N-Europe

Formula 1 2008

MadDog

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think I make it sound like they were doing it deliberately, I certainly never thought that. It's just their reliability was a joke, I've never known a driver be so unlucky!

I know I keep flooding this thread with youtube vids, but I think it's cool for us all to share our F1 experiences we remember. Anyways, just found this great Kimi tribute video, which just reminded me so much of why I support him:

Just to get a handle on things in here, who does everyone support?

Who supports a team, and who supports a driver and will follow them where ever they go?

I've always supported Mclaren all the way. Although i've never been a big Raikonnen fan, i know he's got the reputation as the 'iceman' but he just doesn't look interested to me. Although i suppose he was unlucky at Mclaren not too win the championship, he only won it last year due to the failure of a mclaren (oh the irony). Driver support wise, I like Hamilton but my favourite is Hiekki, he just always similing and positive - like a little kitten you want to hug. I think that's one of the reason the team love him, even though before today's win, his season wasn't anything spectacular.

And how long has everyone been into F1?

I think my interest in the sport started around 2000. I remember watching Hakkinen and him being the first to kick start my interest. I certainly remember this move making me take notice!

Then my interest grew, following more races, taking an interest in teams and the drivers names.

Then when Kimi came on the McLaren scene in 2002 and really took a hold of things in 2003 that cemented it for me and I've been a die-hard F1 and Kimi fan ever since!

Ive recently supported Kovalainen :)

Team-wise is McLaren, because there good and British :)

How long? Ummmm

I used to watch from about 2001-2005. Then didnt watch the 2006 season, then i have watched it since Hamiltons first season,so last season :P

Whichever season big Nige won either 93 or 94 I think cant remember. I remember seeing the Senna crash though, and the Monaco Olivier Panis won when 3 cars finished.

Didn't properly get into it until either 95 or 96 when it was Hill vs Schumacher and Schumacher took Hill out in the last race to win the championship :(

Can't remember what year it was, but the first race I ever saw was Brazil, where there was a huge crash and debris all over the track. It got red flagged, the win was given to Fisichella in the Jordan at the time. For the next few races I watched it I was confused as to why the "best team" kept doing so bad, until I understood what had happened :p

Can't remember what year it was, but the first race I ever saw was Brazil, where there was a huge crash and debris all over the tra

ck. It got red flagged, the win was given to Fisichella in the Jordan at the time. For the next few races I watched it I was confused as to why the "best team" kept doing so bad, until I understood what had happened :p

That was 2003 and such an awesome bizarre race!

As I remember it, Kimi was given the win on the day and then he handed the trophy back to Fisichella.

Here it is... this clip is well worth a watch:

I just don't understand how Alonso wasn't told!!

The commentary was awful today. Allen didn't even say anything when Massa made that fantastic start and when Massa retired you heard him yell out 'YESSSSS!'.

Almost cried when Massa made that move at turn 1. Came closer to crying when i saw his engine up in smoke...He deserved better because he is the unluckiest driver in all of F1, even today when he did his best ever drive.

The commentary was some of James Allens worst ever!

And urgh, all the talk of Hamiltons 'Air of invincibilty'...

Maybe McLaren should start using that in his tyres!

That was an awesome race Gizmo!

Here it is... this clip is well worth a watch:

I just don't understand how Alonso wasn't told!!

The commentary was some of James Allens worst ever!

And urgh, all the talk of Hamiltons 'Air of invincibilty'...

Maybe McLaren should start using that in his tyres!

lol yeah maybe the tires would actually last a few more laps then. James Allen should be fired, he is a disgrace to commentators imo. Honestly, who's that guy who does Radio 5 Live football commentary, because he is brilliant and not bias at all which is the complete opposite of James Allen. How he's kept his job this long is beyond me.

Now Brundle I like :) He's a Hamilton supporter but he appreciates what all the other drivers do; he would have said 'well done Massa' after he made that move at turn 1 whereas Allen was like ':shakehead '.

Anyway, I started watching F1 in 1998 (Schueys best season imo, even though Hakkinen won the title). I remember the first race was in Spain where Schumacher was 30 seconds behind both Mclarens with 22 laps left, and by the end of the race he was right up behind them but couldn't find a way through :( I also remember Hungary that year where he did 3 stops and had to find 25 seconds in 19 laps...amazing :)

Favourite team is Ferrari simply because when i started watching F1, it was McLaren who were winning and i felt sorry for Schuey and Ferrari who lost out on the title twice. I remember watching the final few laps of Suzuka 2000 praying that nothing would go wrong with schueys car...When he crossed the line i was SO damn happy.

Also a fan of red bull, living in Milton keynes and all. :)

Been watching F1 as far as I can remember - the final days of Mansell, the death of Senna, the Hill V Schumi wars, and everything after that, I watched it all. I've always been a rank nationalist, so I've always rooted for Hill, Coulthard and their successors. I always rather liked Schumacher myself, despite some questionable tactics as his desire to win was palpable. I've always had a soft spot for Williams, and as well Hamilton et all, I'm always rooting for Nakajima during GPs. I like his consistent style, and I'm constantly distressed by the fact that Sato is actually the best Japanese F1 driver to date.

Now here's something which will haunt me until the day I die:

I've always supported Mclaren because Coulthard, who's Scottish, was with them when I first got into F1 around 1999/2000 when Hakkinen was at his prime. Went off F1 when Schumacher won every single season and it wasn't that interesting. My interest sparked again last season with Hamilton and I now support him and Mclaren once more. Really into it now, being older I can appreciate it's more than just driving, there's loads of tactics to it.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's Valencia this weekend!

Not really sure what I think of the curcuit yet; currently watching free-practice live on the itv website.

Looks fun to drive, and certain parts look great from the on-board camera's... though atm it certainly isn't that nice to look at!

Viewed from the helicopter however the circuit looks stunning!!

It's literally like some builders have made a makeshift circuit on their building site out of some concrete blocks and wire fencing!... major concrete fest!!

Anyways the bridge is cool, and they're bound to add some vegetation and other attractions to the circuit for the following years, as you really can tell the site isn't finished yet and has just need brought up to a certain standard to host the GP.

The race will be the real test of the circuit anyways!

I try to avoid paying too much attention to practice times, they're always undermined by fiddling around with tyres and weight and not what. Qualifying still tends to be in my eyes the weekends first conformation of race pace.

Yeah but qualifying is a lot of time down to who can go fastest during the friday session because that's when they've gotten enough info from the circuit.

Alonso will most likely have been extremely light on fuel for that 2nd fastest time. It's effectively a second home GP for him, so he's bound to try his usual trick in qualifying tommorrow of running very light on fuel to give the Spanish fans something to cheer about.

Dunno what happened with Button!

Great to see Kimi back running well on Friday and I hope he can grap pole for the race, as looks like overtaking will be very difficult outside of the pitstops.

I was hoping for Vettel getting on the front row after the first two rounds but ah well.

Seems to me that whoever goes round the first corner in the lead won't necessarily win it too so it should be a good race - I like the look of the track.

Tomorrow should be bloody brilliant. Ideally i would like Hamilton to retire and for it to finish Massa, Kubica and Kimi (simply so kubica closed in on the top drivers and Massa got a deserved victory).

hamilton should get a great start on the clean start BUT massa has been incredibly quick in the first sector all weekend; excuse me if i'm wrong but he's atleast 2 tenths faster than most of the other top cars (ie. Kimi and Lewis). In terms of race pace, i think massa could pull it out of the bag...

BUT! if it rains, Kimi will make his way through i think.