N-Europe

Oscars

Oxigen_Waste

Here's the list and my two bits:

Best Motion Picture Of The Year - No Country For Old Men

Finally, the Coens got their deserved credit. Personally, I preffered There Will Be Blood, but they're both equally magnificient, so... yeah, well done, no problems here, I agree.

Best Achievement In Directing - Ethan Coen, Joel Coen for No Country For Old Men

Same as above... Paul Thomas Anderson deserved just as much as they did, but it's pretty darn fair that the Coens got it.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role - Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood

This was a given. Had it been any different and I'd have to shoot someone.

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen Winner - Juno - Diablo Cody

It was either Juno or Michael Clayton... but Diablo deserved it. To all you Juno haters (that includes you, killthenet), come on... the script is great, don't deny it just because it's "not your thing". Rightfully awarded.

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year - Die Fälscher

What the fuck??? 12 should've won, no questions asked... this isn't even any good! God damnit... 12 is great, this is just wrong.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role - Marion Cotillard for La Môme

Yes, Ellen Page deserved the oscar... but if you've seen La Môme, you'll know this was a fair choice... Cotillard deserved it just as much, if not more.

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published - No Country For Old Men

Hmm... honestly, this one belongs with There Will Be Blood[/b].

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role - Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton

Yes, yes... Tilda Swinton was great! But Saoirse Ronan was much better, in Atonement! God damn it!

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role - Javier Bardem for No Country For Old Men

As with best actor... this one was a given. Bardem was a god in NCFOM.

Best Animated Feature Film Of The Year - Ratatouille - Brad Bird

I'm a bit sad, because Persepolis had so much more soul... but I guess there's no denying Ratatouille's greatness.

Overall: Me thinks it was fine... this time around.

I agree with most of the award, but you're right "12" and "Persepolis" deserved to win instead, and "King Of Kong" surely should have been up for Best Documentary. I was a little bitter than "There Will Be Blood" didn't win Best Picture, or Director but I have no problems with "No Country" winning, it was a great film after all. As the nominees were read out for Best Actor I thought for a second they may have given it to Viggo, just to shake things up a bit, but Daniel Day was far too good for anyone to deny him it.

Biggest problem is that Jonny Greenwood was notoriously robbed of the Best Score award, just because it had some Brahms and stuff from "Popcorn Superhet...". Fucking academy.

Still, they chose well on the whole, best one for quite a while.

EDIT: And one more thing, how exactly did Ellen Page deserve it? She was good, but there wasn't that much depth to her performance. Best Actress was certainly lacking this year.

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published - No Country For Old Men

Hmm... honestly, this one belongs with There Will Be Blood[/b].

Well perhaps the fact that the adaptation of NCFOM fixed some of the faults with the book-version's story maybe helped it out? I've just heard that. Not read the books nor seen the film of either version :P

I think I saw a clip of the oscars on youtube early this morning... Day-Lewis dedicated his oscar to Heath Ledger did he not?

Well, I guessed all of the competitive oscar winners correctly. I fucked up on the techncals. I don't know how the fuck The Golden Compass got visual effects, but still.

Glad that No Country won BP, my favourite of the nominees, though I did love There Will Be Blood.

I'm still pissed Zodiac didn't even get a nomination. Not even Original Screenplay.

EDIT: Out of interest, how are people seeing '12'? I really want to see it, but don't think it's even going to get a release.

I saw No Country For Old Men when it came out and was blown away by it. One of the best films I've seen in my life.

EDIT: And yeah not many Cinemas in the UK gave it much time. The cinema near me didn't show it for a few weeks then had one showing a night for a week. And that was it.

Guess I didn't notice due to being the bubble that is London, it's been on at the cinema near me since it came out.

Also the reason "Bourne" didn't win any of the bigger awards is that there were a lot of serious "art" films out in the last 12 months, which tend to be more well regarded than films that are purely entertainment based. Which is why "Star Wars" lost out to "Annie Hall" in 78'.

The Juno script was overwritten. It lacked skill. If Superbad/Knocked Up weren't half-improv they'd be better scripts.

Good for Brad Bird, that was my feeling when I saw the news. Good for Pixar.

And Ellen Page does not deserve an Oscar.

Overall pretty good. I'm happy Juno won best screenplay, it was rightfully deserved. No country for old men was a good choice for best film too. I'd have liked Ellen to have won Best Actress, but it doesn't really matter because she's obviously going to win it at some point.

And Cube, I don't think there's any point in comparing the films nominated for best film etc to Ultimatum, because it will be beaten by all of them hands down. It's a good movie, but nowhere near as good as the movies that won (imo).

Overall pretty good. I'm happy Juno won best screenplay, it was rightfully deserved. No country for old men was a good choice for best film too. I'd have liked Ellen to have won Best Actress, but it doesn't really matter because she's obviously going to win it at some point.

And Cube, I don't think there's any point in comparing the films nominated for best film etc to Ultimatum, because it will be beaten by all of them hands down. It's a good movie, but nowhere near as good as the movies that won (imo).

Actually, it's quite good, better than Michael Clayton, it just doesn't fit the oscar profile at all. If you ask me, it's probably the best action & espionage movie of the last 5 years.

I was watching the highlights on Sky One and found myself slightly offended by their editing.

At the award for Best Song, won by "Falling Slowing" from "Once" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, when they got their award Glen (who is Irish) said a line in Irish "Go raibh míle maith agut" (A thousand thank yous) and Sky One edited this line out....WHY?

I was watching the highlights on Sky One and found myself slightly offended by their editing.

At the award for Best Song, won by "Falling Slowing" from "Once" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, when they got their award Glen (who is Irish) said a line in Irish "Go raibh míle maith agut" (A thousand thank yous) and Sky One edited this line out....WHY?

Because they're not Irish??