• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

Sony's Piracy List.

CESA, short for Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association, has been tracking illegal downloads of top selling handheld games. Out of all the titles – DS and PSP – Dissidia: Final Fantasy was downloaded the most.

According to their data, the PSP game was downloaded 5,281,223 times. CESA estimates a loss of 30,631,093,400 yen ($335 million) in sales. The dollar amount is questionable due to used game sales, price drops, and people who would never have purchased Dissidia anyway. In spite of those factors that number is still staggering.

These are some of the other top pirated PSP games developed in Japan.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 –

4,665,510 downloads worth 22,394 million yen ($245 million)

Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce –

2,072,942 downloads worth 9,950 million yen ($109 million)

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite –

1,820,282 downloads worth 8,322 million yen ($91 million)

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII –

1,223,881 downloads worth 7,098 million yen ($77 million)

Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam Next Plus –

1,1187,341 downloads worth 7,100 million yen ($77 million)

Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 2 –

1,131,319 downloads worth 5,603 million yen ($61 million)

Not all top selling PSP games were heavily pirated. Konami’s Power Pros Portable 3 is the 12th best selling game and it was only downloaded 4,358 times. SD Gundam G Generation Portable, the 20th title in Japan, also had a comparatively low piracy rate with only 65,112 downloads.

It appears PSP piracy increased greatly when you compare Phantasy Star Portable and Phantasy Star Portable 2. Phantasy Star Portable, released in 2008, only has 665,320 downloads, a fraction of the 4.6 million downloads of the 2009 sequel.

CESA’s figures the top 20 selling games in Japan were downloaded 23,249,418 and cost the industry 118 billion in damages.

So this is what I've heard. The dev kits for the next PSP have already been sent out and development is under way. Obviously it is a crap load more powerful. Not sure if it will have two analogue sticks or not but it will have a touch screen. It will also have another touch surface, most likely the whole back of the unit (which I like to call the tickle pad :heh: ).

Also, Heavy Rain has had Move patched into it and apparently makes the game much more immersive.

So this is what I've heard. The dev kits for the next PSP have already been sent out and development is under way. Obviously it is a crap load more powerful. Not sure if it will have two analogue sticks or not but it will have a touch screen. It will also have another touch surface, most likely the whole back of the unit (which I like to call the tickle pad :heh: ).

Also, Heavy Rain has had Move patched into it and apparently makes the game much more immersive.

Cool I wonder if PSP2 will be announced next week.

Say "Jason" to Jason?

I don't really understand your positioning of the 'tickle pad', it doesn't sound very practical. I'd be more understanding of mini touch pads being used in place of analogue sticks, but that would lack the tactility required for, say, a 3D shooter; the current nub isn't great, but at least it's something physical.

Honestly, I'm not too clear on the details. What I was told exactly was that there was another touch sensitive surface other than the screen.

I think a touch sensitive backing makes sense. Although not as a replacement for the nub, more as a new kind of input.

Ah, got you. Perhaps it could be something akin to a laptop's touchpad? So for arguments sake say the overall design was similar to the Go, a touch sensitive surface could be located between the physical buttons.

That might seem a bit superfluous, but sometimes directly touching a screen to interact with it isn't always wanted; if you were using your finger to move a reticule, for instance, you'd obfuscate a lot of the screen. On the other hand, having a touch sensitive screen would be preferable when using the machine as a media device or playing simpler, iPhone-esque games in the closed position.

I can see where you're coming from with the back of the device being touch sensitive, but personally I don't see that many uses for such a feature. Given that it's a handheld you'd need to maintain a decent grip on it which limits the movement of your fingers, for instance.

Actually, I've just thought of something: this. Sony's clip-on keypad for the PS3 has touch sensitive buttons, allowing you to use the surface area of the keys like a touchpad. So, perhaps they'd do something similar with a handheld if it was just an ancillary input device.

I guess we'll see soon (I'm pretty sure this is true but obviously I haven't seen it with my own eyes so it's not a confirmation). It's always hard to picture how these things could be implemented without knowing what it is exactly and without demos.

So I'm super excited for Sony's E3.

Me too. I seem to remember last year being quite good for them and after watching MS, it can't be that hard to top.

Just seen the trailer for DC Universe Online. I think my inner fanboy just creamed himself repeatedly. I want now.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!