Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

LittleBigPlanet Thread

Daft

I think it is very much a "problem" with the UK and the Western world in general that if something offends the masses then it can be stomached. So in this case from the perspective of the UK if something offends White Christians then yes it can cause uproar, but in some ways is nothing compared to similar offence being caused to a "minority" religion (not worldwide of course as there are millions of muslims) It's odd and something that can't really be explained, it doesn't just extend to just religion. I think here in the UK our island mentality does have a big part to play.

That's my point, apparently not even Muslims care about it and I'm sure there are many musics with references to the Qu'ran. Why did they decide to make this such a big deal.

Looking at the other option.

In the UK people wont like religious material in a kids game. Period. Unless its sold as a religious game. In LBP's case without the return, the uproar would have spilled over to outside of us game types to parents, politicians, retailers etc. Alot of parents are super protective. Childrens games have to be super strict with guidelines(even if kids use the word spastic alot in playgrounds).

The people saying Sony should tough it out are crazy. LBP will simply be pulled and could result in legal action like GTA. Also since when have politicians been kind to games in these situations? Its all to lose for Sony and games will lag even more behind other media.

I think its not really people are concerned with the release date, its more the kind of treatment sensitive issues get.

Personally I dont give a damn but some seem keen on on full on war rather than reasoned discussion and are using LBP as some sort of political tool. It simply is not.

Plus i agree its a pretty short delay. If only people used this energy on Duke Nukem :heh:

Thinking of should I unwrap or sell? Prices are ok on ebay not much profit to be made.

To be frank i am tired of arguing even if i think from sony's perspective it was a tough but good decision. The least evil in a sense. There was simply no easy solution to this. Big mistake from MM but i dont think the game should

suffer

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When someone announced the lyrical thing I was kind of like 'ah I see'. I don't see what the big issue is. Basically it was just a little religious thing that needed to be taken out. I'm not offended easily, but you have to know that lots of people are.

They probably only needed a patch but oh well, if it turns out to be released later then so be it.

When someone announced the lyrical thing I was kind of like 'ah I see' and so basically it was just a little religious thing that needed to be taken out. I'm not offended easily, but you have to know that lots of people are.

They probably only needed a patch but oh well, if it turns out to be released later then so be it.

It's a sad statement on modern society.

And it's a sad statement on the population when this goes unchallenged.

Freedom of speech etc etc.

I do however understand non-religious people being annoyed at the content of this song given the game's setting and art style. Parents are the ones who should be pissed off here, not a group of people who chose to follow such a stupidly over sensitive bloody religion.

It's a sad statement on modern society.

And it's a sad statement on the population when this goes unchallenged.

Freedom of speech etc etc.

Except LBP is not about freedom of speech(rated for all). Its not like MM intended to use the Quran. It was simply an accident.

I do however understand non-religious people being annoyed at the content of this song given the game's setting and art style. Parents are the ones who should be pissed off here, not a group of people who chose to follow such a stupidly over sensitive bloody religion.

To be fair lots of groups are offended easily (in some ways). Which is why LBP will be moderated ( 9/11 level, penises, burning human bodies etc.). Thats actual censorship but it needs to be done to keep it child friendly and within the theme of the game.

Censorship is OK as long as it reflects the masses in the territory that carries it out. For example, the alteration of Mario Party 8 for Europe was essential, as the use of "spastic" as an insult would genuinely offend most decent British people. I dare say most British people would also find Manhunt 2 unacceptable.

The censorship of Little Big Planet, though, bothers me as it does mean we no longer have freedom of artistic expression (or at least, we can't enjoy commercial products that would use it). The designers obviously wanted to set a certain tone, now they are not allowed to.

What if a small minority of Muslims wanted us to take pigs out of games? It would genuinely limit our artistic freedom. The reason I mention this is that the Moblins (which are pig-like and one of the most classic Zelda enemies) were actually taken out of Twilight Princess (Ganon wasn't as pig-like as usual either) and weren't in Phantom Hourglass either. You never know...

OMG I used the M word. :indeed:

To be fair this forum is not that bad, its easy taking in alot of information but i dont want to post in many forums(time). Its not like its wrong to be critical of Muslims but doing it without justification seems pretty common. Some forums were comparing LBP to the Danish cartoons lol. Others just like geting a rise out of the situation.

It was more to do with your rather unfortunate use of "the" before the M word.

In the same way you don't say "the blacks".

Except LBP is not about freedom of speech(rated for all). Its not like MM intended to use the Quran. It was simply an accident.

To be fair lots of groups are offended easily (in some ways). Which is why LBP will be moderated ( 9/11 level, penises, burning human bodies etc.). Thats actual censorship but it needs to be done to keep it child friendly and within the theme of the game.

1) It doesn't matter. I was making the point that freedom of speech is infringed upon because of the deluded beliefs of a minority. And we now too often tip toe around these people and try not to offend their sensibilites. There's being considerate, and then there's being concessionary for fear of causing offensive and being called a racist or being shot.

2) I can understand the content being moderated. And even a patch being issued because i don't think the lyrics are family friendly which is in contrast to the happy clappy nature of the game. I get that. I don't get this over reaction, not because i'm bothered by the slight delay, i'm bothered by the principle of it. Which is why i replied to the post above.

Hmmm. I use 'the' alot for religions. Interesting.

we now too often tip toe around these people and try not to offend their sensibilites

I think people worry too much. No one is suing anyone here, nor is anyone actually outraged. People just like overeacting. LBP in the scheme of things just is not that important. These issues certainly should debated openly but some seem to think debate is a one way excercise... Either way I do not think its really the best place discuss matters like this. But there are excellent books and studies worth checking it out in some libraries. Frustration with religious or ethnic groups is hardly new and its generally abused for long periods of time in Europe.

I get that. I don't get this over reaction

Its typical for alot of things... Sadly.

Sell, definitely, you'll get maybe £85 for it, then buy the version when it comes out for about £37.

Prices are competitive on ebay. I'll try it out. Set the reserve price... I just hate that with fees etc. you dont make much. :heh:

You'll make loads even with fees, and I saw the last few all go for over £85.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__littlebigplanet_W0QQ_nkwZlittlebigplanetQQQ5ftrkparmsZ39Q253A1Q257C66Q253A2Q257C65Q253A2QQ_dmptZUKQ5fPCQ5fVideoQ5fGamesQ5fVideoQ5fGamesQ5fJSQQ_sopZ3QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14?_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

None at high prices... :( Why do i always lose on ebay.

I may just put it on Amazon marketplace.

I actually have a copy of LBP with the Somalian song that caused the delay. It's a really good song as well, i remember saying it was good before the whole thing happened. Such a shame they had to have a recall. I think its ridiculous, as if anyone would be offended by it, and even if they were, its such a small percentage of people that would even understand the song in the first place.

It is a game, much like a book is just a fucking book.

However the precedent it sets is very worrying, which is my point.

Exactly, LBP had a deep thought provoking political message in their game that was forcibly taken out...

Because if we pander to fundamentalist belief we lose free speech perhaps?!

Yes muslims run the country. We should kick them out of government. Damn mulsims always taking away freedom of speech with their support of anti-terroism and overpolicing big brother society support.

We shouldn't be allowed to be intimidated into losing what makes society worth living in.

Precisely, the delay of LBP makes life not worth living.

Just to add: please bid for my early LBP copy. If you support freedom you will bid.

Exactly, LBP had a deep thought provoking political message in their game that was forcibly taken out...

Yes muslims run the country. We should kick them out of government. Damn mulsims always taking away freedom of speech with their support of anti-terroism and overpolicing big brother society support.

Just to add: please bid for my early LBP copy. If you support freedom you will bid.

lol, very good. :D

You got a link to your copy?

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3170808

1up have posted a top 5 religions offended by games.

Here is the choice for number 1;

1. Christianity (Everything Else)

Christianity

Beating up on angels while listening to unnecessary Catholic chanting is practically a genre unto itself. Castlevania title screens play a call to Mass, it's pretty much standard for any ultimate bad guy to pop wings all over hell before the final battle, and at least one Final Fantasy title has you beating up Jesus and his 12 apostles (albeit with funnier names). We'd be pretty hard pressed to pull all of these off the shelves.

Stop being a stupid dick.

It's the pandering of Sony to a minority of fundamentalist believers that is the problem, whether intentional or not, it's just the latest attempt to make sure society respects religion, which it really shouldn't anymore than it respect any other organisation.

A state in which freedom of speech is compromised because of fundamentalist, over reactionary religious belief is not worth living in. LBP could never come out here and i wouldn't care as much as i do it being altered and modified because of a minority, it sets a very bad precedent of things to come. It is also probably the result of the murders and 'outrage' about the cartoon depicting muhammed, which was also unacceptable and horrific.

I live in the hope of you functioning well enough to put your point forward without being a dick this time, dear.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!