N-Europe

Wii Freeloader Thread - FAQ & Info in First Post

DiemetriX

Read the rest of the thread. We're getting asking these questions every page now -.-

There's no definite answer yet. Just don't update your firmware untill you make sure it doesn't block the freeloader (which I doubt they'll do or atleast for a long time)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the rest of the thread. We're getting asking these questions every page now -.-

There's no definite answer yet. Just don't update your firmware untill you make sure it doesn't block the freeloader (which I doubt they'll do or atleast for a long time)

Sorry dude :) Followed the thread in its early stages, but missed a day's worth of posts, and didn't feel like backtracking.

Next time, I'll be a good, arduous boy!

New games force an install to new firmware from the disk! (as well as the interweb)

e.g. metroid 3

http://gamesgadgets.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/wii-firmware-upgrade-to-version-220-with-metroid-prime-3-disc/

Nintendo have Datel by the balls

If you have not upgraded your Wii firmware to the latest version from the internet, inserting Metriod Prime 3: Corruption disc into your Wii will prompt a system update. Agreeing to the system update, the disc will upgrade your Wii firmware to version 2.20. I don’t know what are the enhancements from the previous version as I am still at Version 1.80 prior to this 2.0 upgrade.

Please note that refusing to perform a system upgrade will kick you back out to the Wii menu. You will need the system upgrade if you plan to play Metroid Prime 3.

Sorry dude :) Followed the thread in its early stages, but missed a day's worth of posts, and didn't feel like backtracking.

Next time, I'll be a good, arduous boy!

Thatta boy. Though I would of the done the same if I were in your shoes :heh:

New games force an install to new firmware from the disk! (as well as the interweb)

e.g. metroid 3

http://gamesgadgets.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/wii-firmware-upgrade-to-version-220-with-metroid-prime-3-disc/

Umm this has already been discussed and instead of doing what you do, you should investigate when making a point. Nintendo don't have Datel by the balls in the slightest. If they do try to block it, it's gonna be very hard for them and if they had that big of a problem with Freeloader then they would of blocked the GC version.

As for your 'statement', accoding to Datel they said you can bypass this via the Freeloader disc so you don't have to update it. And there's nothing stopping you from not downloading new firmware updates that Nintendo send.

Umm this has already been discussed and instead of doing what you do, you should investigate when making a point. Nintendo don't have Datel by the balls in the slightest. If they do try to block it, it's gonna be very hard for them and if they had that big of a problem with Freeloader then they would of blocked the GC version.

As for your 'statement', accoding to Datel they said you can bypass this via the Freeloader disc so you don't have to update it. And there's nothing stopping you from not downloading new firmware updates that Nintendo send.

Datel may think they have it sorted for now but none of us know if nintendo are gonna combat this. Datel themselves can't predict the future. Freeloader Wii could work for Wii's lifetime or could last 6 months.

Yea I know that and part of me is expecting it to happen though I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo didn't bother with this either.

If Nintendo do combat it and people update their Wiis whether it be in games or having it sent to you, Datel might just end up combating what Nintendo done aswell.

I for one won't be updating my Wii in a long time because I have no reason to.

I for one won't be updating my Wii in a long time because I have no reason to.

My point is that nintendo could release SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 or PIKMIN WII or Wii Sport 2 or EVEN ZELDA WII... and force you to update from disc. The choice is either to allow the update and kill your freeloader or not play the latest games. Same deal as the PSP I think. This killing spree could even come with EU Brawl release.

(They could not do this for the GC becasue they could not update the firmware from disc.)...

Regarding earlier comment, I am not sure where this was discussed before but take your word for it.

My point is that nintendo could release SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 or PIKMIN WII or Wii Sport 2 or EVEN ZELDA WII... and force you to update from disc. The choice is either to allow the update and kill your freeloader or not play the latest games. Same deal as the PSP I think.

(They could not do this for the GC becasue they could not update the firmware from disc.)...

Regarding earlier comment, I am not sure where this was discussed before but take your word for it.

If people didn't buy those games from America and they waited for the PAL release, just do what you do with NTSC games and use the Freeloader then aswell to bypass it or hold of and see if it will block the Freeloader or not.

Though people migh update cause it might be troublesome using the Freeloader for PAL games aswell. Or if Datel makes a way to undo or another way to use Freeloader, it would be cool if you could download the data onto an SD Card and use it from there instead of using replacement discs.

My point is that nintendo could release SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 or PIKMIN WII or Wii Sport 2 or EVEN ZELDA WII... and force you to update from disc. The choice is either to allow the update and kill your freeloader or not play the latest games. Same deal as the PSP I think. This killing spree could even come with EU Brawl release.

They could upgrade the firmware when making new GCs. But they didn't.

This is a mountain.

This is a molehill.

Stop making one out of the other.

Edit; Also, someone on NeoGAF emailed codejunkies and was told this was shipping March 4th. Dunno if thats reliable info, but there you go.

How could Datel even think about releasing a FreeLoader when it does something like this? Obviously, they've fixed this problem and they will have made it work. There are applications that can break the firmware out of a Wii ISO as it has a fixed position on each disk. It wouldn't be hard to program the Wii FreeLoader so that it doesn't read that specific area and just runs the game.

Also, the reason why Nintendo didn't block the FreeLoader for a long time is because it runs some code to boot it up that was used in Crazy Taxi (like pedro said). If they would've blocked it, then they would've rendered Crazy Taxi useless, which would probably piss off Sega and people wanting to play that horrible game.

That update thing isn't that big of an issue actually. Sometimes the US get a firmware update with a new game but it's only a matter of days or weeks before we get it as well. So update the Wii over the Internet, put the imported game in and let it do the update check. It will give you a message that no update needs to be made (or something like that) and you can play it.

What updates mean for the Freeloader though, I don't know but actually Nintendo shouldn't be too pissed about it because after all people still buy the games then unlike with modchips and I think quite a few people actually get one of those to play other region games.

That update thing isn't that big of an issue actually. Sometimes the US get a firmware update with a new game but it's only a matter of days or weeks before we get it as well. So update the Wii over the Internet, put the imported game in and let it do the update check. It will give you a message that no update needs to be made (or something like that) and you can play it.

What updates mean for the Freeloader though, I don't know but actually Nintendo shouldn't be too pissed about it because after all people still buy the games then unlike with modchips and I think quite a few people actually get one of those to play other region games.

Nintendo can be funny or Nintendo Europe for that matter. Was pretty pathetic when they went after most shops/sites selling US/Japanese Gamecube/Gameboy games.

Nintendo can be funny or Nintendo Europe for that matter. Was pretty pathetic when they went after mopt shops/sites selling US/Japanese Gamecube/Gameboy games.

This is what i'm worried about, will they now go on a shut-down import site rampage?!

I seem to remember Sony shutting down Lik-Sang in the past. Wouldn't put it past Nintendo to rape Play Asia.

Sony Europe's actions have already stopped Play-Asia selling PS3/PSP Software/Hardware to the EU. Will be interesting to see if NOE do the same.

Might be a bit OT, but can anyone tell me the reason console games are region-locked unlike PC games or handheld games?

Part of the region is that PC monitors and handheld screens have no PAL/NTSC thingie.

That and it updates channels like The Weather Channel, News Channel, etc...

Meaning, if it doesn't find the right version it will install them again and you'll be left with duplicates that can't be erased, unless you format your Wii.

Are you sure about that...

e.g. metroid 3

Yeah I remember a few games did...

Nintendo do have them by the balls, its their hardware they will find a way to block it. Whether its via updates or whatever... Of course Datel are going to be bullish about the future proof of their device. But are people seriously not going to update if say you need to for Wiiware, just so they can play SSBB a few months early... Wonder how saves will work because with cube you had to have seperate memory cards for different regions.

I have US and Eu saves on the same memory card for the Cube. I can't really get WiiWare cause I barely have space for it, and I don't think Nintendo will have a 'solution' by then.

They hardly have them by the balls. Datel are avoiding the updates as much as Nintendo are with a good online system and a Hard Drive. They've made it easy to avoid and if Nintendo attempt to stop it, it's not gonna be all that easy.

I doubt Nintendo are even gonna do anything about this anyway. They never did with the GC and whoever says 'Noo the Freeloader got blocked' it was deliberate, it was an accident and if they wanted to, they could of tried to tackle it.

Someone called codejunkies and he has some very good news.

Source: http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6978&start=125

It looks a bit messy because the quote tags are all screwed up.

ATTENTION EVERYONE

I have actually had a LONG conversation with one of the codejunkies technical experts over the phone yesterday, when I ordered freeloader (the phone call at their expense - they called me back!)

This is what freeloader does, confirmed by codejunkies staff, who actually investigated my questions when I asked about it, TESTED it, and then called me back:

• WII FREELOADER IGNORES ALL REGION-CODING.

• WII FREELOADER IGNORES ALL WII UPDATES ON A WII GAME DISK (INCLUDING SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL).

• WII FREELOADER IGNORES THE NECESSITY OF CHECKING FOR GAME UPDATES; THUS ALLOWING THE GAME FILES TO BE PLAYED SAFELY WITHOUT ANY RISK OF BRICKING YOUR WII CONSOLE.

• CODEJUNKIES STAFF HAVE CONFIRMED TO ME, BY PHONE, THAT IF A WII FIRMWARE UPDATE SOMEHOW BLOCKS THE WII FREELOADER, THEY WILL SEND YOU AN UPDATED WII FREELOADER FREE OF CHARGE WHEN ONE IS CREATED, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE PROOF OF PURCHASE OF YOUR ORIGINAL COPY OF WII FREELOADER.

Hope this helps everyone!

MESSAGE RESPONSES

link2u wrote:

ok i really need this question answered i have the latest update for the wii will freeloader work do you think ?

Yes, it will.

Shortay wrote:

But surely Nintendo wouldn't actually break someone's Wii just because they used a freeloader? It's not like it's illegal or anything... yet.

They can legally block modchips in europe, but I do not believe they can legally block software (a.k.a. freeloader discs)

lyingthroughyour wrote:

Sounds good, but until someone updates their wii and confirms that their wii and freeloader survived the update it just sounds too risky.

Codejunkies has confirmed it's completely safe because wii freeloade loads the game file, ignoring all updates on a game disk.

LordYoshiman wrote:

If it DOES bypass the updates, Nintendo could change the format of some games in the near future making them unplayable even with a Freeloader (they did so in the SNES era with Super Mario RPG by making it unplayable using region-changing devices). So you would be spending over £50 on one game.

It bypasses all updates and plays the raw game file safely, with the wifi and everything safe - this has been confirmed 100% by codejunkies to me.

superh wrote:

Brawl will come with an update just like metroid prime 3 and super mario galaxy. It will not work

Yes, it comes with an update, but use of the wii freeloader allows that update to be ignored.

Peppyman wrote:

So moving swiftly on....I've gone ahead and order the freeloader and smash bros. After reading all the pages of this thread I'm very skeptical about what will happen once I run the freeloader.

You have every right to be skeptical, but it is unneeded, as codejunkies hae tested the Freeloader with a japanese version (with update on disk) with BOTH european, and american consoles.

This is definitely good news. we knew they wouldn't let nintendo block them so easily, and I like the replacement disk idea (as i have now ordered one)

The question still stands though - will brawl go online through a PAL wii.

I phoned first thing yesterday (29th Feb.) morning. By using wii freeloader, they have used a japanese version to go online through BOTH american AND european wii consoles. I made sure to ask this and other VERY specific questions, to make sure I am right when I announced what I'm announcing now.

Now that all of the possible "problems" (or at least the ones I can think of) have been confirmed false, I'm getting really hyped about being able to play Smash Bros very, very soon.

Edit: Actually, they might still delay release. Apart from that though! :p