NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
navarre

Nineteen Eighty-Four

This is, without a shadow of doubt, a great book. It is my personal favourite of all time. The pessimism of it, the depressing ending... everything is just class. A masterpiece. So, have you read it? And if so, what are your thoughts on it?

I read it, and it felt kinda pointless and depressing.

I prefer reading books that are proper stories rather than books which are books to get across the author's political stance.

I agree, one of the best books I have ever read. I've been told animal farm is better, but I havent read that.

i loved some of the ideas behind it, the way peoples lives were controled by the media, the newspapers and radios constantly changing, and people accepting it.

the ending has a tragic beauty to it. i still remember the pain in my chest after that last chapter.

I love the book. :)

If you like it, why not give the film adaption a try? John Hurt stars as Winston, and Richard Burton is wonderfully cast as O'brien. It's such an honest adaption, really true to the book.

It's been a while since I've read it, so I'm probably going to give it another go soon. Thinking about it, it's a really terrifying novel, the idea of being watched constantly, and being forced to conform to a norm. Great stuff.

I agree, one of the best books I have ever read. I've been told animal farm is better, but I havent read that.

i loved some of the ideas behind it, the way peoples lives were controled by the media, the newspapers and radios constantly changing, and people accepting it.

the ending has a tragic beauty to it. i still remember the pain in my chest after that last chapter.

Exactly. To have a book make you feel like that is a great experience in itself.

Animal Farm is also great. I prefer nineteen-eighty four, but Animal Farm is just a classic.

I love the book. :)

If you like it, why not give the film adaption a try? John Hurt stars as Winston, and Richard Burton is wonderfully cast as O'brien. It's such an honest adaption, really true to the book.

It's been a while since I've read it, so I'm probably going to give it another go soon. Thinking about it, it's a really terrifying novel, the idea of being watched constantly, and being forced to conform to a norm. Great stuff.

i belive anouther film is being made, i just hope they dont hollywood it up. whilst it would be nice to see a more modern take on the idea, i dont want to see holloscreens of big brother, and gun battles in the street to some cheesy sound track.

i belive anouther film is being made, i just hope they dont hollywood it up. whilst it would be nice to see a more modern take on the idea, i dont want to see holloscreens of big brother, and gun battles in the street to some cheesy sound track.

To be honest, I don't see what they can possibly gain from another film version. It's perfect enough as it is.

I don't have much faith, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong! :)

To be honest, I don't see what they can possibly gain from another film version. It's perfect enough as it is.

I don't have much faith, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong! :)

The film version ruined it somewhat for me, for one main reason- Room 101. It was no-where near as white or as big as I pictured it to be. Hopefully the 2009 version makes Room 101 truer to the text. But yeah, the film was a good adaption.

The film version ruined it somewhat for me, for one main reason- Room 101. It was no-where near as white or as big as I pictured it to be. Hopefully the 2009 version makes Room 101 truer to the text. But yeah, the film was a good adaption.

I actually prefered the sequence in the film as opposed to the book. It was a dark, damp and gritty place. And, God, the rats! May the rats eat out your eyes! :(

deep, into that darkness, peering. Long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting...

Apart from the the "out" you're spot on though ;) Love that game.

Anyway! This book. It cool. I read it at the same time as The Outsider and Brave New World, so they all remind me of each other, and there are themes between and accross them that are similar, so I recommend you check them out if you like 1984 :)

As for the film version; the sex scene wasn't a patch on the book ;)

The message behind this book was ofcourse incredible and something we all should all learn, but I didn't think the book itself was terribly well written, and not that good to read. Animal farm is a good book to read, even if I did finish it during a lay-over in Hong Kong.

Ahh great book it is.

Animal Farm is also very interesting, though at the time i read it i think i was a little too young to grasp the concepts involved. Need to re-read one day...

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

great book in the same line of 1984, definately worth reading, and watching

It's been some time since i read 1984 but i know i liked it very much, though i found f451 slightly better

deep, into that darkness, peering. Long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting...

Apart from the the "out" you're spot on though ;) Love that game.

Anyway! This book. It cool. I read it at the same time as The Outsider and Brave New World, so they all remind me of each other, and there are themes between and accross them that are similar, so I recommend you check them out if you like 1984 :)

As for the film version; the sex scene wasn't a patch on the book ;)

You're such a penis. :heh:

Glad you got the reference, though. Been playing through it, again. :D

The message behind this book was ofcourse incredible and something we all should all learn, but I didn't think the book itself was terribly well written, and not that good to read. Animal farm is a good book to read, even if I did finish it during a lay-over in Hong Kong.

I have to disagree, I thought 1984 was written pretty damn well. Still, it has been a while since I've read it, so maybe it is hindsight. I did find I had to re-read sentences over and over just to get things clear in my head, but I did enjoy every second of reading it.

it took me a while to get into. i think its cos i didnt like the main guy at first.

im going to give it a few years before i re-read it, want to forget as much as possible, though i can remember a lot of it.

Our Winston works hard for the state,

He meets Julia, goes on a date.

His thoughtcrimes come out,

He sees rats; turns devout,

Now he thinks that Big Brother is great.

But on a more serious note, I have read both this and Animal Farm; I prefer the former. I'd say it's plusgood, but wouldn't go as far as doubleplusgood. It is nevertheless clever.

Our Winston works hard for the state,

He meets Julia, goes on a date.

His thoughtcrimes come out,

He sees rats; turns devout,

Now he thinks that Big Brother is great.

But on a more serious note, I have read both this and Animal Farm; I prefer the former. I'd say it's plusgood, but wouldn't go as far as doubleplusgood. It is nevertheless clever.

Did you come up with that rhyme yourself? If so, you are awesome. If not...well...then you just plain suck. Sucka!

I love the book so much I got 2+2=4 tatooed onto my wrist.

That's pretty amazing. If you go crazy in a few years time, and if the world does go even more "1984", you could have the 4 crossed out and replaced with a 5. See, the possibilities are endless!

Can't believe I still haven't read this book! Although I did love Animal Farm....might pick this up..

Did you come up with that rhyme yourself? If so, you are awesome. If not...well...then you just plain suck. Sucka!

That's pretty amazing. If you go crazy in a few years time, and if the world does go even more "1984", you could have the 4 crossed out and replaced with a 5. See, the possibilities are endless!

this just in: Jim has fat wrists like a chubby and thinks it's normal.

It took me a while to work out that Big Brother doesn't actually exist, and that Oceania is very possible the only super-state. Eurasia and Eastasia don't exist.

The book is amazingly good, one of my favourite books I have read. However there is a book thread for discussing these things >.>

this just in: Jim has fat wrists like a chubby and thinks it's normal.

So, we're on first name terms are we now?

Intercourse is next, I cannae wait.

To the chappy who suggested Farenheit 451: Good shout out. Great book. Although, it's not the longest of books.

I still have this from my friend a while back but haven't read it yet!

It's the next book i read once i have finished Animal's People :D

Sign in to follow this