NEurope
KingOfHyrule

Official Issues and Problems Thread

I'm having a problem with video output on my wii. I have a 40" Samsung 1080p hdtv connected to my wii via component cables. I had the wii set up for 480p output and everything worked fine.

Haven't played the wii in a few weeks, turned it on the last day and for some reason the wii had system reset itself! All my save files, miis etc have gone and now I can't display the wii in 480p. The option in the wii system settings is greyed out and can't be selected. The wii works fine when connected through AV (red, white and yellow) but I get a blank screen when connected through component.

I can get over losing my data but I need to fix the 480p problem. The cables don't seem to be damaged in any way and they worked without fail before (using the same tv all the time).

I would appreciate any and all ideas/help.

Try changing between the composite and component cables with the console completely turned off, disconnected from power. This is for the option to not be grayed out. But I don't understand why you get a black screen.

Try reseting the console yourself in the options menu. You've already lost all your data so you have nothing to lose for trying it.

Tried both of those and neither have fixed my problem. :angry:

I've had a look online in other chat forums but to no avail, gonna have to ring customer support methinks.

Thanks for the advice all the same Blue Ninja0

I didn't want to start a thread for this as it seem's a bit pointless, so I hope this question is suited to this place instead.

I'm getting a Wii for Christmas (at last :yay: ) and I have been looking at Wii points on nintendo.co.uk.....I can't work it out. I had 18000 stars but they were about to run out so I had to spend them on shit. Now I have loads of registration cards waiting to be used. I was going to buy points with them, but you can't until you link your Wii (which I don't yet own) to your stars account.

Could someone explain how the process works please? Do they mail you a points card in the post if you buy points with stars, or does your Wii find out electronically? Also there was some fuss about how there isn't always points available, is this still true? Thanks guys and gals! : peace:

I have managed to get Wii Points a few times from the site (though I don't check it regularly..)

When you purchase the Points with you Stars, you will be given a code instantly which you can then enter into your Wii straight away :smile: ..I know my Wii is linked up to my account, but I don't know if you would be able to put in a code that someone else purchased with their account or not (as making this impossible would seem to be the only reason to need to have the accounts linked)

I have managed to get Wii Points a few times from the site (though I don't check it regularly..)

When you purchase the Points with you Stars, you will be given a code instantly which you can then enter into your Wii straight away :smile: ..I know my Wii is linked up to my account, but I don't know if you would be able to put in a code that someone else purchased with their account or not (as making this impossible would seem to be the only reason to need to have the accounts linked)

Don't worry. My friend had stars that he let me turn into points on his account and then I used the points on MY wii, not his. It didn't give me any trouble.

No, once you use your stars to buy a point card, say 100 wii points card. I think a screen pops up with the number you need to enter in your wii to add the points.

Sorry, I replied to the message from the previous page not realising it had been answered.. IGNORE.

I've suffered this issue for ages now, only Mario Strikers has let me play against friends online. Brawl and MKWii don't let me join matches with friends at all.

Having an odd problem here, Have recently started to notice when playing some of my games and on the wii menu I'm getting what can only be described as random black pixels, thing is its more noticeable on some games than others, For example on Sonic Unleashed its extremely noticeable as pretty much ruins the gameplay picture most of the time, where as something like Mario Kart I barely think I've noticed it. Though Wii Music only appears to have a tiny bit of it so I can't for the life of me work out what's wrong, I have yet to try using the HD cable on another family members TV as I only use the standard def cable as my TV is not HD. failing that I think its gonna have to be sent off to Ninty for analysis

I cant seem to go online anymore. My signal stregth is full in the menu so i have no clue whats up with the Wii.

Having an odd problem here, Have recently started to notice when playing some of my games and on the wii menu I'm getting what can only be described as random black pixels, thing is its more noticeable on some games than others, For example on Sonic Unleashed its extremely noticeable as pretty much ruins the gameplay picture most of the time, where as something like Mario Kart I barely think I've noticed it. Though Wii Music only appears to have a tiny bit of it so I can't for the life of me work out what's wrong, I have yet to try using the HD cable on another family members TV as I only use the standard def cable as my TV is not HD. failing that I think its gonna have to be sent off to Ninty for analysis

Yeah could be the Wii, Input on TV or TV itself. Try another console or device and see.

Well as far as I'm aware it was doing the same thing on my old TV so it rules the TV out as far as I'm concerned, I have contacted Ninty and from what they suggest it sounds like something they need to take a look at, so I think I shall send it off to them after christmas is over and done with. :)

Seriously... what's the best solution for Wii to monitor (either VGA or DVI)? I can't believe that Nintendo never brought out their own VGA cable.

The Wii Doesn't support Digital Video, so you're going to have to use VGA. The May-flash VGA cable is pretty good, and even comes with a headphone adapter and VGA gender changer. Just make sure you get a ferrite core for it, otherwise you're going to get noise. If you're going to hook it up to another VGA cable (as it has a female end on it rather than a male on for some reason), you would probably be ok though as most VGA cables do have ferrite cores built in.

The may-flash one will also work with a PS3.

No matter how you hook it up though, every few minutes the screen is going to go black for a fraction of a second because of the way the Wii outputs video and they way monitors input it.

Also, you're not going to be able to play any games that don't have progressive scan as monitors don't support interlacing.

Wii VGA cables also come with a colorless composite video jack on it. This is actually just the luminance component cable (the green one) and hooks into the composite input in your TV. The Wii thinks its hooked up through component, so you can switch it over to 480p.

That sounds like a real half-way solution... I have just spent a few hours reading up about it and... wow. I think I might just get a different monitor, lol. I was thinking of chaning my older 20" monitor anyway...

Thanks very much for the help, dude.

Its not actually as bad as the product reviews make it out to be. I read tons of negative reviews, then once I actually bought the cable I was amazed with it.

Fuck it, if you're amazed I'm amazed. Let's do this shit.

(Wooooooooowee!)

Okay got it and I just need to wait until my girlfriend comes back on Sunday with a TV so I can quickly change the settings on the Wii to 480p. Is there anyway I can do it without a TV? The Wii detects my controls, I just can't see anything... can you navigate the menu via the D-pad or the 'cube pad? I could just blindly navigate the menus and change it.

No. I've heard some people have done it blindly before though just with the infrared though.

I am going to try and do that tonight or tomorrow. When you start up the Wii for the first time is there a really annoying "Hello, tell me this and this and this"? I'll try and look at screens of the menus I guess.

Oh, this is the first time you've turned the console on? It will be harder then (yes, there are).

You're probably best just waiting then.

Shit hot, I managed to get past the introduction setup - all the OK buttons are on the bottom right. Now just to change the settings...

Each time the wiimote pointer goes over a button it rumbles a little bit. Use that as a hint to know where the hand is. But if you haven't memorized the position of the menus this won't help much.

I have a quoestion recarding Wii's Internet connections.

Is it possible to use 3G router to put Wii online? I can't afford a true broadband, but a mobile broadband is cheap enough. Now i just need to know is it possible to put Wii online with 3G router. Do I need a specific one, or do they work at all?

As long as it has wifi or you have the USB to ethernet Wii adaptor, I can't see why not.

Yeah i am thinking of going the wired route. My Wii just is odd for Wifi. After long periods it has issues... I dont want to pay much though. SO i'll wait it out till there is a deal.