NEurope
Domo Kun

Vegetarianism

Eat whatever the fuck you want, I don't care, animals are for killing, torture, medical experiments, whatever anyone deems them for, not like I'm able to change any of that, so I won't trouble myself with it

I eat what I want and vegans are welcome to do the same.. but the moment they start preaching the only thing they are gonna eat is my boot

Can you honestly say that you think plants feel? If you do, fine, but I don't. I think animals do. It's not hard to come to that conclusion.

And lets keep this above the belt Jamba. No more snide comments alright.

Sorry if that came across as snide. Was very tired last night.

I can understand your arguement but what are you basing you arguement on? The fact that animals have nerves and a brain? So does your computer. Very few animals are cognitive and I'm sure that we eat very few of them. Could you suggest something to me that shows that what we eat has feelings?

Careful, her boyfriend is still around.

Really? Wow sucks for that idiot.

I like meat and it is made of epic win. Vegetarians are just crying over spilt milk and their reasons are ridiculous to be honest with you....

....Im joking, I can completely understand why veggies are veggies. Its just not for me.

You know, this may sound utter bs and i don't have a sauce for this, but you'll probably be able to google about it.

There was a study during the early 90's, where they used a machine that measures stress levels and such. They first hooked it upto a person and made them shout in pain, it showed strong stress and sound level.

They then removed pieces of bark from a tree and attached it to the main trunk. They then cut a few branches off the tree and they got the same reactions they did from the human on the machine.

I really remember reading or seeing something about this. But if anything doesn't it prove that plants can feel or atleast sense pain?

You know, this may sound utter bs and i don't have a sauce for this, but you'll probably be able to google about it.

There was a study during the early 90's, where they used a machine that measures stress levels and such. They first hooked it upto a person and made them shout in pain, it showed strong stress and sound level.

They then removed pieces of bark from a tree and attached it to the main trunk. They then cut a few branches off the tree and they got the same reactions they did from the human on the machine.

I really remember reading or seeing something about this. But if anything doesn't it prove that plants can feel or atleast sense pain?

I know plants can feel stress (due to different circumstances), but I believe they don't feel pain the same way we do, cause they lack a nerve system (I think). Animals however do feel the same kind of pain.

I don't know what you people are on about animals having feelings or not; do you mean emotional feelings? Cause a lot of animals (if not all) do show emotions, if just in a different way than people (plus their range of emotions is limited to what they would need to survive). Typical example is a dog, though you can also see it in cats. And I've heard of people who have cows and sheep that even those show different personalities and stuff.

If you don't see them as having feelings, then that's okay by me. But to call them lower beings that are only here for our pleasure is just cruel... =/

I most certainly hold the view that animals do have feelings. It can be easy to see how if you punish a dog for say biting someone a hit over the head and you can hear them whining.

I can safely bet a majority of animals have feelings we just need to spend long enough to start identifying them in anyone but humans. Like when chimpanzees learn sign language and have been known to reason, use verbs and nouns together and ask questions and reply.

Though one of my pet peeves are vegetarians who eat look-a-like meet. I mean if i went veggie I would be eating things which look like vegatables. Look-a-like burgers and sausages etc are just too paradoxical for someone who has sworn off meat.

I most certainly hold the view that animals do have feelings. It can be easy to see how if you punish a dog for say biting someone a hit over the head and you can hear them whining.

I can safely bet a majority of animals have feelings we just need to spend long enough to start identifying them in anyone but humans. Like when chimpanzees learn sign language and have been known to reason, use verbs and nouns together and ask questions and reply.

Though one of my pet peeves are vegetarians who eat look-a-like meet. I mean if i went veggie I would be eating things which look like vegatables. Look-a-like burgers and sausages etc are just too paradoxical for someone who has sworn off meat.

Nah I don't think so really. Only because they look like meat doesn't mean it is meat. I find veggie burgers (never had sausages, don't feel like having them either) to be a lot better tasting. Sure most of it might look like meat, but I feel better in the knowledge that my food doesn't contain parts from animals. =P

I always hated it as a kid when I was eating meat and there would be these hard parts in the meat. Don't even want to know what that was. >.<;

Oh and besides, I bet you need those replacement meats or else your body will be missing certain things it needs.

I can understand your arguement but what are you basing you arguement on? The fact that animals have nerves and a brain? So does your computer. Very few animals are cognitive and I'm sure that we eat very few of them. Could you suggest something to me that shows that what we eat has feelings?

Obviously I can't give you a link to a study or anything, you'll just have to go on my own experiences. And they're not complicated, they're not strange, hell they're fairly normal. Living out in the countryside (this is when I was a kid) you're always walking past farms and the like, and we knew a few of the owners. If you see a mother cow after it's lost one of it's calfs (sp?), you can't prove it, but you can see it's hurting. I asked myself if I wanted to be the reason for that.

Can I ask about you Jamba? What is your view on the whole thing?

If nobody ate meat then there would be very few cows, pigs, sheep etc. on this earth. If you truly cared about animals then you would just eat free range, organic meat.

Woah is this the deja vu thread?

Haha that is perfect for this thread.

Haha that is perfect for this thread.

Yeah, i did totally do that on purpose :)

If nobody ate meat then there would be very few cows, pigs, sheep etc. on this earth. If you truly cared about animals then you would just eat free range, organic meat.

Eh what? All those animals are simply "living" so they can end on our plates. I'd rather have less cows and pigs etc. living a decent life than have millions of them live in the circumstances they usually live in. =/

Not sure if any one has brought this up yet, but im all for Vegetarianism, but whats every ones stance on Vegertarians that will eat fish? Theres alot of them I've noticed (Well, may just be a local thing), but nothing pisses me off more than that.

Not sure if any one has brought this up yet, but im all for Vegetarianism, but whats every ones stance on Vegertarians that will eat fish? Theres alot of them I've noticed (Well, may just be a local thing), but nothing pisses me off more than that.

If you eat fish then you're simply not a vegetarian. It's the reason why I don't call myself one.

I know plants can feel stress (due to different circumstances), but I believe they don't feel pain the same way we do, cause they lack a nerve system (I think). Animals however do feel the same kind of pain.

I don't know what you people are on about animals having feelings or not; do you mean emotional feelings? Cause a lot of animals (if not all) do show emotions, if just in a different way than people (plus their range of emotions is limited to what they would need to survive). Typical example is a dog, though you can also see it in cats. And I've heard of people who have cows and sheep that even those show different personalities and stuff.

If you don't see them as having feelings, then that's okay by me. But to call them lower beings that are only here for our pleasure is just cruel... =/

How do you know that any other animal feels pain the way we do? We feel pain because damage to our body generates a nerve impulse to our brain. This instructs our brain to perceive pain. How do we know that that impulse causes the same thing in animals? In dogs and chimps it probably does but these are very highly developed animals. What about the animals that we actually eat?

Just to note here, I am not suggesting that animals definitely don't feel pain but that there is a possibility that they don't feel it in the same way we do, maybe even not at all. Similarly I am trying to suggest that there is a chance that plants feel pain (albeit in a very different way to us) but again, this is something that you can't prove either way.

I'm trying to show that the arguement isn't as simple as "but animals have feelings". But if you are like LazyBoy and you just believe that they do then I should probably stop talking. These kind of beliefs are absolute and you can't really have a discussion about them.

I eat meat, totally in the understanding that it dies. I also eat plants with the same thinking in mind because it is a living thing as well. Maybe the reason why I'm talking so much here is because to be a vegetarian, you have to discriminate. You have to say that it is more ok to eat one thing than another and to me that just seems wrong. Plants have just as much right to life as animals, maybe even more so.

If you eat fish then you're simply not a vegetarian. It's the reason why I don't call myself one.

Yeah, I've always thought this, its why it annoys me how people claim to be vegetarians, but eat fish because they dont have 'feelings'.

Yeah, I've always thought this, its why it annoys me how people claim to be vegetarians, but eat fish because they dont have 'feelings'.

Something In the Way by Nirvana... good mention OG.

Animals are not conscious. Specially not the ones we eat.

Now that's just plain stoopid :)

I do eat meat cause i realy like it, but i do feel guilty sometimes. I suppose if i had to hunt for my own meat i'd be a vegitarian, i couldn't kill an animal myself. But it's so nicely packaged it looks like a product, not like a living being.. makes it easier.

I do think man can eat meat if he chooses so, but the way animals are caged and mistreated in every possible way, that's just inhumane i don't approve of that.

My brother has been a vegitarian for over 15 years, even he had doubts last year, thinking i've been an vegitarian for 15 years and i've accomplished nothing. Animals are still being killed, meat is still thrown out in the supermarket at the end of the day.

well jamba, you say dogs are highly developed, yet pigs are intelegent animals too, yet you eat them

as for not feeling pain, i surgest you actualy watch an animal we eat in pain, they panic and squirm in clear disscomfort.

i do still eat meat, i enjoy it even though im aware of the animals suffering. i recon that makes me worse then the ignorant. still, i tend to dissattach myself from most stuff i see. its the only way you can sleep at night in the western world.

and vegitarians who eat fish arnt veggies. i know a veggie who eats chicken, and any meat you cant tell is meat.

maybe i will turn veggitarian in a few years, but as i spend 4 months a year living with my parents theres no point, i dont want to change them, i dont feel in any way they need to stop eating meat. i dont think anyone really feels they dont eat meat just for the animals, rather for there own concience.

was i even going any were with that post?

well jamba, you say dogs are highly developed, yet pigs are intelegent animals too, yet you eat them

as for not feeling pain, i surgest you actualy watch an animal we eat in pain, they panic and squirm in clear disscomfort.

i do still eat meat, i enjoy it even though im aware of the animals suffering. i recon that makes me worse then the ignorant. still, i tend to dissattach myself from most stuff i see. its the only way you can sleep at night in the western world.

and vegitarians who eat fish arnt veggies. i know a veggie who eats chicken, and any meat you cant tell is meat.

maybe i will turn veggitarian in a few years, but as i spend 4 months a year living with my parents theres no point, i dont want to change them, i dont feel in any way they need to stop eating meat. i dont think anyone really feels they dont eat meat just for the animals, rather for there own concience.

This is one thing I hate. You can say that about any good deed.

"he doesn't do nice things for you he does it to make himself feel better."

A good deed is a good deed is a good deed.

i suppose, though ive come out of helping people feeling worse for it. back in the early 40's this german fellow with a little moustach asked me to pop somthing in the oven for him. i felt rather foolish after that episode i can tell you!

The most important question here is: Do Vegans swallow?

Yeah of course they do, why does everyone think this is such an edgy and hilarious question