Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Best scores for publishers?

mcj metroid

publishers.jpg

wasn't really sure how to word this thread but here it is..

taken from kotaku:

picking through the bones of EA's analyst presentations from earlier this week, I found this handy little chart. It's innocent enough at first glance - it comes amidst a bunch of other, boring charts - but this one's a little more fun. It shows what each major publisher's average review score on Metacritic for 2007 was. What a handy reference point! Thanks EA. As you'd expect, Nintendo and Sony's first-party offerings top the list, while at the other end...you can see the net result of Ubisoft's fascination with shovelware and Nintendo consoles. As for Atari, well...the chart starts all the way up at 60%, so...yeah.

I'm not sure how reliable this is but i think it's fairly realistic.. We all know Eas games have been quality mostly lately,Ubisoft have hit rock bottom and that nintendo produce the best..

This is quite interesting and the kind of thing we've been looking at a lot lately. Its worth separating out the consoles and seeing the kind of quality publishers are putting out on each of the current generation of machines. I have all the metacritic scores stored at work and think I may have a good look into it this week. I'm sure some interesting results will come from it.

And I am quite sure that those results will vary greatly when compared to this 'hyperbole' that EA are bullshitting us with.

Do you know they're actually pretty accurate. There are some discrepancies with this data and what I have but its small enough that I would put it down to the data being taken on different dates and maybe slightely different releases available. Comparing the amount of games they've put out to what other publishers have managed I think they've done rather well really. I certainly wouldn't see a reason to dismiss the data they've quoted.

Wait a second, what reviews are these that they are using.

They're using metacritic average review scores.

I'd imagine this was financial year as I believe that this research was done to tie in with that. Nintendo won't just have been pulled down by Wii Play, along with the quality stuff Nintendo do make, and publish for other people, a lot of crap, or at least things (Brain Training, DS mini game types) that don't review particuarly well.

I'd imagine this was financial year as I believe that this research was done to tie in with that. Nintendo won't just have been pulled down by Wii Play' date=' along with the quality stuff Nintendo do make, and publish for other people, a lot of crap, or at least things (Brain Training, DS mini game types) that don't review particuarly well.[/quote']

When does 2007 financial year finish? Isn't it April this year? Or is that when 2008 financial year ends, grr sure glad I'm not an accountant all this financial year malarkey does my head in.

EDIT:- Just had look on Wiki, American FY08 started in october 07. Grr no wonder I was confused, with different countries having different finanical years. So FY07 would of gone from Oct06-Sept07.

Nice to see Ubisoft where they belong. Personally I'm not surprised that EA has such a good rating, their game may not be my cup of tea but most are polished and well tested games that are at the very least solid titles. Why the hate - direct it where it belongs: UBISOFT!

But they made Rayman

But they made Splinter Cell

But they made Assasins Creed

But they made Far Cry

But they made Red Ste.... oh wait

And yet they're still one of the top publishers on the machines. If cheap rubbish is what people are buying then unfortunately thats exactly what publishers are going to make.

Very true. But Cheap rubbish is what the people seem to want. Mass market now equals lots of gamers who want a quick blast now and then on party games and that's it. It has really paid off as Wii sales top 20 million in just iover a year and the PS3 is struggling to sell half that!