N-Europe

Over 70 Weapons in MGS4+Footage

Hero-of-Time

Because it's metal gear solid, and all the other games were great? I mean, I don't have a PS3, wasn't a big fan of MGS2 and never even played 3, but c'mon, that was a silly question :heh:

True, and it's a big casual gamer series, too. I loved MGS: The Twin Snakes (the only one I've been able to play) but MGS4 just doesn't look anywhere near as good.

For me the MGS series is something of a gaming curio. There's an understanding between us that I'll buy it and enjoy it, but at the same time it will be more a brainstorm of ideas and ideals than a straight videogame. The series is crazy, ambitious, confusing, convoluted and, ultimately, flawed. In fact it's quite surprising that people are pegging it as mainstream, as if anything it purposefully circumvents the norm.

But I still love it.

Guest Jordan

I've played MGS1, TS, 2, Acid 1 and abit of Portable Ops.

I have to say, they've only improved with time and i wish i could play abit of 3. Stupid non back compat PS3 ¬_¬...

I look forward to 4, I wanna see how it plays out.

I've played MGS1, TS, 2, Acid 1 and abit of Portable Ops.

I have to say, they've only improved with time and i wish i could play abit of 3. Stupid non back compat PS3 ¬_¬...

I look forward to 4, I wanna see how it plays out.

MGS3 was easily my favourite, it's a must for anyone who enjoys the Metal Gear Solid series. Get the Subsistence version if you ever do get round to it; it's worth it just for the silly extra cinemas let alone the original Metal Gear games that come on one of the bonus CDs.

EDIT: Nearly forgot; the free camera which you can control with the right analogue stick is also a great bonus in it too.

Would that be yourself and....yourself?

I just think that it looks a complete mess gameplay-wise and plot-wise. Like it's trying to do way, way too many things at once.

And a lot of people think that MGS2 wasn't good.

But how can you even say MGS4 doesn't seem as good as TS...What do you base this on? MGS has only gotten better and better...Zelda on the other hand is a different story. ;)

But anyway back on topic...Out of those 70 weapons I'd probably end up using only 3 or 4. But if the environs in the game offer such diversity to use that amount then I'm all for it.

It in my eyes has the greatest ending of a game ever.

Silent Hill 2 pips it for me, I think. Or Portal, but the former is more comparable.

I really want to play Subsistence as I've only played vanilla Snake Eater, but whenever I've tried to track down a copy it's still kicking around the £30 mark. As I already own the game I'd rather put that towards, say, Zak and Wiki.

Oh, I also agree with King_V: there's no way I'll be using all 70 weapons. In fact I can pretty much guarantee I'll use the M9/MK22/MAZDAMX5 for 95% of the game. I think the weapon customisation will be one of those typically undernourished Metal Gear idiosyncrasies, much like the survival system in MGS3 or doing pull-ups in MGS2: never really required, but an interesting diversion all the same.

There is a reason these games have a following. Something to do with them being largely superb. Sure one or two games go wrong but each of these series are considered to be gaming staples since they deliver so much.

This next gen version seems pretty amazing. The videos demostrate mmuch improved action sequences as well as new mechanics. Really looking forward to it.

Also the plot in MGS is always scifi with an anti war theme to it. Sure its unrealistic but thats the whole point. At least its not a generic war or spy game.

There is a reason these games have a following. Something to do with them being largely superb. Sure one or two games go wrong but each of these series are considered to be gaming staples since they deliver so much.

I should stop asking rhetorical questions instead of simply stating my opinion.

EmilyRochefort turned out to be a returning banned member who got (re)banned and all their posts removed, basically.

Edit: looking at the video in the OP (I only just watched it)... man this looks like a Tom Clancy FPS or something. Whatever happened to sneaking around grey/black enemy bases, crawling through vents and breaking peoples' necks, only whipping out your weapon (which was, most efficiently, a silenced pistol) when you had to. The top down view, the laser sight, the cardboard boxes... now you're just some soldier in a warzone?

EmilyRochefort turned out to be a returning banned member who got (re)banned and all their posts removed, basically.

Edit: looking at the video in the OP (I only just watched it)... man this looks like a Tom Clancy FPS or something. Whatever happened to sneaking around grey/black enemy bases, crawling through vents and breaking peoples' necks, only whipping out your weapon (which was, most efficiently, a silenced pistol) when you had to. The top down view, the laser sight, the cardboard boxes... now you're just some soldier in a warzone?

Basicaly they have 50 rations(cant die) and were given loads of extra weapons.

Its all there but alot of people are annoyed at the way many journos/blogger etc. played the demo by just completing it rather than provide any meaningful footage. Although it does demostrate when you go loud its certainly much nicer now.

Thankfully other journos did a good job and displayed how level design allows for nook and crannies for Snake to use. for example alot of the buildings are damaged there you can sneak through them, crawl through tight broken holes and scout out enemies in the dark etc. :) So no worries about the stealth elements.

The Metal Gear series is my favourite ever ever ever ever ever. It has the best stories of any games, and the best gameplay. I own -

Metal Gear ps1

Metal Gear the Twin Snakes

Metal Gear 2 and the Substance version

Metal Gear 3 and the Subsistence version (includes MSX/NES oldies)

Metal Gear Portable Ops

Metal Gear Digital Graphic Novel

Metal Gear Ac!d

(just wanted to show off)

Oh and I bought loads of metal gear figures while I was in Tokyo.

Just need this, PO+, and Ac!d 2 to be the happiest person in the world.

This game literately has to be the best game of all time or I'll be dissapointed. If it really is the last game in the series it better do it justice. Somehow I think this game won't meet my stupidly high expectations and I'll be disapointed.