N-Europe

Fragile Dreams

pedrocasilva

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well damnit, don't know if I'll be playing this on the weekend now, the gamestop near me oddly doesn't even have the game on their systems, other potentail store is Symths and they are the same. Gamestop usually get Rising Star games no problem in the past wonder what's different with this.

Went and ordered on Play.com, but since I'm over in Ireland it usually takes 4 - 5 days for things to reach me here so I probably won't get it till Monday because of the weekend.

where are the reviews of this game anyways?

I was hoping to have seen some popping up by now. I did read somewhere that ONM* scored it 72%, but I haven't read the mag in ages so I'm not sure what they had to say about it.

I figured that I would probably end up getting this anyway so I stuck in a pre-order today and am looking forward to it.

* Apparently they also gave Rune Factory Frontier an 85%, which is another game I can't wait for, although I really should have imported it ages ago.

I've got the mag in front of me and here's the points they make.

A fresh take on survival games

Unique, desolate atmosphere

Much to do as you level up

Combat very clunky

Some tasks really unforgiving

Its flaws hint at the game it could have been. As it is, it's a raggedy curiosity well worth checking out.

I ended up cancelling my order as God of War III is out this week. I may pick it up on the cheap once I read what some Neogaffers think of it.

The whole 'Weapons breaking' and 'Allocated inventory space' is gonna annoy the hell out of me...and judging by peoples general opinion, it's beautiful but the actual gameplay hinders it from being a 'must buy' which is slightly worrying..although each to their own..at the end of the day if i don't like it..it goes on Ebay!

and judging by peoples general opinion, it's beautiful but the actual gameplay hinders it from being a 'must buy' which is slightly worrying

The biggest gameplay issue seems to be with the clunky combat, so I'm hoping that the 'clunky' aspect is more due to the fact that Seto is not a combat expert, in a similar vein to Silent Hill games.

Of course, the atmosphere would need to be spot on and really immersive to allow the developers to get away with it, and early signs are that they have done. With that being said, it could still be used as a viable 'get out' clause though if the broken combat is largely down to laziness.

The limited inventory and broken weapons idea doesn't bother me, although I may well change my mind during the playthrough.

Suppose we'll find out soon enough.

IGN's review (by Matt Casamassina) is up.

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/107/1078205p1.html

Fragile Dreams is a great example of a spectacular concept whose execution could have used a little more thought and time. I love the premise, the setting, some of the characters, and the production values. The story is engrossing. Exploring the lush, beautiful environments in search of clues is fun. The flashlight controls and effects are really impressive. Even combat, in dire need of a lock-on, is functional. It really does have a lot going for it...yet, some of the design decisions and gameplay conventions are exceedingly tired and frustrating. The unnecessary, uninspired fetch quests, blatant backtracking and awkward item management system distract and subtract in a big way from what is otherwise a quality experience. If you fancy yourself an addict for Japanese adventure games, you will want to experience Fragile Dreams. But with some glaring issues that really overshadow the gameplay experience, there's just no way I can glowingly recommend the title, as much as I had hoped I could.

They gave it a 6.7/10.

Some very early, spoiler free impressions. A bit of a copy and paste job (with some alterations) from something I posted on another site in case some of it doesn't make sense.

Only played an couple of hours or so, but it looks like it may become an enjoyable enough experience. Graphically the thing is just beautiful and I also like the soundtrack, also an excellent job of implementing the Wiimote speaker into the game. The story is building up nicely and the developers have done a seemingly great job with creating a sense of isolation, and the very few early characters that I've come across have been pretty interesting or bizarre in the typical Japanese fashion. I can't comment on the English VO's as I figured the game would be more enjoyable using the Japanese voices.

Quite enjoying the 'memory' items aspect and one part early on had a decent enough impact, so hopefully many more will follow.

It's not all positive though: the controls are not the easiest things to work with so I am hoping that I do get accustomed to them, combat is a struggle as a result of this and I have even died 3 times already against very weak foes, thankfully the save points are plentiful so far.

I can see that the breaking weapons could well be a problem and it seems quite random as to when it happens, one bamboo stick lasted a while, yet another broke almost immediately after I bought it. The inventory is also quite awkward to work with, and the limited nature of it is a minor issue, but, the frequency of the fire pits means it isn't game breaking.

I should also point out that some (but definitely not all) of my issues with the controls could be due to fact that I rarely use the Wii now, other than Muramasa and LKS which hardly use Wii specific controls anyway, so things may improve slightly once I have retrained myself.

Thanks for those impressions! I've just started it and immediately i feel wrapped into the story, literally after 15 mins play! It reminds me of a Anime movie..it's already graphically impressive.

I get the control thing too..it's not as fluid as it should be!

My worrys are something you've kinda addressed..the weapons breaking etc...WILL irritate me, but i'm pleased to hear 'save stations' are plentiful..overall VERY few Wii games have created such a atmosphere so quickly, so i applaud that!

So far, i'm pleased i purchased it..but i'm very weird with games, i can go off them as quickly as i like em! haha

My Bamboo stick broke and I sold my stick, so I'm stuck with cat toys which are shit.

Had a similar problem myself and spent a little while desperately trying to battle on with a combination of a broken bamboo sword and a cat toy. Speaking of which, I'm still trying to work out what the deal is with playing with the cats and if there's going to be any benefit from it, there must be something or else why map them?

Thankfully, I've found that money becomes really easy to come by once you get through the early phases so it's not a problem to have loads of back-up weapons, although the random nature of when the trader decides to show up seems a bit bizarre, as well as the frequent backtracking to bonfires which is a little tiresome already.

Despite all that, and still wrestling with the controls I think it's fair to say that I am completely hooked on the story and how bleak everything is, so I'm definitely pleased that I gave this a chance, just hoping the story and atmosphere can maintain itself for the duration.

Edited by ThePigMarcher

Up to the amusement park now, just the beginings of it and the Crow guy is a pain running round after him, tool me ages to work out what exactly to do in the part when you have to sneak up behind him (k that sounded wrong)

And also thank god the on-hand item space increases, I was starting to worry it would stuck at what you begin with, phew... though I still wish it was bigger annoying when it fills up and have to think, should i move forward and hope there's a bonfire nearby or go back to the last one.

Also on the end of the mall bit

OMG, poor PF, I thought she'd stay with you till the end of the game, didn't expect that at all.