Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

pirating Wii is popular in the Netherlands

Maiky-NiSuTe

Dear o dear it seems my fellow Dutchmen do not like buying games.. they rather download it.. I find this sad very sad because it seems they forget that if they dont buy games the developers have less money to develop better games and the pirates get more money to get those chips out cheaper and easier..

well my opinion is that i will never NEVER download games! but what is your vision about it?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well considering it primarily involves a little soldering I'm partial to think chipping your Wii is a silly, silly idea. Add the fact that the updates have the potential to brick your system and it just makes it a hassle.

I can understand why people are arsey about paying full price for games. I actually feel with Wii we've seen a lot of inflated software prices. And there should be more games priced £19.99 or below (I'm pointing at you EA).

But piracy kills the industry, forces developers into administration and creates diversions amongst fellow gamers. Not good for any industry really.

Saying that, I feel entertainment in general is massively overpriced and DVD's/Cinema tickets and Videogames all need to fall in price by a few pounds at least. However, as long as there are people out there who pay through the teeth for high street prices, pirates will always have their own little niche.

Part of the problem (and thus solution) is the industry itself IMHO.

Nintendo make it too easy, piracy on the gamecube was relatively difficult and akward on the wii it isnt, same with the DS.

I still firmly believe that the success of the PS1 was down to the massive piracy issues it created. Were Sony clever choosing the CD format? I believe so.

Maybe I'm cynical but Nintendo are far, far better at protecting their systems than both Sony and Microsoft.

But Nintendo also make it easier for people in countries where the Wii is not on general sale to say say "Ah, F*ck it, they don't care about us..." and then go out and buy a modded machine.

I wanted to buy an American machine out here, but then found out that Nintendo would make it off-warranty, that games were as expensive in the West, when salaries are significantly lower in this region. Plus if I brought my Wii with me from England, Nintendo would have cast me down from Heaven and refused to repair it.

So what was my choice? Take a stand against the pirates and adopt a holier-than-thou attitude? Or play the games I want to play, in the only way I can? Nintendo have no-one else but themselves to blame for people in this region buying pirated software, but in the West... well, retailers have to shoulder a lot of the blame for game prices.

it's too damn easy for ds and wii.. it's actually even easier for ds than even the gba.. Are nintendo even trying anymore?

The only way they can stop it is if they have a virtual console but for wii games as well. I know it's impossible right now but i don't see any piracy of virtual console games around with the exceptions of their classic emulators..Maybe i;m wrong maybe there is though.

the picture you shown us is a bit out dated i think because the mod chips i have seen are smaller and easier to insert. but i don't know for sure because i don't know mush of building it in your Wii.

Indeed, I'm sure it's just a bit of soldering now. (So Iv'e heard!)

Shino...That picture makes me crave strawberry laces. Mmmm.

I'm a bit out of the loop, but I believe that's the latest chipset (GC2-D2C), and its the hardest one to mod, either with that modchip, or with a more recent one which still requires 13 cables on a very small points.

Yeah, it is. compare that to the xbox or GC modchips and its still easy.

Also the dreamcast had NO copy protection just burn a cd and pop it in, it still failed. So the ps1 argument is flawed.

geezz well i hope there will come a Wii update that over heats all modded Wii's and burn the houses they stand in ^.- (the same goes for the 360 and ps3 mods to.)

1. That would be illigal.

2. No.

Its not really a valid excuse for it though. I can't steal a nice car and get away with it under the argument "Well sorry but I wasn't going to buy it legally so its not really theft". At the end of the day publishers would make more money if the only way to obtain a game was through legal channels, piracy does effect the industry and you can't argue that certain parts of it are ok.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!