NEurope
Daft

LittleBigPlanet Thread

"1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish')."

How could this happen?

LittleBigPlanet new US release is now with;

WoW: Lich King

Call of Duty: World at War

Mirror's Edge

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

What games coming out in UK at the time?

Yeah its a shame. LBP sales :(

Are those lyrics ok for a U rated game? Since its the Quran it can be seen in different ways :heh:

You have to wonder how the hell it did happen. But then again if they just picked a song and there are only 2 lines in the whole song it looks more like sneaky songmakers chucking it in how could they ever have been expected to know?

To: Sony Computer Entertainment & Media Molecule

While playing your latest game, "LittleBigPlanet" in the first level of the third world in the game (titled "Swinging Safari", I have noticed something strange in the lyrics of the music track of the level. When I listened carefully, I was surprised to hear some very familiar Arabic words from the Quran. You can listen to part of the track here:

mt14.quickshareit.com/share/p...lip22503c0.wav

The words are:

1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').

I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention.

We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.

We would also like to mention that this isn't the first time something like this happened in videogames. Nintendo's 1998 hit "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" contained a musical track with islamic phrases, but it was removed in later shipments of the game after Nintendo was contacted by Muslim organizations. Last year, Capcom's "Zack & Wiki" and Activision's "Call of Duty 4" also contained objectionable material offensive to Muslims that was spotted before the release of the final games, and both companies thankfully removed the content.

We hope you act immediately to avoid any confusion and unnecessary controversy, and we thank you for making such an amazing game.

Regards,

yasser

Why oh why couldn't they have just patched it and removed it from subsequent prints of the disc? It sucks but guess thats the way its going to happen...sigh...

EDIT;

can understand why they would find it offensive...pop songs and all their beautiful women etc... and the indulgence in celebrity materialism etc...all things about the West that is hated....

Lol, don't they have a lot more to bomb before Media Molecule or Sony? I'm so tired of this, just grow a fucking spine.

LittleBigPlanet Release Update

During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur’an. We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologize for any offense that this may have caused.

We will begin shipping LittleBigPlanet to retail in North America the week of October 27th. Sorry for the delay, and rest assured, we are doing everything we can to get LittleBigPlanet to you as soon as possible.

Nice music. I can see why MM liked it. They really should have checked out the lyrics however. Not appropriate for the game plus the Quran verses dont help.

I think territories where reprint is not required should just be patched. Apparently other publishers have done similar things e.g Nintendo with the 'spastic' comment in Paper Mario.

Hopefully 1 week delay for Europe too.

Nice music. I can see why MM liked it. They really should have checked out the lyrics however. Not appropriate for the game plus the Quran verses dont help.

I think territories where reprint is not required should just be patched. Apparently other publishers have done similar things e.g Nintendo with the 'spastic' comment in Paper Mario.

Hopefully 1 week delay for Europe too.

marioparty8.jpg

LBP user generated content will cause touble now because of this news.

This news makes me glad I don't own a PS3 tbh

You are always anti-PS3 anyway, I'm still glad I have one because this game will be fantastic.

New UK release date is October 31st.

At least its October. Valkyria Chronicles and this on the same day.

This is so messed up.. they delay it to take something like that out.. when any user could put that stuff right back in.

This is so messed up.. they delay it to take something like that out.. when any user could put that stuff right back in.

Its just a song that is being removed or altered. You cant create you own music(well at least the same way as premade music).

This whole thing was blown out of proportion. Just a 1 week delay. Some of the Muslim hate here is pretty shameful.

Its just a song that is being removed or altered. You cant create you own music(well at least the same way as premade music).

This whole thing was blown out of proportion. Just a 1 week delay. Some of the Muslim hate here is pretty shameful.

Indeed mate. I am muslim but I dont think that quote in the song is in anyway going to offended any Muslims I know. Like you said its been blown WAY out of proportion.

Better :P

A Muslim found it and told Sony about it.

Firstly it's obvious they don't want the bad publicity that may arise from this situation. And here's where I think the people on this board have really lost the plot. People keep suggesting that it should be the Muslims who avoid the game but why - and I really want to scream this in bold but i'll resist - Why on earth would Sony want a potentially large group of people to avoid their game and possibly other future products in the larger Sony conglomerate.

Sony aren't simply caving in to the religious demands of Muslims here. They've seen that something in their game could be offensive to some of their customers and have made the correct decision to rectify that. From what I can tell people getting overly upset over this are either dense or using this to push their anti-religious/Islam agenda.

Would the situation have been any different if the one of the songs lyrics contained phrases that may have offended those of Japanese decent? Do people really think Sony would have acted any differently? Sony are doing their best not to offend their customers here and it should be commended. Unfortunately certain people are just unwilling to accept that people take their beliefs very seriously and would rather remain ignorant to this.

Sadly whats got a lot of people riled up here is less that Sony have taken steps to avoid offending their customers but that it concerns those who practice Islam.

New UK release date is October 31st.

At least its October. Valkyria Chronicles and this on the same day.

ARGH! Could get LBP, Fallout 3 and maybe Valkyria Chronicles all on the same day! Something will have to give.

Given its LBP, its funny how the discussion went awfully unLBP like :( Lets get this topic back on track.

Sadly whats got a lot of people riled up here is less that Sony have taken steps to avoid offending their customers but that it concerns those who practice Islam.

Its like a free excuse to bash for some people. Unfortunately its all very one sided. There was this interesting programme on Channel 4 but I missed it. Its got a media slant to it but it does seem like it takes the current anti muslim feelings into account.

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/dispatches/it+shouldnt+happen+to+a+muslim/2314592

Today reminds me to check it out on youtube sometime.

ARGH! Could get LBP, Fallout 3 and maybe Valkyria Chronicles all on the same day! Something will have to give.

Can you play all three properly in one week? :heh: I am not going to rush in too much (I hope). I might give Fallout a miss, not a huge fan of Obvlivion. WOW WOTLK is nearing too.

You are always anti-PS3 anyway, I'm still glad I have one because this game will be fantastic.

I should probably explain my reasoning behind the comment; I'm glad I don't own a PS3 because I'd be dying inside out of anticipation for the game if I had one. LBP and MGS4 are my sole reasons for wanting a PS3, but I'll wait til MGS4 hits the 360 and all will be well.

Muslims don't realise we take our freedom of speech very seriously.

You mean like how governments are constantly implementing more laws that curb our rights, privacy and freedoms. Of course that does not matter, lets just focus on the Muslims! How dare they speak against anyone! :indeed:

LBP and MGS4 are my sole reasons for wanting a PS3, but I'll wait til MGS4 hits the 360 and all will be well.

Good luck on MGS4. Even if it comes it will be gimped given mandatory harddisk installs and features 360 cant do. Ofcourse not guaranteed.

I should probably explain my reasoning behind the comment; I'm glad I don't own a PS3 because I'd be dying inside out of anticipation for the game if I had one. LBP and MGS4 are my sole reasons for wanting a PS3, but I'll wait til MGS4 hits the 360 and all will be well.

Looks like you may be right.....

http://kotaku.com/5063447/konami-officially-comments-on-xbox-360-metal-gear-solid-4

With regards to LBP, having played the beta to death, I can sure wait 2/3 weeks, and, tbh, I think the likes of FarCry2, GH:WT, CoD World at War and Quantum of Solace will be spinning away inside my PS3 more than LBP. Thats if I finish Bioshock......

Good luck on MGS4. Even if it comes it will be gimped given mandatory harddisk installs and features 360 cant do. Ofcourse not guaranteed.

Response:

I can’t speak on behalf of Konami, but I can shed more light on the fact that we definitely have the power to run MGS4.

There are a lot of recent examples that are in true high-def on our platform and aren’t on PS3. We’ve got an amazing amount of horsepower and graphics power.

http://kotaku.com/5064353/microsoft-says-xbox-360-can-handle-metal-gear-solid-4

Another response:

The worldwide demand for an Xbox 360 version (of MGS4) is quite high, and it is something we are currently looking in to.

http://kotaku.com/5063447/konami-officially-comments-on-xbox-360-metal-gear-solid-4-%5Bupdated%5D

So when is it coming out? Some sites reporting the UK will get it on 31st others say 14th November.

I still don't get why they can't mandatory patch it out of the first print of discs and then not put it on the future prints of the disc. It makes little if any sense. Especially when they have said the patch will be out and ready on launch day for those who may get a recalled version.

A worldwide recall for such a big title is no small thing, they are going to have to be busy getting the numbers of discs in circulation up high enough.

Dyson , MGS4 may come out some day(not known yes or no). MGS4 would require massive butchering to run on 360, thats fact. Its not like FFXIII or Tekken 6 which are being held back for PS3, so 360 can get a working port. The fact that the games are being held back is worrying for quality. Something which MGS4 did not have to bother about.

I still don't get why they can't mandatory patch it out of the first print of discs and then not put it on the future prints of the disc. It makes little if any sense. Especially when they have said the patch will be out and ready on launch day for those who may get a recalled version.

The rules are if the song is on the disk. Its still part of the game. This is thanks to all the free speech advocates campaigning for GTA SA(not, although Rockstar were also stupid). If any retailer caught wind of the lyrics being child unfriendly they will simply pull the game from shelves. A patch would not be enough as the lyrics would still be in the disk. This is how censorship now plays out in most places. Protect the kids. Sony is evil. Retailers make the move etc. would have occured.

Dyson , MGS4 may come out some day(not known yes or no). MGS4 would require massive butchering to run on 360, thats fact.

From what I can tell, the only "butchering" needed is that some of the more simple cutscenes will have to be transferred to the in-game engine to save space, but that's for another thread.

This is for LBP, I game I was looking forward to until I saw it in motion.

From what I can tell, the only "butchering" needed is that some of the more simple cutscenes will have to be transferred to the in-game engine to save space, but that's for another thread.

All of MGS4 cutscenes are realtime. Except one. :smile: Space saving is going to mean big compression. Lack of hardrive means they will cut back on complexity of levels. Afterall the game is PS3 ground up. But yes this would be for another thread.

This is for LBP, I game I was looking forward to until I saw it in motion.

LBP in motion is like the stuff good dreams are made out of :heh:

They're not going to say "No, our console can't run MGS4", are they? The truth is that with the mandatory hard drive installs, any 360 model without a hard drive probably couldn't play it. They'd have to release it on 5 discs or something instead and the whole thing would probably feel disjointed.

Plus, who will care about the game by the time it comes out? XD I'd rather have the console to play the game when it actually hits the shelves. It's like when they released Halo 2 for PC a while after it came to Xbox. I certainly couldn't care about it anymore, and the game felt pretty old. Judging by the fact there's no article detailing that they're working on the 360 version right now you can pretty much bet if it did come to 360 it wouldn't do for a long time.

Dyson , MGS4 may come out some day(not known yes or no). MGS4 would require massive butchering to run on 360, thats fact. Its not like FFXIII or Tekken 6 which are being held back for PS3, so 360 can get a working port. The fact that the games are being held back is worrying for quality. Something which MGS4 did not have to bother about.

The rules are if the song is on the disk. Its still part of the game. This is thanks to all the free speech advocates campaigning for GTA SA(not, although Rockstar were also stupid). If any retailer caught wind of the lyrics being child unfriendly they will simply pull the game from shelves. A patch would not be enough as the lyrics would still be in the disk. This is how censorship now plays out in most places. Protect the kids. Sony is evil. Retailers make the move etc. would have occured.

But then OoT included such lyrics and was simply removed from future copies...and whatever the other game they used as an example...Guess though Zack and Wiki and CoD4 both had similar problems and the content was simply removed. Also some people already have the game so it simply be patched on theirs anyway...wheres the censorship on that? It's still going to be there on some copies already in circulation...

I can understand them wanting to not offend. But I do find all this offensive material being culled a bit too much, I think very odd...It seems anything can offend people from some walk of life different to our own (of course even in this microcosm that is n-e we are all from different walks of life)

I just hope they get it sorted and the game hits with no repercussions on the sales or reputation of the title or media molecule