• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats exactly the reason I haven't bought one yet. gamescon on the 18th should see it announced. If not, TGS in September.

Lol a picture from imageshack is confirmation. Good gag!

Theres more evidence than that. Theres quite alot of stuff that on their own wouldn't be enough, but all combined point to a highly probability that it's true. Theres a thread on NeoGAF where they have gone over every bit of evidence, and current thinking is as above^

Thing is I don't understand why it being Slim is such a benefit. Okay it costs less to produce, but it has a rubbish mat finish (if the images are representative) and apparently it sacrifices a couple of ports. Plus I don't really think the size is an issue, it looks good so I don't see why it matters.

Thing is I don't understand why it being Slim is such a benefit. Okay it costs less to produce, but it has a rubbish mat finish (if the images are representative) and apparently it sacrifices a couple of ports. Plus I don't really think the size is an issue, it looks good so I don't see why it matters.

The images are photoshop mock ups. Although it may yes, end up looking shit. But we don't really know. It might have backwards compatibility back in, or something else. Worst case, the release of the slim drives down the price of the existing model.

Thats exactly the reason I haven't bought one yet. gamescon on the 18th should see it announced. If not, TGS in September.

Theres more evidence than that. Theres quite alot of stuff that on their own wouldn't be enough, but all combined point to a highly probability that it's true. Theres a thread on NeoGAF where they have gone over every bit of evidence, and current thinking is as above^

I think its likely but not at Gamescon. A slim redesign would be nice for newcomers. Though i bet there will be some drawbacks as well as advantages.

Samsung are claiming Sony will cut prices. Which means prices will go up if anything.

I'll be waiting until they say something about the slim on the 18th, or at TGS. Although, if its not cheaper than the 80gb PS3 is now, and lacks some reason that it would be worth getting a slim over a current model (PS2 support, Wireless N, ect.), I think I'll just get a current model at the prices the retailers are going to lower them to, to clear them.

I think its likely but not at Gamescon. A slim redesign would be nice for newcomers. Though i bet there will be some drawbacks as well as advantages.

Samsung are claiming Sony will cut prices. Which means prices will go up if anything.

Nice logic.

I'll be waiting until they say something about the slim on the 18th, or at TGS. Although, if its not cheaper than the 80gb PS3 is now, and lacks some reason that it would be worth getting a slim over a current model (PS2 support, Wireless N, ect.), I think I'll just get a current model at the prices the retailers are going to lower them to, to clear them.

wireless N still isnt ratified and accepted so every company has their own implementation. Sadly new standards for beyond N are already being prepared.

Dont expect any price cuts. A slim PS3 would most certainly command a higher price. No Japanese company is cutting prices. Though they may reposition products here and there.

Either way, I can't see the current PS3s staying at $399 when being cleared after a slim is released. Even if a slim isn't revealed now, with the supposed 70% reduction in production costs surely they'll make at least a small price cut to get people who are waiting for a price cut to buy the console.

TBH, I'm not really expecting wireless N, I was just trying to think of something as an example. What would you say the chances of the supposed slim having PS2 support are?

Edited by Emasher

Either way, I can't see the current PS3s staying at $399 when being cleared after a slim is released. Even if a slim isn't revealed now, with the supposed 70% reduction in production costs surely they'll make at least a small price cut to get people who are waiting for a price cut to buy the console.

TBH, I'm not really expecting wireless N, I was just trying to think of something as an example. What would you say the chances of the supposed slim having PS2 support are?

There is no reason for Sony to cut the price. They have nothing to gain.

70% from launch is nothing. Its still a loss at the current price. If Sony are not able to turn a profit in the next year for games they need to start getting rid of execs and studios that are not turning a profit.

Wipeout HD and Liverpool studio for example should really be shutdown.

Edited by Choze

Were the production costs not around $800 at launch? That would be something like $240 in production costs now. And while retailers probably get something out of that, surely they make some profit selling the console at $399. But I don't know much about this, so you're probably right. I was just speculating before. I honestly would still pay $399 for the console, with all the extra stuff you get its worth that much and more. However, if there's a chance of getting the console cheaper, I'll wait and see.

Edited by Emasher

Lol a picture from imageshack is confirmation. Good gag!

I, err, actually posted in the wrong URL. I mean to link to the product page, not that image; what can I say, it was early.

There is no reason for Sony to cut the price. They have nothing to gain.

70% from launch is nothing. Its still a loss at the current price. If Sony are not able to turn a profit in the next year for games they need to start getting rid of execs and studios that are not turning a profit.

Wipeout HD and Liverpool studio for example should really be shutdown.

Yep, nothing to gain. Apart from an expanded userbase, more revenue from software sales, a vastly improved public perception and further penetration of Blu-ray/HDTVs. When everyone from consumers, analysts and publishers are calling for a reduction it doesn't even matter if your product is good value or not, the miasma of negativity isn't going to go away until you drop the price.

A 70% reduction in production costs would mean that PS3s now cost around $250 to produce. Taking retailer cuts into account, Sony could probably get away with selling new units for $350 with, say, two first-party games bundled in and not be losing anything per unit — a standalone unit at $299 probably wouldn't quite break even. To call that "nothing" is ridiculous, especially when you compare that to the launch of the machine where they were losing over $200 for each $600 machine sold.

As for shutting down Studio Liverpool, that simply doesn't make sense. They've put out one of the PS3's best and most critically acclaimed games, work in tandem with the recently acquired Evolution Studios (MotorStorm) and have pioneered several technical tricks and advancements that feed back into other internal studios. WipEout HD probably hasn't sold as many copies as it deserves, but laying the blame for that at the door of the studio would be reactionary and misguided. Sony aren't afraid of looking at things in the long term, hence the continued support of Home and LBP.

Thats because you dont live in a cardboard box and you were probably born with a spine and neck muscles.

The vast majority of people simply cannot spare the cubic foot of space the PS3 requires or maybe they can't find a 2nd person to help lift the massive PS3 out of its retail packaging

As for shutting down Studio Liverpool, that simply doesn't make sense.

What makes sense is that they do not make a return.

Sony absolutely have to improve efficiency and margins on all their products.

Same goes for other Japanese electronics. Pioneer cut their Kuro display range. Forever. If Sony are not profitable soon there are going to be huge cuts.

Edited by Choze

What makes sense is that they do not make a return.

Sony absolutely have to improve efficiency and margins on all their products.

Same goes for other Japanese electronics. Pioneer cut their Kuro display range. Forever. If Sony are not profitable soon there are going to be huge cuts.

Their has been some measures taken already, they consolidated Evolution and Studio Liverpool. And how do you know Wipeout hasn't made a return? Shutdown a studio which has done 1 game on the new console, great idea..

Their has been some measures taken already, they consolidated Evolution and Studio Liverpool. And how do you know Wipeout hasn't made a return? Shutdown a studio which has done 1 game on the new console, great idea..

Yeah i am sure those measures helped fill their multibillion dollar gaps...

They are in a serious situation now and they need to do as much as they can to at the very least start breaking even.

Edited by Choze

I'm sure I'd do a mistake by making a new topic about this so here goes:

I borrowed a PS3 from a friend about a year back to play Initial D Extreme Stage and now I'm getting my own PS3 and I want to move my saved games, BUT the geniouses who made the game copy protected the save. So I thought I'd be a smart-ass and take the HDD out of the system, hook it up to my PC and backup the files from there.

This would have worked like a charm... If it weren't for the fact that Sony decided to make their own write format for the PS3 HDD.

So what I'm wondering is: Are there any tools/programs out there that can read the PS3 HDD format?

If not, I guess I'm screwed =P

I think the save will be locked to the actual unit (Like SingStar downloaded songs) so whatever you do, your saves will be locked to your friend's PS3. I might be wrong.

Not all games are copy protected though. I think a lot of them aren't but you just can't get trophies with those saves.

From what I can gather from Google Initial D's saves are locked to the machine that they were created on; not even the Backup Utility will be able to copy them across to a different machine.

It might be possible to access the save via a PC and then use some sort of editing tool on it, but if such a thing exists I've no knowledge of it. Honestly I think you'd be better off just starting the game again rather than sinking several hours into trying to circumvent the copy protection on your original save.

Actually I do have one other suggestion, although it's a bit of a long shot: try playing the game on your friend's PS3 and see if there's a patch out that lets you make a copyable save. I've no specific knowledge of Initial D's update history, but Pacific Rift and Burnout Paradise both had their machine locked save files unlocked via patches, so you never know...

That's pretty bad, nowhere near as bad as some of the crap Nintendo used to have though. Or the new PC World advert, the really sexist one with the women voice over having bought the laptop because it's pink and matches her shoes or whatever.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!