N-Europe

Your favourite.... Musical!

Charlie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Music is a very basic way of communication and it's use to tell a narrative is very powerful to most people. Much like how after a break up, people find it soothing to listen to depressing songs to make them feel like other people have felt like they have, musicals help us share in the emotions of the characters on stage and screen.

Plus the fact that some of the songs simply rock as songs, irrespective of any story elements.

Ah, ok, it's a sympathetic thing. Ok, I can understand the appeal :) Just in movies (particularly movies) I like my emotions to be toyed with by other aspects of the narrative, and I just find the singing too exaggerated.

With sweeny todd the songs felt... well not like songs. I was just thinking "well they should either have a kick-ass song or just say what they mean, as singing just bamboozles me".

I honestly feel like I'm just missing out on a huge chunk of cinema :/

Ah, ok, it's a sympathetic thing. Ok, I can understand the appeal :) Just in movies (particularly movies) I like my emotions to be toyed with by other aspects of the narrative, and I just find the singing too exaggerated.

With sweeny todd the songs felt... well not like songs. I was just thinking "well they should either have a kick-ass song or just say what they mean, as singing just bamboozles me".

I honestly feel like I'm just missing out on a huge chunk of cinema :/

Indeed you are as it's a very popular method of telling a story for the reasons i've said above/first page thingy.

Maybe your tastes will change or something. But most people grew up with musicals so maybe thats why most people enjoy them.

Personally i love the fact that there's a couple of good musical films released every year. Keeps things fun.

I want a film version of Miss Saigon and Wicked though soon ^_^

'Did you ever hear the story, of the Johnstone Twins, as like each other as two new pins, of one womb born, on the self same day, how one was kept, and one given away? And did you never hear, how the Johnstones died, never knowing they shared one name, until the day they died, when a mother cried, my own dear sons lie slain. And did you never hear of a mother so cruel, there's a stone in place of her heart, then bring her on, and come, judge for youselves, how she came to play her part...'

^ In a liverpudlian accent.

One reason I like blood brothers is the songs don't feel too forced, they're just story in good song form, and it's all just fantastic. However, I started writing this post about an hour ago, and am now majorly sad because I stopped to find my BB soundtrack CD and I can't. I may be incredibly gay, does anyone out there have a copy of it?

EDIT:So I found it, was pretty much right underneath my motherfucking laptop, and I chose to look absolutely everywhere else instead. I should really write a label on it too.

1167386486-south_park_bigger_longer_and_uncut.jpg

End of thread. :)

What would Brian Boitano do if he were here right now?

The first person to say "High School Musical" in this thread will be brutally beaten with a Austrian Salami.

It's acutally pretty good, but again, make sure you have a girl with you. I got given tickets to see it when it comes to Glasgow in Agustu.... but I'm goigng with a girl. :grin:

That's true, they do. If the lyrics were transformed into dialogue the audience would feel cheated because the dialogue would be so flat and obvious, simple describing a characters personality or current state of mind. The music provides a much needed spectacle that allows for the director to put across a lot of information without destroying the audiences trust. In short, the music - strangley enough - masks the creative process.

Perhaps it is this spectacle element that I don't feel connected to. The obvious nature of it, and the blatant emotion that it is trying to convey just doesn't cut it for me. I mean, do any of the songs make you swing from one emotion to another, or are they just an extended metaphor for a single feeling? Sure, it's awesome that you can sustain a feeling for teh 5-minutes the song/dance lasts... but I always end up thinking "but couldn't they have done way more with 5 minutes of other cinema trickery?"

As I said before, I really, really believe I'm just missing the point. I sit and listen to the songs in musicals and just think "crap, I'm not approaching this correctly". I'm not quite sure how the music masks the creative process -- in this context we treat masking as some sort of bad thing - it appears to be a negative element in my eyes.

Of course, films like Grease would simply not be Grease if it wasn't a musical - I can understant that, but I can't understand why that's the case.

I don't know. It's just that nobody breaks into sing-and-dance in real life. I don't know why I can't get past that. A piece of music is just so manufactured, so.. created and I can't get past the intention, the way it's utterly non-ambiguous. You can't interpret musicals more than one way... or at least that's my own interpretation :P

Speaking of the musicals I listed though. "Singing In The Rain" is just highly enjoyable stuff, "South Park" uses the songs simply to satarise musicals, in "Dancer In The Dark" they're meant to be seen as fantasy, part of the characters imagination as she wishes that she were able to sing for a living. Finally in "Hedwig" the songs work on a realistic level because they're songs written by the main character and appear - for the most part - as an integral part of her bands live shows, as well as telling more story and giving us a further insight into her personality and why she is who "she" is.

Most musicals are escapist by their very nature which is why audiences tend to flock to them, most of them don't have a real point and are just made for pure entertainment. If you haven't seen "Dancer In The Dark" or "Hedwig & The Angry Inch" I would advise you to. They're 2 fantastic musicals that also say something insightful about the world and human beings.

I will indeed put them on my list :) I like the idea of the musical element being used with full knowledge of their potential for fantastical persuasion, and I think I would very much be able to enjoy that sort of film.

I'm all for escapism, but it needs to be plausible enough for me to indulge myself... or at least to some degree. I think musicals like the blues brothers (not sure if it was mentioned? I know blood brothers was..) and little pet shop of horrors appeal slightly more because they appear to be approaching the genre in a way that isn't... well, sort of 'innocent' or indeed naive. The music I appreciate is through intensity, not mundanity (if that's even a word) or generalisations.

I like the sound of "Hedwig~", and indeed I'd heard nothing of it before. We're working on discovering a decent rental shop, and that will be one of the first on the list :)

When I go and watch a musical I go and accept pretty much whatever the film throws at me because that is what it is, simple sheer entertainment.

When I go to watch a serious, totally 'realistic' hollywood film for example, I can't help but notice and analyse the film and pick out all the mistakes they make.