NEurope
dazzybee

I'm going to Japan! HELP!!

Hey, I'm going to japan for a couple of weeks (3 days after Galaxy - Argh!!!!), firstly i wondered if anyone will be out there at the same time.

But mainly I wanted to ask if anyone has been before and if anyone had any advice on going. I'm going alone - my girlfeind can't afford it and I've been working stupidly hard and I need a break, plus Ive been saying I'm going to japan for about 4 years now and I just thought I'm going to go, and with work being stupidly busy I have an opening to go so I'm just going to do it!!

Its pretty intimidating going on my own so i thought I'd ask for advice. Any help would be much appreciated.

PS While I'm out there I'm probably going to get some DS games - Band bros expansion pack, Ouendan 2 and Taiko drum game. Anyone have any other recomendations of Japan games?

Track down Kingjoe from these forums, he's currently there. I'm in China and can only offer general advice about Asia.

The best advice is probably not to assume that anyone speaks English - get a phrasebook.

Not that I've ever been to Japan... I'd like to go though.

I've been learning Japanese for a while now. I'm useless, but I reckon I could get by with a bit of hand gesticulation :)

I've been learning Japanese for a while now. I'm useless, but I reckon I could get by with a bit of hand gesticulation :)

Well then, you should be better equipped than most people who go there.

I just saw an awesome show on Discovery about Japan :P

Where exactly are you going btw?

go watch some puroresu (Japanese Pro Wrestling) at Kouraken hall in Tokyo. I jealous mate as Tokyo is one place I need to visit.

I wouldn't worry at all, its pretty piss easy to get around Japan especially if you have any form of basic Japanese. Sometimes the kanji are a bit daunting but there isn't much you can do about that except take a phrase book.

Going to Tokyo for two weeks with a 4 day break in kyto in the middle.

I'm sure it'll be fine, just slightly daunting.

Get a Japan Rail Pass! You can use it on any JR train or shinkansen. VERY useful. Get a guidebook. And visit Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima, Nagoya, Himeji, Nikkou and Ise.

Also, stay in a cheap ryokan. They're very clean, and at around 12£ a night to have to share toilets/bathrooms, it's worth it.

Try Gojo Guesthouse in Kyoto. Google it! That's where I stayed and made one day trips to other places using the shinkansen and my rail pass. I stayed with a friend in Tokyo, so I can't help you there.

Yes get a rail pass, a lot of things happen in those trains. I gotta go to Japan and Gaijin Smash them!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm off tomorrow, pretty scary :) I'm not prepared AT ALL! And I have mario galaxy.........

Anyways, a few last minute checks of advice:

- PLUGS: I have an adaptor - it IS the same as the USA one isn't it? I dont need anything special do I (step up convertor or anything!!!)

- How easy is it to get money out in Japan? I heard it was quite tricky and the best bet was to take all the yen with me, I don't really wanna take a grands worth of yen with me (already got 500).

- Erm, anyone out there at the minute?

Hey DazzyBee, have a good trip! Sounds like its going to be a blast. I'll try and get Bluey to come give you some advice if you need anymore. She's been twice now and knows quite a lot.

Thanks. yeah, I any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh yeah, one more thing -

What DS games do people recomend?

PM'd. :smile:

She's been twice now and knows quite a lot.

aww, shucks ^__^

i'm impressed you're going it alone! well done! well, where are you planning to stay?

getting money out should be ok ... best bet is to find yourself a CITI-BANK cash machine... they can be located in most train stations around central tokyo by using the "go up to official looking person, wave arms and say 'citi-bank wa doko des ka?!!' method"

you wont need a step up converter. : )

DS game wise - taiko drum master for sure! it's amazing. but if you're staying in tokyo, and find yourself in shinjuku ~ be sure to visit some arcades and play the REAL taiko drum master!! (or watch the crazy arcade masters to their thing @__@ puts all the english DDR freaks to shame! haha)

also... if i can recommend anywhere to visit - try your best to get to harajuku on a sunday (it's when the cosplayers all hang out on the bridge) you can get to harajuku on the yamanote JR line (the green circular one if you have a map handy~) there are two exits from harajuku station: the first will come out facing "takeshta dori" (spelling?) which is this amazing shopping street~ half way down that street is the BEST crepe shop. in. the. world.

the other exit brings you out near the bridge... if you walk along that bridge on a sunday you'll be surrounded by amazing cosplayers ~ but best of all once you get to the end of it you'll be right infront of the meiji shinto shrine - take time out to visit the shrine - it's so, so beautiful.

uhm... yea!

if you can get to a bookshop, lots of them have english sections: i recommend a phrasebook called "point and speak phrasebook: japan"

PointJP-tm.jpg

(1500yen) i got it on my last trip and it was amazingly helpful :smile:

Thanks Bluey. I'm here now, it's a pretty daunting crazy place (I'm stying in Shinjuku) I'm actually staying in Kubikicho, which is the japanese red light district and is FULL of massage palours and hooker type places - very surreal!

It took me two hours to find my hotel after being awake for 50 hours straight!

After my first full day though I've got the hang of it a little and it's pretty exciting trying out my Japanese, trying being a generous word for what I'm doing....

Anyways, here are some pretty terrible photo's if anyone is interested, I'm going to be updating them everyday (for my girlfriend and friends)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=20746&id=611870162&ref=mf

Glad you made it there safely :)

i dont know much about japan and would love to go there myself one time :D

Please try some Ramen for me, i love naruto and need to see if his food is gooood :D

Shyguy you can get Ramen here :heh: personally I don't think too much of the stuff, I could make myself a better bowl of big wet noodles. Gimme some tonkatsu or yakitori (sp?) plz, I prefer meat intensive ^^

dazzybee, your link's not working for me :( even after signing in. I'm very curious to see the area. I've been learning Japanese at Uni for a few months and would like to go out there eventually :D I've visited Asia before but mostly the Chinese areas, Hong Kong, Macau and China itself. And my cantonese sucks.

I'd like to go to Japan as soon as possible too. With my basic knowledge of Japanese I'd probably be able to survive a couple of days there.