NEurope
Retro_Link

The Movie News Thread!

Going to see this on Saturday, can't wait. As my brother said "Keith Ledger is quite good apparently".

Exclusive: LIVE-ACTION 'COWBOY BEBOP' MOVIE IS IN THE WORKS

Producer Erwin Stoff reveals that he is developing a live-action adaptation of the iconic anime for Fox

THE SKINNY: If anybody is in the mood for some exhilarating, long-anticipated, previously-unannounced breaking news about anime series COWBOY BEBOP, iF Magazine has the exclusive scoop for you.

We caught up with producer-extraordinaire Erwin Stoff at the NBC TCAs where he was promoting his upcoming updated-David-and-Goliath-based show KINGS. When asked about other projects he is currently working on, Stoff, let slip some very juicy news about a very beloved anime franchise.

“I’m developing COWBOY BEBOP for Fox, but doing it as a live-action film, so I’m working on that at the moment,” Stoff tells iF. “I’m really excited to be working on it, and it’s in the really early stages. We just signed it the other day.”

Before any of you BEBOP fanboys/fangirls get your skivvies in a twist about yet another questionable anime-to-human adaptation (see: DRAGONBALL), iF made sure to get an oath of fidelity to the original material from Stoff.

“I have such an enormous admiration for its creators, that our first and foremost concern is going to be a real degree of faithfulness to the tone of the movie, to the mix of genres, and so on and so forth,” he says. “When I met with them in Japan, one of the first things that I brought up was the experience that we had on A SCANNER DARKLY, and how hard we worked to remain faithful to Philip K. Dick, and that was our big concern here.”

For those skeptical about the casting possibilities, Stoff has the following to say: “Flak about choices is meaningless until people see the movie," he notes. "When people see the movie, then criticism has a place in it.”

Does Stoff think that American audiences that aren’t familiar with the anime will have trouble getting aboard?

“No, I really don’t think they will,” says Scoff. “I think they haven’t [gotten aboard] with the anime because it’s had limited exposure - it’s just been on Adult Swim, and so on. I think the ability to tell this larger frame - the ability to build a world that’s iconically American in its Western nature - I don’t think so at all.”

source: iF Magazine

Hmmmmm. Interesting. Less Spider-Pig this time please.

Anyone else get sick of people singing that thinking that they were ground breaking comedians for quoting an unfunny cartoon gag?

Hmmmmm. Interesting. Less Spider-Pig this time please.

Anyone else get sick of people singing that thinking that they were ground breaking comedians for quoting an unfunny cartoon gag?

Same as people who quote Little Britain...or just about any catchphrase comedy.

More Dark Knight Records

The new Batman movie keeps on chugging along at record paces!

The Dark Knight took in an astounding $24 million at the box office in the U.S. on Monday.

On a Monday!!!!

The film has already made a whopping $182.9 million in less than a week of release.

Spider-Man 3 had $10.2 million on the Monday after it opened and that movie went on to make $336 domestically.

The Dark Knight looks poised to easily make $400 million.

And, with 64% of Dark Knight fans saying they plan to see it AGAIN, the movie could take in upwards of $500 million in America.

Ferrell and McKay developing 'Anchorman 2'

Anchormanferrell_lRon Burgundy fans rejoice! It looks like Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, the brains behind Anchorman, are ready to put the sexist, freewheeling newscaster back in the anchor chair. McKay tells EW.com that he and Ferrell have begun work on a sequel that could jump ahead a decade to the '80s. (We can see it now: Ron discovers hair mousse.) DreamWorks says it hasn't yet talked to the duo, but that doesn't mean Ferrell and McKay aren't dreaming up inappropriate new plots. "The audience will now allow us to do even crazier stuff," McKay says, "and that's really all we're looking for in our careers."

I shall be adding to the millions of dark knight next week, I'm so excited.

I loved the simpsons movie..although I watched adverts so much that spider pig was boring by the time I watched the film..

MTV is doing the time warp on a remake of 1975 cult classic "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

Lou Adler, exec producer of the original film, is partnering with BermanBraun and Fox Television Studios on the new rendition.

Two-hour remake will use the original screenplay by Jim Sharman and Richard O'Brien but may also include music not featured in the original.

Helmer and casting decisions have yet to be announced.

Fox is sin discussions with BSkyB and Sky Movies to co-finance and distribute the telepic abroad.

Timetable for the start of production hasn't been established yet but the partners aim to move forward quickly once the final elements are in place.

"I'd like to see it shown a year from this coming Halloween, but that's up to MTV," Adler said.

BermanBraun principal Gail Berman will exec produce the project along with partner Lloyd Braun. Berman has been attached to a "Rocky Horror" remake dating back to her tenure as Fox programming chief (Daily Variety, July 1, 2002).

The original "Rocky Horror," starring Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick and Meatloaf, has grossed $140 million in domestic box office over the years, primarily from the wallets of youthful audience members who have shown up for midnight screenings over the past three decades.

Nu Image/Millennium Films is pleased to announce the return of RED SONJA to the big screen. The film will star Rose McGowan as the mythical flame-haired comic-book vixen with a sword, Red Sonja. The film is presented by Robert Rodriguez and will be directed by Douglas Aarniokoski.

The producers are Rodriguez, Avi Lerner, Boaz Davidson, Joe Gatta and George Furla. The film’s executive producers are Danny Dimbort, Trevor Short, Luke Lieberman and Nick Barrucci. The screenplay is written by David White. Red Sonja is based on a heroine created by Robert E. Howard and adapted for Marvel Comics by Roy Thomas.

In her return we find Red Sonja, a young girl risen from the ashes of tragedy to become the most feared woman warrior of all time. The mythical red-head blindly seeks vengeance on those who destroyed her family. In her path of destruction she discovers a larger purpose for her unearthly powers: to save all Hyrkania from the villainous Kulan Gath.

“This is an amazing property and film for our company,” says Nu Image/Millennium’s Avi Lerner. ”Working with the talented Robert Rodriguez, having Rose McGowan as Red Sonja and Douglas Aarniokoski directing is a fantastic combination. We could not be happier.”

The Nu Image/Millennium deals were structured and orchestrated by Lonnie Ramati, executive vice president of business affairs.

“It is our intent to take this opportunity to build on the worlds of branded entertainment with Red Sonja as well as Conan, Hercules and The Three Musketeerstitles. There is history with these mythical heroes, and success,” says Millennium’s Boaz Davidson. “We were pleased when Joe Gatta brought us this project.”

Production is set to begin in October of this year. Locations are being scouted in Michigan and throughout the United States. Additional casting is also being considered.

Indy V not rulled out...

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/894/894200p1.html

Lucas Considers Indy 5

"If I can come up with another idea that they like, we'll do another."

UK, July 28, 2008 - In spite of the critical mauling Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull received, George Lucas has been discussing the possibility of a fifth film in the franchise, stating, "If I can come up with another idea that they like, we'll do another."

Speaking to The Sunday Times, Lucas said that putting together the recently released sequel was a challenge. "Indiana Jones only becomes complicated when you have another two people saying 'I want it this way' and 'I want it that way', whereas when I first did Jones, I just said 'We'll do it this way' - and that was much easier.

"But now", he went on, "I have to accommodate everybody, because they are all big, successful guys too, so it's a little hard on a practical level."

Lucas also elaborated on the creative differences he and Spielberg have recently been experiencing. "We still have the issues about the direction we'd like to take." he explained.

"I'm in the future, Steven's in the past. He's trying to drag it back to the way they were, I'm trying to push it to a whole different place. So still we have a sort of tension. This recent one came out of that. It's kind of a hybrid of our own two ideas, so we'll see where we are able to take the next one."

With Crystal Skull taking more than $750m worldwide, a fifth film seems more than likely, so what direction would you like to see the franchise take?

I'm sure one plan for Indy was to do one more film to pass the torch to Mr. DUI.

Simpsons movie shall happen somepoint...someday...sometime: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a112426/groening-confirms-simpsons-sequel.html

YES! :yay:

I loved The Simpsons Movie. :grin: but I love The Simpsons too much anyway...

The movie was a return to form for me and It's miles better than anthing season 17 and 18 had to offer at the time. I'd say it was a return to season 9/10 standard.

Let there be a second movie. :awesome:

James Bond Theme:

http://uk.music.ign.com/articles/894/894871p1.html

Jack White, Alicia Keys, and James Bond

First duet in Bond soundtrack history to appear in Quantum of Solace.

The latest James Bond entry, Quantum of Solace, will feature a musical first (at least for the franchise).

You may recall that both Amy Winehouse and Leona Lewis were originally rumored as the singers of the theme song for Quantum of Solace. However it has now been announced that White Stripes frontman Jack White has teamed up with PoMo soulstress Alicia Keys to record the first duet to be featured in a Bond film.

Entitled "Another Way To Die" the track was written and produced by White, who also played drums.

The soundtrack to Quantum of Solace will be released on October 28th via J Records (incidently the label for which Keys currently records).

quantum-of-solace-20080729115301090_640w.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: ‘Robocop’ Reboot To Be Rated R, Producer Promises

Seventeen years after his last big-screen incarnation, “Robocop” will finally make his way back to theaters in 2010, thanks to a Darren Aronofsky-directed fourth film.

Will it be a direct sequel? A reboot? Will it star Peter Weller? You can find the answers to those and other questions here.

But judging from internet chatter, the most persistent question fans have about the hitherto secretive project isn’t why Robocop is coming back to theaters, but what he’ll do when he gets there. Hopefully, the implication goes, it includes a lot (and we mean A LOT) of killing.

Released in 1987, the first film in the series was originally given an X rating by the MPAA, until director Paul Verhoeven trimmed out some blood and gore to qualify for a hard R. So will the new “Robocop” be similarly bloody? Or will it go for a safer PG-13?

“Well I was involved with the original ‘Robocop,’ and it was an R, and the likelihood is that this will be an R,” producer Mike Medavoy told MTV News. “It’s likely to be an R unless the director cuts back on some of it.”

That director being Aronofsky, it’s unlikely he’ll pull any punches. Initial trepidation, in fact, didn’t center around his vision, but on the possibility the film would be in 3D. If it’s in 3D, the argument goes, that alone necessitates skewing younger.

Medavoy is adamant 3D hasn’t even been discussed.

“I don’t think that’s even come up,” he said.

Read our preview of the new “Robocop” here.

Probably not everyones cup of tea but this is the film my friend is in.

CASS is out friday.

My mate plays the support role and is called 'prentice' in the film. He is the one at the start who says "err its the inter city firm love". Saw him walk down the red carpet on monday, was amazing.

Sony Eyes Venom Feature

Spidey spin-off in development.

venom-spin-off-20080731051702564.jpg

UK, July 31, 2008 - Sony has announced plans to develop a Venom movie, based on the villainous parasite from the Spider-Man series.

The studio is hoping that the character will re-invigorate the franchise, in the same way that Fox is hoping their forthcoming Wolverine pic will do for the X-Men series.

Mean Creak scribe Jacob Estes has already been commissioned to have a stab at the script, but The Hollywood Reporter claims that Sony is considering going in a different direction and therefore seeking writers for a new draft.

HR also reports that the studio isn't convinced that Topher Grace, who played Venom in Spider-Man 3, can carry a tent-pole picture and so is considering other actors.

As far as we know, the studio is still developing a fourth Spider-Man flick, set for a 2011 release.

If this goes ahead, they had better go in a different direction, because Venom ruined Spiderman 3 quite frankly!

IMO [and I'm sure many others], Venom would need a redesign.

Venom was basically just an evil Spiderman clone who looked stupid talking with a human voice!

I guess the way to do/explain it, would be to have the symbiot find a new host, and just say part of it did survive at the end of Spidey 3! But then Venom wouldn't be Brock.