Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Movie News Thread!

Retro_Link

Superman movie reboot!

"Just a few days after this article was posted, Warner Bros. Pictures Group President Jeff Robinov has told The Wall Street Journal that the studio is going to be reintroducing Superman. We assume this will be similar to how Louis Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk was a reboot of Ang Lee's Hulk. Here is what the article says:

Warner Bros. also put on hold plans for another movie starring multiple superheroes -- known as "Batman vs. Superman" -- after the $215 million "Superman Returns," which had disappointing box-office returns, didn't please executives. "'Superman' didn't quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to," says Mr. Robinov. "It didn't position the character the way he needed to be positioned." "Had 'Superman' worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009," he adds. "But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all."

The article also talks about Warner Bros. adapting other DC properties over the new few years. "By 2011, Mr. Robinov plans for DC Comics to supply the material for up to two of the six to eight tent-pole films he hopes Warner Bros. will have in the pipeline by then," it says. Those projects will likely be about single characters at first, and will be darker much like The Dark Knight:

With "Batman vs. Superman" and "Justice League" stalled, Warner Bros. has quietly adopted Marvel's model of releasing a single film for each character, and then using those movies and their sequels to build up to a multicharacter film. "Along those lines, we have been developing every DC character that we own," Mr. Robinov says.

Like the recent Batman sequel -- which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as "The Dark Knight." Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.

The studio is set to announce its plans for future DC movies in the next month. For now, though, it is focused on releasing four comic-book films in the next three years, including a third Batman film, a new film reintroducing Superman, and two movies focusing on other DC Comics characters. Movies featuring Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, and Wonder Woman are all in active development.

We'll let you know as soon as the studio has announced its plans for future DC movies."

www.superherohype.com

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warner Bros. also put on hold plans for another movie starring multiple superheroes -- known as "Batman vs. Superman" -- after the $215 million "Superman Returns," which had disappointing box-office returns, didn't please executives. "'Superman' didn't quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to," says Mr. Robinov. "It didn't position the character the way he needed to be positioned." "Had 'Superman' worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009," he adds.

Hahaahahh! I love it. E.g. it was a fucking shit heap. :bowdown:

Superman is not supposed to be dark, but whatever, a revival might be cool.

Agreed...Its not supposed to be...but...if it is dark, it could work fairly well I feel. Primary coloured spandex aside. :heh:

Superman Returns is a good film. I'm entirely unsure where all the hate comes from.

Yup, it seems to be that people dislike because it hasn't got Superman battling crazy robots, or Lex Luthor in a bright green battlesuit. Or they can't accept any other Superman films apart from the original 2.

It's not bad, just a bit odd, in places, and in plot.

---

I wish they'd just make a Wonder Woman movie and get it over with. I mean, Flash will be shit, he's so uninteresting. Green Arrow I know is more focused on a prison breakout or something...I dunno. I just want me some Wondy. The animated movie is coming out next year on DVD, I think.

It does seem to be the victim of some very annoying fanboy rage.

Frankly, I think Bryan Singer's wasted on an audience like that. Pearls before swine an all: he's a fantastic director with a subtle take on the genre that's far, far more interesting than a straight up action movie.

It does seem to be the victim of some very annoying fanboy rage.

Frankly, I think Bryan Singer's wasted on an audience like that. Pearls before swine an all: he's a fantastic director with a subtle take on the genre that's far, far more interesting than a straight up action movie.

Mmm-hmm.

I've only seen his comic stuff (Supes and the X-Men films he did), but X2 is one of my favourite films, based on pure enjoyment, and the fact that I have an X-men fetish. It's just comic-like.

I must ask what you guys thought of the "Supermans son kills people" aspect of the film?

Uh...that one one occurence in one scene of the film? It wasn't like he was involved in a melee against Luthor's men, expertly taking them out with lethal ju-jitsu or whatever. He pushed a piano at one, probably instinctively.

I mean, yeah, I wouldn't have included a son, as it's too weird and silly, but it was actually handled very well, considering.

Up (Summer 2009, directed by Pete Doctor and Bob Peterson)

Toy Story 3 (Summer 2010, directed by Lee Unkrich)

Newt (Summer 2011, directed by Gary Rydstrom)

The Bear and the Bow (Fall 2011, directed by Brenda Chapman)

Cars 2 (Summer 2012, directed by Brad Lewis)

And also:

Toy Story in 3-D (2009 release)

Toy Story 2 in 3-D (2010 release)

(although im sure Lassetter is directing Toy Story 3...)

Up (2009)

Voice Talent: Ed Asner, Christopher Plummer, John Ratzenberger, Jordan Nagai

From the Academy Award®-nominated team of director Pete Docter ("Monsters, Inc.") and co-director Bob Peterson comes "Up," a comedic adventure taking off (and lifting spirits) in summer 2009. Carl Fredricksen spent his entire life dreaming of exploring the globe and experiencing life to its fullest. But at age 78, life seems to have passed him by, until a twist of fate (and a persistent 8-year old Wilderness Explorer named Russell) gives him a new lease on life. "Up" takes audiences on a thrilling journey where the unlikely pair encounter wild terrain, unexpected villains and jungle creatures. When seeking adventure next summer -- look "Up."

Toy Story 3 (2010)

Voice Talent: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Don Rickles, Wallace Shawn, Estelle Harris, John Ratzenberger, Ned Beatty

The creators of the beloved "Toy Story" films re-open the toy box and bring moviegoers back to the delightful world of Woody, Buzz and our favorite gang of toy characters in "Toy Story 3." Lee Unkrich (co-director of "Toy Story 2" and "Finding Nemo") directs this highly anticipated film, and Michael Arndt, the Academy Award®-winning screenwriter of "Little Miss Sunshine," brings his unique talents and comedic sensibilities to the proceedings.

Newt (2011)

What happens when the last remaining male and female blue-footed newts on the planet are forced together by science to save the species, and they can't stand each other? That's the problem facing Newt and Brooke, heroes of "newt," the Pixar film by seven-time Academy Award® winner for sound Gary Rydstrom, and director of Pixar's Oscar-nominated short, "Lifted." Newt and Brooke embark on a perilous, unpredictable adventure and discover that finding a mate never goes as planned, even when you only have one choice. Love, it turns out, is not a science.

The Bear and the Bow (2011)

Voice Talent: Reese Witherspoon, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson

A rugged and mythic Scotland is the setting for Pixar's action-adventure "The Bear and the Bow." The impetuous, tangle-haired Merida, though a daughter of royalty, would prefer to make her mark as a great archer. A clash of wills with her mother compels Merida to make a reckless choice, which unleashes unintended peril on her father's kingdom and her mother's life. Merida struggles with the unpredictable forces of nature, magic and a dark, ancient curse to set things right. Director Brenda Chapman ("The Prince of Egypt," "The Lion King") and the storytelling wizards of Pixar conjure humor, fantasy and excitement in this rich Highland tale.

Wait!!! Why isn't Finding Nemo Jr (working title) on that Pixar list.

Finding Nemo is my favorite Pixar film!! (Yes including Wall-E)

Well that list is for up to 2012, so if its being made it isn't being made this year.

Same here Daft :D

I didn't know there was a second finding Nemo in the works :S

There isn't as far as I know, I was just being hopeful with that title. :heh:

Well that list is for up to 2012, so if its being made it isn't being made this year.

Good good, you can't rush brilliance I suppose.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!