NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Your favourite.... Musical!

Yes, this is probably the gayest thread created here by a straight member but I really couldn't care less because:

a) I'm not gay

b) Musicals are awesome

c) I've had a few drinks

So without further ado, mine has to be Hairspray. I saw it at the beginning of January when I was down in London and absolutely loved it! Probably my best night of the year so far (and I've had some pretty wild nights)! The music is so upbeat and cheerful, the acting was great and the sets were incredible. It's seriously 10x better (at least) than the film (and that's saying something since I love the film).

I've also seen Joseph (twice) at the theatre, Wicked and Jesus Christ Superstar all of which are amazing! Musical's are so much fun and I would honestly recommend them to anyone. And if you're looking for an excuse so you don't appear homosexual, take a girl with you because girls love them!

If you ever get the chance to go and see one... go! You can get really good deals on tickets if you look hard enough. Next time I go down to London (hopefully this summer for the meetup!) I'll be dragginge everyone along to: Hairspray (again), Mamma Mia, Grease, We Will Rock You amongst others!

Sooo.... What's your favourite? :heh:

Joseph, hands down, Although i'm seeing Le Mes soon, so it could change =]

I used to think that, but then I saw Hairspray and just :wow: . Seriously amazing! :yay:

Whats Wicked like? been wanting to look into it =]

It was seriously amazing too! It was very different to anything I've seen before. It was much darker than Hairspray (we saw Hairspray one night then Wicked the night after) and the music was very different. It's the story of the Witches of Oz, about how they came to be the Wicked Witch of the West etc. Well worth going to see, although if you can only afford one I'd choose Hairspray every single time. Wicked does get the award for the only one to give me goosebumps, during the song "Defying Gravity", Kerry Ellis has an incredibly powerful voice.

Filmwise its the Nightmare Before Christmas.

Otherwise its the Queen musical cos thats the only one I've seen. And I saw that in Spain, hardcore.

I probably wouldn't have even thought you were gay if you hadn't mentioned it...

Damn straight guys!

:p

I like Joseph the best, and I don't even like it that much.

Best musical I have ever seen is Les Misérables on Broadway. It was incredible.

I've since countless musicals, been in feckin loads too.

Whatever...GAYS.

Not seen alot of musicals(well, I've seen filmn version musicals actually, and grease, joseph, starlight express and cats as a kid, but I don't really remember them). I also seen We Will Rock You, though it was good enough, I didn't like it cos it was basically a poor excuse for showcasing Queen songs imo. Anyway, I'm gonna take up championing an underdog, but it's one of the best things I've ever seen, maybe cos it's more down to earth than most of the others, and whilst I've only seen it twice(one with Anthony Costa in lead) I'd glady see it it again.

So my vote goes to the most excellente Blood Brothers by Willy Russell, and I think you should all go see it if you get the chance!

It was seriously amazing too! It was very different to anything I've seen before. It was much darker than Hairspray (we saw Hairspray one night then Wicked the night after) and the music was very different. It's the story of the Witches of Oz, about how they came to be the Wicked Witch of the West etc. Well worth going to see, although if you can only afford one I'd choose Hairspray every single time. Wicked does get the award for the only one to give me goosebumps, during the song "Defying Gravity", Kerry Ellis has an incredibly powerful voice.

QFT, but wicked is much better than Hairspray IMO. My mate cried during Defying Gravity. Kerry Ellis is, in my opinion, even better than Idena Mezel-lady woman- who payed the original Elphaba in the Broadway show and won a Tony for it.

Wicked is fucking amazing though, saw it saturday night and i want to see it again. Cost me £55 to see it, and i'll gladly pay it again.

The first person to say "High School Musical" in this thread will be brutally beaten with a Austrian Salami.

Domstercool's entry = win, for it's the only musical mentioned (besides blood brothers) which I'd actually like to see.

I hate musicals. I don't 'get' the whole point of singing. The song takes up 5 minutes. The film could be covered in a quarter of the time (looks at Sweeny Todd) and I wouldn't be bored.

What is it that you (anyone) like about them?

Domstercool's entry = win, for it's the only musical mentioned (besides blood brothers) which I'd actually like to see.

I hate musicals. I don't 'get' the whole point of singing. The song takes up 5 minutes. The film could be covered in a quarter of the time (looks at Sweeny Todd) and I wouldn't be bored.

Music is a very basic way of communication and it's use to tell a narrative is very powerful to most people. Much like how after a break up, people find it soothing to listen to depressing songs to make them feel like other people have felt like they have, musicals help us share in the emotions of the characters on stage and screen.

Plus the fact that some of the songs simply rock as songs, irrespective of any story elements.

little shop of horrors appeals to my flaming homosexual side.

:blank:

*grin*

also! the part of my brain that's still an avid puppeteer, and (for the film version~) the part of my brain that's a little bit in love with bill murray. *nods*

Blood Brothers was pretty awesome, even though it was a musical. (Juuuust like Marilyyyynnnn Monnnrooooe....)

But to be honest, I really do not know. This post is pointless. :woops:

Not seen any on broadway or whatever but as far as films...Some Like It Hot (if you wish to classify it as musical) is a classic. As is Singing in the Rain.

And of course, Reefer Madness because it has Kristen Bell in spandex.

High School Musical!!!

(you tempted me with salami :p)

You wouldn't be able to eat it. You'll just be beaten into a bloody pulp of human flesh. Sounds tempting now? :yay:

You wouldn't be able to eat it. You'll just be beaten into a bloody pulp of human flesh. Sounds tempting now? :yay:

You clearly don't know how kinky i can be . . .

Sign in to follow this