NEurope
Gaijin von Snikbah

Fatal Frame 4

It comes out in 3 weeks in Japan... with shit-all marketing from Nintendo.

Wow, I didn't know that you were in Japan.

Ah me sees, thanks for the link. I'll see what Bluey says, she might have seen advertising around but if Matt's right then that is TRULY rediculous.

Don't worry the best mareketing campaigns start just two weeks before. Any longer and people forget the ads!

I didn't know Matt Cashasalaska live in Japan either.
Seriously though... Does he know how prior Fatal Frame were publicized? and truth to be told did they sell that much in Japan?

I know the answer to the latter; they didn't sell that well in Japan (~70.000 units if I recall correctly?), US and Europe proved to be stronger markets for it.

And advertising before the game ships? I'm sure Famitsu will have quite the blowout after E3; still before the game ships.

There's loads of stuff on Fatal Frame 4 that don't get translated of hyped often outside Japan though, for example, the music that's gonna be sung by Amano Tsukiko is already out and known.

This is looking so good, why do nintendo not advertise anything not massmarket? It's so depressing......

It's a horror game, do you really think advertising will do anything? The ones who'll buy this are the series fans.

It doesn't hurt to let people know it's out there, and also show non fans that Wii games can look good too.

Advertising NEVER hurts.

It doesn't hurt to let people know it's out there, and also show non fans that Wii games can look good too.

Advertising NEVER hurts.

That's where you're wrong. Advertising costs huge piles of money, good companies make studies to see if advertising pays off, so they decide how much to invest or if they should invest at all.

Investing, and I'm throwing random numbers in the air here, 50 000$ in advertising to sell 20 more copies does next to nothing. Games on shelves for the common buyer and pictures in mags for the more "specialized" buyer is where it's at.

Advertising NEVER hurts.

I agree with you mate! This deserves to sell well, so it should be advertised..

Advertising NEVER hurts.

But it can be... Not profitable; specially before the game even launches. :p

This said... I'm sure Fatal Frame will grow as a franchise, just because it is on Wii actually, and I think Nintendo will know how to advertise it, at least outside of Japan.

More than advertising though (and I agree it helps) Wii is a market leader and yet we have Konami acting like dumb pricks regarding Silent Hill 5 for instance... what's stopping Fatal Frame from filling that void? Nothing and it will, if it gets as big as Silent Hill got last gen is to be seen though; just like I highly doubt SH5 can be as big as SH2 and 3 were back in the day. (times change)

But 20 more copies sold is 20 more copies sold :) It may not be profitable for this game, but games like this selling well on the Wii is more important than saving $50,000. It's not just about this game, it's about proving this type of game sells on the Wii, that nintendo are serious about games like this being on the Wii etc etc.

And if you have BIG money you can sell ANYTHING. Just ask MS :)

But 20 more copies sold is 20 more copies sold :) It may not be profitable for this game, but games like this selling well on the Wii is more important than saving $50,000. It's not just about this game, it's about proving this type of game sells on the Wii, that nintendo are serious about games like this being on the Wii etc etc.

And if you have BIG money you can sell ANYTHING. Just ask MS :)

20 copies is nothing. Gaming is a business, hell, even 100 copies is nothing. When deciding something like this, a dramatic shift in numbers is the only way to justify investment in advertising and I'm talking about titles that are targeted to a very specific audience.

Do you think when a publisher/dev is going to decide if they're gonna make Space Marine HD: Revenge on 360/PS3 or Wii, they look at sales and go "wow, game X sold 500 100 copies! I mean, look at game Y, it sold 500 000! This means that Space Marine HD will sell on Wii, lock an load!".

If you don't think saving $50 000 is important, keep doing that for games that wouldn't get significant increase in sales due to advertising.. Release 10 games. $500 000 invested in advertisment. That's half a million.

Now, if the conclusion that advertising is useless was reached, that's because it's probably a low profile game that had a small investment, meaning that if you made some profit by selling "a few" copies, which is what happens with a lot of Wii games (people say they bomb, because they don't sell millions, that's not true), that profit is gone because of the money wasted on advertising.

This is a business, pure and simple, advertising and marketing is very, very important, but things aren't straightforward, a lot of things have to be weighed. Take EA Sports on the Wii for example, the games can be targeted at virtually anyone of any age, it's a huge brand and Wii Sports is a huge success, that alone makes investment in marketing worth it.

I know this is Nintendo we're talking, they have piles and piles of money to invest, but not only is Tecmo part of the equation, there is a reason that Nintendo never dipped into the red zone and that's because they're fantastic at managing money.

And if you have BIG money you can sell ANYTHING. Just ask MS why X360 isn't selling :)
fixed for reality.

Yes you can fluke a bunch of money into stuff, but if the public doesn't want it... it won't sell, and it certainly won't be profitable, making it a bad investment. It's not like Nintendo doesn't care though, so I'm sure they'll have a good enough campaign when it hits, just like they have with every game they publish (hell, didn't they advertise Zack and Wiki in Europe? That was Nintendo, Capcom USA didn't).

Using Microsoft as an example... is just bad though. Microsoft is fluking money enough to get a big developer out of business 50 times in a row. And that would certainly with the lack of results award them a D grade in economics school or something.

For starters they're promising free money, something they can't sustain. (oh well, they can, but it's not money earned and they're not charity) then, since they do, won't developers expect it? This is a bad situation for them, when developers know they can demand money like that. And it's not in one thing (exclusives), Microsoft is even reported to pay in Xbox era so their games had a) extra content b) better graphics (and it's easy to see now, Wii is more powerful than PS2 is and still developers in a lot of ports don't take the time to improve the graphics, why would they for Xbox when the Xbox version would sell less? right.)

Long point made short... they're like a leaking pipe with money flowing all over; not a very effective organization that is; specially when they managed to loose in 5 years almost more than Sony did in 10 years with PS1 and PS2 (and this was declared money with losses per unit sold, who declares moneyhats and money given under the table?). They're certainly not an example. Neither can they with bucketloads of publicity make a) X360's sell in Japan b) their games sell in japan c) sell viva pinata anywhere d) sell more than the much more expensive PS3, let alone the Wii f) sell RPG's outside Japan in real quantities (and we could be here until tomorrow)... Now they can loose money, that they can; shame no company out there has any reason to join their surreal party of loosing money (unless they get paid to, but then they're winning something, unlike microsoft).

Fatal Frame will do just fine in US and PAL, that's where the real demographic for this game is. I mean... this game even goes for first person a lot of the time, and you know how Japanese are phobic towards that (yet it's Nintendo who is giving them bridge titles to increase interest in FPS's, as they classified Link's Crossbow Training as).

20 copies is nothing. Gaming is a business, hell, even 100 copies is nothing. When deciding something like this, a dramatic shift in numbers is the only way to justify investment in advertising and I'm talking about titles that are targeted to a very specific audience.

I'm sorry, I thought it was obvious that this 20 copies figure isn't a real figure. Actually advertising the game would obviously sell WAY more than an extra 20 copies in my opinion. I think all games should marketed and advertised sufficiently, this game LOOKS good, is part of a popular genre and something very unique on the Wii. All selling points. But no one knows about the game......

Surely Nintendo are rolling in money now, right? It wouldnt hurt to give games like this a push.

I wonder how they would advertise it on TV, as it wouldnt go with the family image that gets potrayed in the adverts over here in the UK. I cant seem Nicole Kidman signing on to this one :)

I'm sorry, I thought it was obvious that this 20 copies figure isn't a real figure. Actually advertising the game would obviously sell WAY more than an extra 20 copies in my opinion. I think all games should marketed and advertised sufficiently, this game LOOKS good, is part of a popular genre and something very unique on the Wii. All selling points. But no one knows about the game......

Way to ignore the rest of the post. If it isn't obvious that 20 and 100 were used for proportion sake, you need some Internet 101 (protip :"I'm throwing random numbers in the air here") :P

And yeah, totally popular game genre oO

Surely Nintendo are rolling in money now, right? It wouldnt hurt to give games like this a push.

I wonder how they would advertise it on TV, as it wouldnt go with the family image that gets potrayed in the adverts over here in the UK. I cant seem Nicole Kidman signing on to this one :)

They could hire the Most Haunted team for an ad campaign. "OH MY GOD DID YOU HEAR THAT?!" "WHAT WAS THAT?!?" "I FEEL A PRESENCE!" "

Oh Nicole Kidman could definitely be utilised in advertising for this. Her acting skills and a little Nintendo imagination can go a long long way... but the family image will have to be scrapped for this one.

They could hire the Most Haunted team for an ad campaign. "OH MY GOD DID YOU HEAR THAT?!" "WHAT WAS THAT?!?" "I FEEL A PRESENCE!" "

Lol, some American high-school actors could do quite a job too (cue something like... The Faculty)

fixed for reality.

Yes you can fluke a bunch of money into stuff, but if the public doesn't want it... it won't sell, and it certainly won't be profitable, making it a bad investment. It's not like Nintendo doesn't care though, so I'm sure they'll have a good enough campaign when it hits, just like they have with every game they publish (hell, didn't they advertise Zack and Wiki in Europe? That was Nintendo, Capcom USA didn't).

Using Microsoft as an example... is just bad though. Microsoft is fluking money enough to get a big developer out of business 50 times in a row. And that would certainly with the lack of results award them a D grade in economics school or something.

For starters they're promising free money, something they can't sustain. (oh well, they can, but it's not money earned and they're not charity) then, since they do, won't developers expect it? This is a bad situation for them, when developers know they can demand money like that. And it's not in one thing (exclusives), Microsoft is even reported to pay in Xbox era so their games had a) extra content b) better graphics (and it's easy to see now, Wii is more powerful than PS2 is and still developers in a lot of ports don't take the time to improve the graphics, why would they for Xbox when the Xbox version would sell less? right.)

Long point made short... they're like a leaking pipe with money flowing all over; not a very effective organization that is; specially when they managed to loose in 5 years almost more than Sony did in 10 years with PS1 and PS2 (and this was declared money with losses per unit sold, who declares moneyhats and money given under the table?). They're certainly not an example. Neither can they with bucketloads of publicity make a) X360's sell in Japan b) their games sell in japan c) sell viva pinata anywhere d) sell more than the much more expensive PS3, let alone the Wii f) sell RPG's outside Japan in real quantities (and we could be here until tomorrow)... Now they can loose money, that they can; shame no company out there has any reason to join their surreal party of loosing money (unless they get paid to, but then they're winning something, unlike microsoft)

They make exceedingly good cakes though.

(Yes, I summed up what you said with a Mr Kipling advert)

ignoring this im suggesting JUST buy the game. Why care if it's advertised.. I cant be the only person that feels good that were playing the classic games while some shithead plays carnival games. I don't care.. ILL ENJOY the games thank you:) it's THEIR loss.

im sick of this lack of advertising moaning. its GOING to happen here as well. dont think its limited to just japan.. Also most people seem to think good advertising means tv ads.....nope.

ignoring this im suggesting JUST buy the game. Why care if it's advertised.. I cant be the only person that feels good that were playing the classic games while some shithead plays carnival games. I don't care.. ILL ENJOY the games thank you:) it's THEIR loss.

im sick of this lack of advertising moaning. its GOING to happen here as well. dont think its limited to just japan.. Also most people seem to think good advertising means tv ads.....nope.

This.

People seem to care more about frivolous shit than playing the damn games.

This.

People seem to care more about frivolous shit than playing the damn games.

Yeah, your obviously right..like always.