NEurope
Stocka

The GC Graphics Appreciation Thread

The only thing that bothered me was that just about everything had eyes on them. So many eyes, so many, many eyes...

Reminds me of a certain forum user, n_n

Anyway, I have to say I found Ikaruga's graphical style most awesome:

ikaruga.thumb.jpg

Reminds me of a certain forum user, n_n

n_n no offence taken u_u

Rouge Squadran III: Rebel Strike

rebel_strike8.jpg

gcn-rebelstrike-screens-15.jpg

When I was playing this I couldn't believe my eyes, such a tiny console running visuals that would cripple the latest PC's at that time.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-2.jpg

914433_20040206_screen001.jpg

Same here. :p

Aww crap! All this graphical goodness is making me hungry for these games again n_n so much to play so little time...

Viewtiful Joe

2D? Yes Beautiful? Undoubtedly. The cel shaded design in the first one blew me away when I first booted it up. There is so much going on around you that you fail to notice the beauty of the backdrops; here is my fave area.

vjgcn_091203_%20(4).jpg

Anyway, I have to say I found Ikaruga's graphical style most awesome

Can I post a (bigger/better) pic of Ikaruga? I'm glad someone else appreciates the graphics on this...the screenshots don't do it much justice, though. It needs to be seen in motion.

ickyruga_031003_gcn_03.jpg

I'll also have to add one from Pikmin 2:

8a063298-2d25-4027-9cf7-8e3b5e9438ba.jpg

Sadly I can't find a screenshot that shows this (or the last) level in all it's glory :[

Super Mario Sunshine was another stunner. The lights, the colours, the giant geleatinous enemies and splats of paint evrywhere. It is the visual equivelant of a family-size packet of Skittles. Mmmmmmm...

super_mario_sunshine.jpg

couche_de_soleil.jpg

08.jpg

Eternal Darkness gets my vote. Solid graphics throughout, but some amazing artwork and design makes some of the areas just truely stunning...not posting my fave screenies as I don't want to give away one of the biggest revelations:

The city underneath the mansion is stunning throughout, especially when you are up on those towers in the final fight!!!

002.jpg

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life

harvestmoonawon_scrn11439.jpg

Awesome detailed visuals which are different every season. I can't find any rain or snow pictures, but they are awesome.

In those certain cases the "best" graphic also equals in superb gameplay. Or did I miss a screenshot of a boring game with excellent graphics?

I just hope that Nintendo continues like that - visually stunning games which don't let you stop playing!

In those certain cases the "best" graphic also equals in superb gameplay. Or did I miss a screenshot of a boring game with excellent graphics?

I just hope that Nintendo continues like that - visually stunning games which don't let you stop playing!

Starfox Adventures was crud...but it sure looked pretty :D

Starfox Adventures was crud...but it sure looked pretty :D

What was wrong with Starfox? Just because it wasn't how it usualy was.

metroid_screen012.jpg

Phendrana Drifts from Metroid Prime. Omfg.

But then when you actually played that part of the game, if was like heroin. The music, the feeling lost feeling. Everything about Phendrana drifts was sooo good, and Metroid Prime in general.

I also have to say

starfox_screen019.jpg

This part of the game, but also, the start of Starfox Adventures. Omfg.

EDIT:

Starfox Adventures was crud...but it sure looked pretty

I'll just have you know Starfox Adventures is in my top 5 Gamecube games. I loved it, even though it was linear etc etc.. It was still amazing to play.

Shark.jpg

I thought Resident Evil would have been one of the first games posted. Pre-rendered, I know, but 'Remake' made my jaw hit the floor on several occasions. And no, I still haven't played Resident Evil 4.

Give me time.

Starfox Adventuares was dull because it felt very linear, the fighting was dull, the puzzles were inane, and the story pretty much non existent. But it looked amazing...it's only plus.

Starfox Adventures wasn't TERRIBLE, but it definitly was a dissapointment. I honestly wouldn't mind if someone tried again...

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102543610.jpg

metroid-prime-2-echoes-20041021102550359.jpg

Sanctuary Fortress in Prime2... so f****** beautiful. Every thing its alive, every wall has something going on.

Also, Quadraxis is the coolest boss there is.

Thanks for the contributions everyone, keep them coming! :smile:

I agree with gaggle64 about Super Mario Sunshine being beautiful. Here is one of my favourite parts visually, its jaw dropping:

mariosunshine_062102_1.jpg

Argh that game is so delicious for my eyes, look at it!

mariosunshine_072202_25.jpg

I think all the Resident Evils deserve special mention, but if it came down to moody lighting alone, Resi 0 would come out way on top.

03.jpg

005409329.jpg

2.jpg

My favourite screenshot from any game this generation... is too difficult to find. But it's when you're in the water in Metroid Prime and you see the reflection of Samus' face on her visor.

Awesome.

Tales of Symphonia was not only the first proper RPG I played through, but remains rose-tinted to hell and one of my favourite games of this generation, possibly ever. The graphic style was perfectly suited to the game, and the battle system just futher improves on an already excellent foundation to build quite the dainty little house.

tofsgc760.jpg

Somewhat blurred, but the level of detail was great everywhere. Everything about this game was just pretty.

Super Mario Sunshine always comes to my mind when I think of Gamecube graphics.

The rich and vibrant colours are simply wonderful, as are the various effects - such as the reflections and the heat haze. But it's the water, particularly when you're out at sea, that impresses me the most. It's difficult to fully appreciate in a static screenshot...

mariosun003.jpg

...but the way it moves, and the way the light shimmers as it undulates, it just looks so... inviting, like the clean and clear waters surrounding a typical tropical location in the real world. Beautiful! :smile:

Baten Kaitos. Okay, the story was pretty bad, and the characters and voices were terrible, but you can't fault the battle system. Needless to say, it's one of the prettiest games ever. The pre-rendered backgrounds are teeming with detail and animation - the game world truly comes alive.

Beautiful.

bk.jpg