NEurope
ReZourceman

Questions About Turning 21

Okay, first off I know Im a n00b @ life.

1) When I turn 21 will my wages increase automatically? I dont particularly care, but it is something I seem to remember hearing on the proverbial grape vine.

B) Will my car insurance decrease? It should also be around the time of my one year anniversary (no accidents) so hopefully Ill be in for a big reduction?

iii) Thanks guys.

1) Probably not - depends on the system your work has in place.

B) Again, probably not - I think the magic age is 25?

1) Its job dependant. The minimum wage of £5.48 or whatever it is at the moment, only applies if your 22+ apparently. So unless your place of work is real nice, no pay rise :(

2) Pretty much definately yes. Mine dropped by half when i hit 21 (i do have 3 years no claims too tho) so expect a nice drop :)

Edit: out of interest what is minimum wage atm?

A) Wouldn't know the economics of wages in the UK - sorry

B) Depends how many year you've been driving, and how many years no claims you have.

Edit: out of interest what is minimum wage atm?

if you're aged 16-18 : £3.40/hour

if you're aged 18-21 : £4.60/hour

if you're aged 22 and above : £5.52/hour

I'm on £6 an hour and i'm only 19...

Damnit, i wouldn't get a pay rise in a couple of years. Fail.

If I get a pay rise this year the same as my last one, Ill be on approx double minimum wage. Thats quite win. (But I do put up with a lot of shit from clients, and its a fairly knowledgable/intenseive/sometimes stressful job)

*He says writing on an internet forum*

I'm not sure if you get a big insurance drop at 21 or just the standard one year older slight discount etc. I hit 25 next year so hopefully it will bring some nicer cars into my insurance price range.

As for minimum wage I have no idea how anyone can live on that much money. I earn a fair amount more and still struggle to do the things I want while actually making sure I don't die. I suppose its fine for people living at home with a main parental income but I'd hate to have to live on that much money.

I don't think you get full minimum wage until you hit 22. Anyway turning 21 is really crappy, you suddenly fear "youths", drink responsibly, and prefer a night in with a nice cup of tea to a night out vomiting violently. My advice is just stick with being 20.

I too strugle to get along some months Will.

I mean, my rent is half my wages. Then food is like £150 a month. Then just general expenditure.

Not to mention i have a girlfriend and her present for her birthday/christmas ate into my funds this month.

Mmm its not good, I'd say my rent is probably about 40% of my pay so not that bad, I just wish I knew where the other 60% has gone by the end of the month!

Girlfriends seem to drain the money straight out, I still haven't paid for her Xmas present so thats another £200 still to go. Then theres all the other people I need to buy for. Christmas was certainly better as a 9 year old!

Agreed fellas. My situation is even better, my rent is only about 16% of my pay, and yet still the rest just gets drained! Pension, Insurance, Dinners out, Petrol, Cinema, Hobbies. It soon rattles down, and frankly its depressing. You *aim* to save up so you can move out or whatever, but if doing so means you have to cut out the stuff you love...there is no bloody point. If you cant afford the things that make you happy theres no point in anything TBH. Its extremely important to do the things you like in life, at least IMHO.

if you're aged 16-18 : £3.40/hour

if you're aged 18-21 : £4.60/hour

if you're aged 22 and above : £5.52/hour

Yeah, all those age bands completely contradicts the new legislation which means you can't discriminate by age.

Classic Tony. :indeed:

Yeah, all those age bands completely contradicts the new legislation which means you can't discriminate by age.

Classic Tony. :indeed:

Well no-one gets paid minimum anyway. Plus, evening them out means, the people who most likely need it more would have to get less. I'd be more worried about the insanity of EMA to be honest.

I don't agree with a minimum wage at the best of times but scaling it is definitely the fairest way to do it.

I've just been sorting out some bills and my damn flatmate owes my £2000! Bad times for him but excellent times for me! Bring on Christmas!

If you make it one year successfully will full no claims, you'll get a 30% reduction, but the big reduction doesn't come until 25.

Some months can be a bit tight like, rent, bike, new car, general living; but i'm generally ok most months. Just whip out the old credit card if times get too hard.

I've never been on minimum wage, last job i was on paid £6 and i kept it until i was 21. Current job pays me £7-50 p/h

As for the insurance dropping, it will if you have had no claims at 21, other than that wait until 25 for the huge drop.

Aha. Im currently paying like £105 or so, and Ive been driving since March, and my birthdays in February.

Everyone makes a big deal out of 21 for some reason. We're not in America, nothing special happens. 20 is sexy because it's a nice round number. 25 is nice because it's the quarter of a century remix.

I was on minimum wage until a little while ago. £3.30 last year (left just before it went up. Woo ¬_¬

Better than not having a job. I actually loved it, the people and the work was great. Getting paid wasn't too fun, but its still £120 a month more than if I just sat around at home doing feck all.

This thread makes me want my old job back.

A damn shithole but man did i love the pay

Better than not having a job. I actually loved it, the people and the work was great. Getting paid wasn't too fun, but its still £120 a month more than if I just sat around at home doing feck all.

True enough! If you enjoy your job, or the people you work with it can make the difference between unbearable and bearable.

when i was at school my friend was boasting about having a job at a shoe shop (aha... this was over 5 years ago...) i cant remember exactly how much it was, but she was getting something like £2.50 an hour. /nono

i was somewhat less than envious.