NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

London!

I'm going down to London for a few days in the beginning of January and we're looking for things to do which are cheap (or ideally free).

Good places to eat?

Must-see museums?

Places to drink?

Best way to get around (underground isn't an option as one of my friends is extremely claustrophobic and can't go down there)?

(I feel like I've made this exact thread before but couldn't find it anywhere.....)

Surely there's no better way to get around London than the underground, so you're going to need a lot of bus timetables.

If you're actually into museums, they're all free. British and Natural History & Science are the way to go.

Never been out to eat or drink there though. *hands it over to the natives*

Surely there's no better way to get around London than the underground, so you're going to need a lot of bus timetables.

Buses are cheaper, and if you're sticking to the square mile doesn't make a lot of difference time wise.

In some parts of London, restaurants eat at you. I can't recall anywhere specific, but you'll have no trouble finding somewhere to have lunch, let me assure you.

If you're actually into museums, they're all free. British and Natural History & Science are the way to go.

I'm pretty sure Science museum is paying for adults (not sure what counts as an adult), but the British museum is free. The Science museum is awesome though, as is the Natural History museum.

Other cool places to go: Leicester square, Covent Garden, Oxford Street, Camden town. (some of these are cool just to look around)

In some parts of London, restaurants eat at you.

0_________________o

i never knew this. i've been to london a fair few times but i'm lucky to have never been eaten at by a restaurant =phew=

I made a thread aaages ago about London. I think it would have been around 2005/6?

It basically had a load of stuff I crammed into one day in London. If you've got a few days you'll easily do all that and a lot more. The buses in London seem alright and frequent.. not got one though as the underground is King!

I'm going down to London for a few days in the beginning of January and we're looking for things to do which are cheap (or ideally free).

Good places to eat?

Must-see museums?

Places to drink?

Best way to get around (underground isn't an option as one of my friends is extremely claustrophobic and can't go down there)?

(I feel like I've made this exact thread before but couldn't find it anywhere.....)

Good places to eat, depends on where your going to be staying really, but finding good lunch places can be hard, there are alot of nice cafes around covent garden if you can be arsed to find them.

As far a museums go, check out the big to science and natural history, also check out the tate and and tate modern if your info art all of them are free.

Places to drink, in central london and cheap... they dont exist. Except maybe the few weatherspoons but you dont want to go in there.

Bus is the only alternative to the tube, get your self an oyster card!

I'm pretty sure Science museum is paying for adults
I thought it was free with the option of donating, and you pay for the IMAX cinema and some other things. Am I thinking of the right place?

I thought it was free with the option of donating, and you pay for the IMAX cinema and some other things. Am I thinking of the right place?

Thats what I thought too, unless it's changed?

I'm pretty sure Science museum is paying for adults (not sure what counts as an adult), but the British museum is free.

The Science museum is free but there are a couple exhibits and virtual rides in there you have to pay for.

Check out the V&A as well.

The British Museum is my fav though. And its about 200 meters from my Uni! :heh:

Not being funny like but knock some sense into your friend because London without the Tube would be shit.

London is great, if you're near the city center, there are some pretty great fast food/ pizza places right outside Leicester Square, and you can get around on Tuk Tuks, awesome if you have the cash.

Of course, there is only one place I go when I'm in london for any amount of time; Trocadero :heh:. Best arcade ever.

Last time I was in London the buses were just fine, and from what I hear have been somewhat improved since, so there are options for cross-city travel.

I agree though, tube is the best way to go, you can get almost anywhere in twenty minutes. They can be a bit cramped, especially during rush hour, but if you have lunch and then hit the tubes at two once they've empted slightly, you'll do all right.

The Science museum is free but there are a couple exhibits and virtual rides in there you have to pay for.

Ah yes, I remember now... they keep changing it.

Underground ftw. Best way to get around London.

Could get one of those tour buses though if the tube is out. They'd cover the main sites, and would save your legs.

Natural history and Science museums are both pretty awesome.

I prefer to travel london on the tube, in general i'm just not a big bus fan.

When I was in London in October, I used the buses and they were a joy to use, and only £3.50 for a day ticket, but make sure you have exact change, as the machine won't take notes. Plenty of helpful people at the bus stops helped me get about too. The only mistake I made was to get on a correct bus, but on the wrong side of the road which resulted in me ending up in Hackney in the middle of the night, instead of Euston Station!

I went for 2 days about a month ago. Went to the Royal Opera House one night. Good place and you'll be fine. I didn't have a clue where to go, where to eat, etc. But everything really does just pop out at you.

In some parts of London, restaurants eat at you. I can't recall anywhere specific, but you'll have no trouble finding somewhere to have lunch, let me assure you.

Unless you concist of two fussy vegetarians and someone allergic to wheat.

But yeah my trip to London was brief and more about the nightlife but fun nonetheless. Can't offer much insight though.

Not being funny like but knock some sense into your friend because London without the Tube would be shit.

Not trying to be funny, but please shut the hell up.

Unless you're going to add something useful to the thread.

Of course, there is only one place I go when I'm in london for any amount of time; Trocadero :heh:. Best arcade ever.

This. even if you don't play any games, watching the Japs playing the dance machine games is awesome. I stood around for half an hour watching these guys.

Also, i think El Che is an ex member again.

Not trying to be funny, but please shut the hell up.

Unless you're going to add something useful to the thread.

Bit harsh, I was giving practical advice. I spend a lot of time in London, and trust me, the Tube makes life a lot easier especially if you don't know your way around too well (as it sounds like you don't).

Food

curry dishes - Khan's (cheap and good quality most of the time) in queensway

Japan/china/malasian - Oriental city in colindale, will 100% find something to like

Edgeware road - Best in arabic food from arab dishes with lots of shops to eat in

Sign in to follow this