N-Europe

The Ultimate Question

Domo Kun

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the 360 seems to be the most popular choice here. There can be no real conclusion to this though. People's comments about the PS3 and 360 can only serve as guidance, they aren't factual.

Ultimately, you've got to make your own mind up about it, rather than leave it to others.

Have a look at what games are out now and what are coming out in the future for both consoles and, based on that, choose the console that interests you the most. It's the best advice I can give.

I have quite an important question- how likely is the PS3 to flop? Is there a possibility that it'll do a Dreamcast? Also, how likely is it that it'll do a Gamecube (i.e. semi flop and not recieve any of the goods that the PS2 and Xbox were getting later on in their lives)?

I really wish there was only one platform. I hate capitalism haha.

Depends what you mean by flop, it's not going to do a Dreamcast as it has too much importance to Sony in doing other stuff. They're not going to remove it from the market, PSP would be the more likely platform to do that but it ultimately still proved profitable.

As for doing a GameCube, I'd again say near zero. Firstly most games nowadays will see a PS360 (and PC) multiplat release, so developing exclusives isn't going to happen all that much. whatmores PS3 is going to eventually outsell the 360 so in the end they're going to be pretty matched, there are far too many games in developement for the Ps3 to do a GameCube now anyway.

Has anyone managed to find a conclusion using this thread? I sadly haven't :( I still don't know which to get...

There isn't really a conclusion to make.

If they fix Live then 360 has the best online, and it already has the bigger back catalogue. The down side is you have to put up with the machines crap reliability.

The PS3 has an inferior online system, but its actually working right now and is free. The current games list isn't too great, but it should have a good 2008/2009.

If i was buying i'd go for a 360 because of the community that exists on these boards. The back catalogue also ensures that anyone buying a 360 now pretty much cannot get bored. Ask me again in a year or so and i might well say PS3.

IIRC the PS3 sits at about 7 million at the moment. At CES Microsoft have been claiming 17 Million 360s have been sold. I might be wrong about the PS3 figures though

PS3 = 9 million

360 = 16 million

Ps3 is currently outselling 360 worldwide by about 40k - 50k weekly, although with the whole post-holiday money saving it's not a great time to look at weekly sales.

Ps3 will outsell 360 in the end though, if you aline launches it's ahead of the 360 and clearly has the best line up this year for selling hardware. It just needs to get a price cut in America and get MGS4 out.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31842

Xbox 360 - 17.7 Million

PS3 is around the 10 mark.

That'd make sense, 1.2 Million over Christmas in the US, so probably about 3 worldwide.

As far as success goes, 2007 was Xbox 360's year. It generated more 3rd Party revenue than Nintendo and Sony combined (source) and in the US more consumer money was spent on it than on any other console ever.

Will be interesting to see how 2008 pans out, with Wii's huge install base and PS3's list of exclusives.

As far as success goes, 2007 was Xbox 360's year. It generated more 3rd Party revenue than Nintendo and Sony combined

You Microsoft are desperate when they have to use phrases like "Most 3rd party revenue" to do their PR thing. I mean, they did have good software sales and stuff, but it's the most terrible phrasing ever.

I mean like, having start ths year with 10m units sold, compared to Wii and PS3 with under 2m, did they expect anything different? :/

• 1 month later...