lines. Happens in other games too but different places.

It looks like what's shown in this video but it's not all over the screen.

At first I thought it was the tv, but apparently it's a fairly well problem with the Wii overheating, it's rumoured it can be caused by leaving wiiconnect24 on. I checked wiiconnect24 and it was on! I'm 99% sure I always had this switched off. Maybe a system update would have turned it on?

Anyone else experience this problem? Did you have to get Nintendo to fix it and how did that go?

I can't send the Wii to Nintendo for a while because I need it over Christmas as I have 2 brothers who want to borrow it into the new year. So I suppose I'll have to put up with it for now. But I do love my Wii and I want to keep it in the best possible shape.

Anyone know roughly how much Nintendo would charge to fix it?

I'm worried because I performed a fix on the console myself to stop an annoying vibrating noise (just with some tape and card to stop the troublesome part vibrating) and maybe they might hold this against me when charging me.

I'm getting some pixel distortion (artifacts?) on my Wii. I first started to notice it recently on Skyward Sword. It's most noticeable in Skyloft and the flying sections against the clouds towards the top middle of the screen, it's like a few short vertical lines. Happens in other games too but different places.

It looks like what's shown in this video but it's not all over the screen.

At first I thought it was the tv, but apparently it's a fairly well problem with the Wii overheating, it's rumoured it can be caused by leaving wiiconnect24 on. I checked wiiconnect24 and it was on! I'm 99% sure I always had this switched off. Maybe a system update would have turned it on?

Anyone else experience this problem? Did you have to get Nintendo to fix it and how did that go?

I can't send the Wii to Nintendo for a while because I need it over Christmas as I have 2 brothers who want to borrow it into the new year. So I suppose I'll have to put up with it for now. But I do love my Wii and I want to keep it in the best possible shape.

Anyone know roughly how much Nintendo would charge to fix it?

I'm worried because I performed a fix on the console myself to stop an annoying vibrating noise (just with some tape and card to stop the troublesome part vibrating) and maybe they might hold this against me when charging me.

I've actually had the same problem for several years, been too lazy to do anything about it.

I've actually had the same problem for several years, been too lazy to do anything about it.

At this point it's bearable for now, but I will get it fixed. I love my Wii and want to keep it healthy for as long as possible.

I'd send it in now but the process takes so long I doubt I'd get it back in time for Christmas.

As I just ranted in another forum, why can't these tech companies build things to last any more? Have some balls and pride in your work and give us 10 year warranty damn it!