NEurope
Slaggis

Save the Dolphins

Most people probably know about the killings that go on every year in japan. Where they round up a mass of dolphins and slaughter them for meat. It's hard to think how we treat the second most intelligent animal on the planet.

Video (It gets pretty disturbing - video of Hayden and co trying to stop the slaughter/getting attacked by fisherman)

TV star Hayden Panettiere has been involved in a violent confrontation with Japanese fishermen as she tried to disrupt their annual dolphin slaughter.

Heroes star Hayden in tears

The 18-year-old actress, who stars in TV blockbuster Heroes, paddled out on a surfboard in an attempt to reach a pod of dolphins to stop them being driven into a nearby cove and killed.

But the six surfers, from Australia and the United States, were intercepted by a fishing boat before they could reach the dolphins.

The fishermen used the boat's propellers to block their way and at one point struck out with a boathook.

It was an ugly and potentially life-threatening confrontation that lasted more than 10 minutes before the surfers were forced to return to the beach.

Advertisement

It is believed that the dolphins were later taken into the cove and killed.

Panettiere, who is a keen surfer and a committed marine conservationist and supporter of the campaign to save the Japan dolphins, said: "It was really frightening.

"Some of us were hit by the boathook. But in the end all we really worried about was the dolphins.

"It was so incredibly sad. We were so close to them and they were sky hopping, jumping out of the water to see us."

Surfers attacked by fishermen

Breaking down in tears, she added: "One little baby dolphin stuck his head out and kinda looked at me and the thought that it's no longer with us is really hard to take."

The surfers drove straight to Osaka airport and left the country to avoid arrest by the Japanese national police.

All would have been charged with trespass, but Panettiere is now back in Los Angeles.

More than 22,000 dolphins are slaughtered by fishermen in Japan every year. The hunt continues despite worldwide condemnation.

In Taijie, more than 2,000 mammals are slaughtered in the season.

Many Japanese believe dolphins should be treated like fish. They have been hunting dolphins for centuries and see any criticism of this as an attack on their culture.

(From Sky News)

Aplogies for making a thread, but I really do think it's something everyone should know about and in the end try and stop it. (I just realised I half sound like dynasty girl :heh: )

Nobody cares how many pigs we kill, and they're pretty smart. It all comes down to how attractive the animal is. Which is why Hayden Panettiere cares. A sad truth for humanity, really.

Nobody cares how many pigs we kill, and they're pretty smart. It all comes down to how attractive the animal is. Which is why Hayden Panettiere cares. A sad truth for humanity, really.

True, alot of people don't sadly. But the thing is, we don't round pigs in a massive pen and stab them with big sticks intill they're all dead in a mass of blood do we? Also, pigs aren't endangered (in Japanese waters). The slaughter of animals in the wild and the slaughter of animals bread for meat is a different matter. Also the slaughter of animals bread for meat has at least started to become more humane.

Edit: I don't mean pigs aren't endangered in Japanese waters, I mean Pigs aren't endangered whereas dolphins are in japanese waters. Damn my typing/inferior brain. :)

I care about the amount of pigs are killed.

I meant more on a global scale. People don't bust into slaughterhouses and factories and start 'save the pigs' campaigns in front of the bolt pistols and slicers and dicers. None of that's very pretty either.

I meant more on a global scale. People don't bust into slaughterhouses and factories and start 'save the pigs' campaigns in front of the bolt pistols and slicers and dicers. None of that's very pretty either.

Pig are generally killed in a more humane way. They (kind of) get it lucky, as they'll never be killed by Halal or Kosher butchers (and therefore while conscious), unlike cows or sheep.

Animals in the UK are, when not killed by Kosher or Halal butches, stunned first, so they wont' feel anything.

Animals in the UK are, when not killed by Kosher or Halal butches, stunned first, so they wont' feel anything.

I find that hard to believe. I demand proof.

*sigh*

Basically, they're stunned with an electric shock to the brain and, then are immediately killed.

I'll find you the most conclusive evidence I can when I can be bothered. :smile:

Halal and Kosher butchers kill by slitting the animal's throat when it is fully conscious, and feels everything. For no (good) reason. How kind!

Actually, I lie: there is a reason, and it's the old favorite: the "it's my religion" trump card! :blank:

Anyway, back to the dolphins...

Have you not seen any videos of it? There was a program on the bbc a few months back showing what they do nowadays, one quick stun and the pig is "gone" before ever realising.

The thing about the dolphins is that, they way they are slaughtered is so inhumane it's hard to think about. That video (the bit with the dolphins in) is pretty horrific.

Jesus....Hiro Nakamura look's very aggresive there.

Fair do's to Hayden. Japan should stop eating beauty.

Japan should stop eating beauty.

I think the point is meant to be more about the fact that they are endangered animals, and mass-killings of them is, well, not exactly helping the problem... :indeed:

Thing is Shorty, dolphins are an endangered species. Pigs aren't and are bred for food.

Im kind with shorty on this one and I will explain why.

I hate anything getting killed animal wise I mean im a complete wuss I cried when I was a kid whenever my goldfish died. Yet at the same time logically and morally what are we trying to achieve? Im a hypocrite because while I may hate the thought of pigs being killed and would be to much of a wimp to kill them myself I love bacon therefore no way in hell could I stop anyone else killing them as it would be pure hypocrasy even it was a meat I didnt like.

Now as shorty said are we saving these animals becuase we like them or they are more intellegent and we identify with them more? Like tribes that kill monkeys for food whats wrong with that? They are just another animal but one that is more similar to us than say a sheep so we deem it wrong?

The debate about killing stuff painlessly is another one and I agree thats bad and the government in countries should step in with the money and force modernisation.

But I mean unless your a vegan and to be honest im sorry even if you are your killing loads of stuff all the time just by being alive its the nature of life. I guess if somoene commited suicide and let a pig eat them they would have no hypocrasy but otherwise.

Ah man reminded of south park now lol. Anyway thast my views hope it makes sense I guess its a big long winded lol.

Ah on the endangered question then I guess agian laws from the government have to come in.

I hate it when celebrities get themselves involved with stuff like that, especially when theres no logical reason for their support. Yes they are endangered, and so are half the other species of animals on this planet if reports are to be believed.

I do think the mass cull of dolphins is harsh but its their way of life, the same way people in the UK are eating up the worlds supply of cod.

aren't we a bit late trying to save the ritual killings this year? I mean, they do this every year. It always sucks... But at this rate we'll all forget by the time they do it again next year.

I hate it when celebrities get themselves involved with stuff like that, especially when theres no logical reason for their support. Yes they are endangered, and so are half the other species of animals on this planet if reports are to be believed.

I do think the mass cull of dolphins is harsh but its their way of life, the same way people in the UK are eating up the worlds supply of cod.

I think them saying "it's part of our culture" is a crappy excuse personally. I mean, if rounding up a bunch of families and killing them was the tradition of some tribe that wouldn't be allowed to continue would it? (Over exaggeration I know, but go with me here :) )

If it was much more humane, and they weren't endangered it wouldn't be such a big problem, but the fact they are endangered, and they way they are killed (as that video shows) is pretty horrific it's most definitely not ok in my book.

(Also we've put restrictions on cod fishing to allow the population to regrow etc)

Have you not seen any videos of it? There was a program on the bbc a few months back showing what they do nowadays, one quick stun and the pig is "gone" before ever realising.

The thing about the dolphins is that, they way they are slaughtered is so inhumane it's hard to think about. That video (the bit with the dolphins in) is pretty horrific.

Hmm, that's very good. I'm glad to hear they do such a thing. :)

If you think this is inhumane, you should see the animal slaughters in china. If you want videos, I can arrange fo that to happen. I almost cry everytime I see those things. =S

I do agree with Shorty that people care about them more than other animal because they are cute. However you cannot deny the fact that they are endangered and they aren't killed humanely.

I aggree that this wrong because of the inhuman way of killing them and near extinction over there but when people start dragging the " Theyre a intelligent and beutiful creature" crap i just roll my eyes.

Because the suposedly smartest creature on the planet seemed to be doing a pretty good job there. Especially in some forgotten continent that had a genocide there recently

Mcoy knows it will probably never happen, but one day an alien species will start rounding up entire communities around the world and killing us in cruel and painful ways just to eat us, we'll then feel the pain that we've caused to many other species in this world, and we'll have no right to complain.

Many already said my point of view (the pig and cute thing), it depends if its legal and if they're an endangered specie there.

And yes its pretty much cultural, Asians eat octopus alive directly biting them, and I don't see any one complaining.

Humans don't really owe any animal anything. Animals brutally kill each other all of the time, and would kill us first time they got. This being said though, I don't think you should kill any animals in that way, just out of compassion alone.

And yes its pretty much cultural, Asians eat octopus alive directly biting them, and I don't see any one complaining.

I think they usually chop them up just beforehand... see Oldboy for a gruesome exception.

Incidentally, octopodes are thought to be the most intelligent invertebrates, so some people think it's unfair to eat them.

I think they usually chop them up just beforehand... see Oldboy for a gruesome exception.

Incidentally, octopodes are thought to be the most intelligent invertebrates, so some people think it's unfair to eat them.

It was in Oldboy that I was thinking. :p

It chocked me a bit, along with Ants (and other hive insects) octopus are my favorite animals.