NEurope

I still care. Ok, yes some of it looks generic and there will inevitably be jaggies (what game doesn't have these? No matter how far a developer goes out of their way to get rid of them, it's impossible even with HD trying to cover it up) but it still looks great. It's one of the very few titles that are showing off the Wii's capabilities graphically and presumably in the audio department as well. The customization available to the controls and the HUD are two great features that many Wii games could use. It's a definite day one purchase for me as I whole-heartedly want this to do well and would love to see it get the sequels that they are already planning.

@ D_prOdigy - You've probably just correctly guessed the ending of the game right there with the player going through the conduit at the end of the game. Seems the most likely outcome and would help lay and basis for the sequels.

I think the only graphical criticsm I have is the enemies look like Space Pirates from Metroid Prime. We've still a lot to see as well and I'm sure they're saving the best bits until closer to the release.

So far we've only seen a tiny portion of the game, and I think we've only seen around 4 guns (pistol, shotgun, a machine gun and an alien weapon). I'm sure as more is released things will become clearer.

The important thing is that everyone who has played it says it plays really well and is smooth and responsive.

One game I will be interested to compare it to is Red Steel 2 (if and when it happens).

and I think we've only seen around 4 guns (pistol, shotgun, a machine gun and an alien weapon). I'm sure as more is released things will become clearer.

Actually, we've seen loads more than that. From what I recall, there have been:

Pistol

Shotgun

SCAR

Another human SMG

Strike Rifle (the orange alien blaster)

Human Bazooka

Alien homing grenade-launcher

Trust blaster (the one with blue bullets. It's in the first trailer)

De-atomiser (though I'm not sure that's been in any videos)

Alien gun that fires two blue bolts; one that tracks the other

Alien pistol which seems to stun enemies in one shot.

So yeah, we've actually seen quite a lot.

Anyway... it's only January. I need to tone my obsession for this game down.

I'd rather a few jaggies here and there then bizarre, grpahical distortions that you see in the AMAZING next gen consoles. The screen splitting in Uncharted takes me out of the world far more than a bit of fuzz or unsmooth edges. And don't even get me started on the bizarre shadows and horrible particles on the suit in Dead Space.

For me it's all about consistency.

I'd rather a few jaggies here and there then bizarre, grpahical distortions that you see in the AMAZING next gen consoles. The screen splitting in Uncharted takes me out of the world far more than a bit of fuzz or unsmooth edges. And don't even get me started on the bizarre shadows and horrible particles on the suit in Dead Space.

Yeah, it really does grate when you see that as it pulls you right back into reality, a place you were trying to escape in the first place :indeed:

You're right, The Conduit is better looking then Uncharted and Dead Space.

Consistenly speaking, of course. :confused:

You're right, The Conduit is better looking then Uncharted and Dead Space.

Consistenly speaking, of course. :confused:

I'm not dazzybee, but I believe you missed his point.

He is completely right; there's no point in having a game running on the most powerful console possible if you can't iron out foundational problems such as screen-tearing or a poor frame rate. The annoying thing is, while these problems have always been present on some level since the birth of 3D gaming, they have become more abundant with the dawn of the so-called "next generation" of consoles. In contrast, most developers could actually nail down a consistently apt engine ten years ago.

I'm not dazzybee, but I believe you missed his point.

He is completely right; there's no point in having a game running on the most powerful console possible if you can't iron out foundational problems such as screen-tearing or a poor frame rate. The annoying thing is, while these problems have always been present on some level since the birth of 3D gaming, they have become more abundant with the dawn of the so-called "next generation" of consoles. In contrast, most developers could actually nail down a consistently apt engine ten years ago.

Yes, the sad thing is that rather than nail a great frame rate and make the game smooth and playable many developers would rather have every effect under the sun going off so the game looks incredible in still screen shots but the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Personally, I'd rather have the effects turned down a bit and a slightly lower level of detail with a locked 60 frames per second in an FPS than a game that on paper looks beautiful but you can't hit anything due to frame rate drops.

I think developers simply pander to the unititiated, those who buy into products based on adverts containing footage 'representitive of ingame visuals', the exciting marketing gibbons on the reverse of the box, what their mate says is brilliant, and who wouldn't know the term framerate if it came and shat on their 360.

Yeah, it really does grate when you see that as it pulls you right back into reality, a place you were trying to escape in the first place :indeed:

I have no idea what your point is.

Though my point is completely missed but JAMMY. For a change!!

Obviously uncharted and Dead Space have better graphics than the Wii, please tell me where I said it doesn't. Please show me, quote me and bold the bit you mean. You always misread posts!!

I'm just saying the screen tearing on Uncharted broke me out and annoyed me a lot every time it happened. The same on Dead Space with the god awful shadows and the particles on the suit being so bad.

I absolutely love both games, the graphics are amazing and both have great atmosphere. Im just saying that for me, consistency is more important. However shit the graphics are in Zelda, or Galaxy compared, I'm not ejected from the world of the game by some (which i think pretty big) graphical glitch

I've just never been bothered by a graphical tear or slow framerate now and then. Guess it just doesn't bother me, I grew up playing games online on the PS2 though, so I've probably just been accutomed to this sort of thing lol.

But yeah, it would appear I did miss the point. My apologies.

I do think a smooth frame rate is especially important for the Wii though, with an FPS. It'd be hard to keep track of the controls when you start running at < 15 FPS, so hopefully High Voltage can nail it.

Its not really the graphics themselves that are the issue. Its the effort put into them. And HVS is doing an amazing job of putting effort into them. There are things they're doing in The Conduit that nobody thought was possible on the Wii. If you look at some developers, they're not even trying, there are Wii games that have looked like they could get a decent frame-rate on the N64. Even if you preferred the visual style of Metroid or Mario, you have to admit that HV are doing a pretty darn good job.

Its not really the graphics themselves that are the issue. Its the effort put into them. And HVS is doing an amazing job of putting effort into them. There are things they're doing in The Conduit that nobody thought was possible on the Wii. If you look at some developers, they're not even trying, there are Wii games that have looked like they could get a decent frame-rate on the N64. Even if you preferred the visual style of Metroid or Mario, you have to admit that HV are doing a pretty darn good job.

I agree, this is the type of game & effort people have been asking for on Wii.

I have no idea what your point is.

Though my point is completely missed but JAMMY. For a change!!

Obviously uncharted and Dead Space have better graphics than the Wii, please tell me where I said it doesn't. Please show me, quote me and bold the bit you mean. You always misread posts!!

I'm just saying the screen tearing on Uncharted broke me out and annoyed me a lot every time it happened. The same on Dead Space with the god awful shadows and the particles on the suit being so bad.

I absolutely love both games, the graphics are amazing and both have great atmosphere. Im just saying that for me, consistency is more important. However shit the graphics are in Zelda, or Galaxy compared, I'm not ejected from the world of the game by some (which i think pretty big) graphical glitch

I was agreeing with you. Basically you have all the graphics giving the game a great atmostphere and tension, then you get a horrible glitch making you realise, it's just a game, and due to the nature of the glitch, it's frequent.

I was agreeing with you. Basically you have all the graphics giving the game a great atmostphere and tension, then you get a horrible glitch making you realise, it's just a game, and due to the nature of the glitch, it's frequent.

I thought you was, but I got paranoid and thought the rolly eyes were for me :)

Saying this, both games are amazing! I'm working away for 5 weeks and I'm going back home next weekend, purely to play Dead Space :)

I thought you was, but I got paranoid and thought the rolly eyes were for me :)

Saying this, both games are amazing! I'm working away for 5 weeks and I'm going back home next weekend, purely to play Dead Space :)

I really need to play it through again as I loved it. I think I was very close to crapping myself a few times. Make sure you go to the loo BEFORE playing this game.

Nothing really there which we didn't already know, but reassuring at least.

I expect the lid to be lifted on the multiplayer aspects in the coming weeks. That's what intruigues me most, anyway.

Well it's nice to see Kotaku are being a bit more upbeat about this and Mad World, although the guy that did the previews I believe is an intern. If not then I haven't seen anything posted by him.

Another person saying the game controls well and looks great is always a good thing. Some people were rather worried about the controls.

all thats left is the actual game.. yes it controls well and it looks great but is that what makes a great game? all well and good playing 30 minute demos of this and saying it controls well..

yes it makes a good game and no doubt this will be good ... more than likely it will turn out well though.. I had my doubts until recently.

Well, bad controls can ruin a decent game. Look at Red Steel. I imagine this game will turn out a bit generic, but it still should be fun and the online will probably be decent.

Well, bad controls can ruin a decent game.

..hmm.. I find that an interesting comment! When I first played through Red Steel I felt that the controls actually turned what could have been a very average game into something that was pretty good fun :smile:

I've been back to it, and after playing Metroid Prime 3 I can definitely see that there were control issues in Red Steel, but these were not apparent the first time I played it as it felt exactly like I expected! Obviously Metroid Prime 3 raised the bar by quite a distance though :heh:

I actually just played RS the first time the other day, and while I own Prime 3, I'm sure even without playing another FPS on the Wii, I would be able to notice. Though, the issues I'm having with it aren't the ones people complain about. The turning is fine for me. Its other things. Now, saying that, I actually like what I've played so far of Red Steel. The environment feels rather fresh. Though if it controlled as well as Prime 3 or MoH:H2 it would have been amazing. Hopefully RS2 fixes the problems of the first and adds online play.

There's a nice editorial written by Eric Nofsinger (Conduit director) over at IGN here.

One interesting snippet:

Here's another area we'd like fan feedback on... In every game I've worked on, there's always a debate over whether single-player cheat codes should be in the game. Stuff like infinite ammo, invincibility, that kind of thing. Every game has them during development to help during debugging, and sometimes they are left in, and sometimes they are pulled out at the last minute. When they are pulled out, it's usually because the team is worried that it will take too much time to test them to make sure that everything in the game still plays the way it was intended. When they are left in, it's often because the team thought that fans won't mind if cheats allow you to do something you should not be able to, they are just a way to get some more fun out of the game you paid for. What do you readers think? We'll be watching the comments and it really will help influence whether we leave cheats in or not.