Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Is Wii wasted potential?

darkjak

Yes but, what I'm saying is, some gamecube games such as Super Smash Brothers could equal maybe 20-30 amazing games since they simply lasted forever, or you had games like Wind Waker/Symphonia that seemed to be a mark above many PS2 games. 'Filler' games like Jak/Ratchet, constant football games and beat 'em ups might have padded out their games library, but I couldn't care much about them.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree there, I can say you're definitely in the minority though, thinking the Gamecube had a better library then the PS2.

*smirks*. I'm wondering how on Earth anyone could have reached that conclusion. Yeh thanks, I don't want games like Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4. That's not what I was saying. It was more or less the point that I'd still have bought a gamecube had it only got first party games, simply because they were that good and there were a fair few of them.

Okay, I've really not trying to be debating about the Gamecube in this thread, but the Wii. The Wii is still going to get the great first party support so I guess we can all be happy.

By "looks", if you're referring to graphics then it's obviously going to be a level behind the other two consoles. Nintendo are very good at doing their 'smoothed' cartoon style graphics, which can look more pleasing to the eye. You see these in Mario Kart, Sunshine, (Galaxy screens), SSBM etc. I only really like the Mario Kart Racers out of pretty much all their is out there.

I'll happily take an original and innovative art style ahead of realistic graphics, but this guy wants a realistic racer, and ProStreet looks right up his street. The screenshots I've seen are highly impressive, and Need for Speed is never all that bad.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played them both, and I can see lots of similarities. Both take you offroad with cars, and in both you keep jumping off absurd jumps, and you have a little thing called boost which makes your vehicle explode if you overdoo it. Motorstorm is tecnically more advanced, and it has online, sure. However, the graphics are overrated, as many of the rocks in the surroundings still are blocky, something that you as a matter of fact never notice in ET. The physics are TERRIBLE om MS. Sometimes the trucks run right over huge friggin rocks, sometimes the vehicle "crashes" into invisible friggin objects. For such an expensive console, the game loads for ages. It takes a minute to load each car in the vehicle selection menu. Nearly all game development students are taking a crack at that game, since it's so full of flaws. I mean, it doesent even support two player splitscreen.

MS is a really expensive techdemo, while ET is an extremely fun game.

I agree, and add, that MS just felt so boring and slow compared to ET. I've only played a few races on MS, but I don't want to play it again. One race I was in front for the whole 3 laps, and just wanted to go to sleep.

My friend who owns a PS3 (sold his Wii, fool!) explained it to me like this, it's like ET but without the stupid jumps and stunts. To which I replied "But those are the best bits!"

I think the online mode saves Motorstorm. Because of it, the game has a lot of replay value and can become really addictive, something severely lacking from the single player.

If Motorstorm didn't have the online mode then I would definitely prefer Excite Truck by quite a margin, but because of the online mode I like the two games about the same.

That's up to personal taste though, to me GC's library is far superior to PS2's.

It's gonna be like that on a Nintendo forum though.

I'm not saying GameCube was bad or anything, just in terms of quantity it doesn't compare to the PS2, in my opinion.

This thread is about the Wii though anyway, which seems to be getting alot more third party support then the GC, woo.

I'm not saying GameCube was bad or anything, just in terms of quantity it doesn't compare to the PS2, in my opinion.

This thread is about the Wii though anyway, which seems to be getting alot more third party support then the GC, woo.

Yes but, quantity doesn't have anything to do with quality. I still remember those chavs you would see who walk about in gamestation with about 8 preowned games in their hand, adding more to the pile. They just wanted lots of games. I think gamecube had games that were great, and couldn't just be completed in 8 hours (and if they could, they had replayability).

Yes but, quantity doesn't have anything to do with quality.

Exactly. Who cares about quantity if you can have quality?

Of course, for a RPG fan, for example, PS2 is better.

Yes but, quantity doesn't have anything to do with quality. I still remember those chavs you would see who walk about in gamestation with about 8 preowned games in their hand, adding more to the pile. They just wanted lots of games. I think gamecube had games that were great, and couldn't just be completed in 8 hours (and if they could, they had replayability).

PS2 had quantity and quality though, and had games for every genre.

It's not something that is going to be prove, but in doing the best I can I look at GameRankings scores for the two consoles:

PS2

47 titles with an average > 90%

134 titles with an average > 85%

GameCube

17 titles with an average > 90%

54 titles with an average > 85%

That speaks volumes to me, PS2 did have it's Zelda's and Mario's and Metroid's, just they didn't involve those characters, but they were just as good and just as deep. It sounds to me like you've not played alot of the PS2 games which made it so great, and I'm not just talking about the most well known ones like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear solid.

From what I played, I hated the game. The controls suck, it's not fun and the graphics, good as they may be technically are boring. Online might be cool though.

Same here. Poor controls = bad racing game, no matter how realistic the graphics are. I stopped playing when I had to download some 45 minute long patch just to play online. And after playing PS3 Ridge Racer...Ugh...I realise for real now that all these 'uber', realistic graphics mean nothing! RR looks great, but I'll be damned before I buy a game for about £50 just because the graphics look great.

All this Blu Ray and HD bull crap in games is such a sucker punch; it lured me right in and many a Wii-owner...But all that is just make-up.

Yes there are lots of games getting over 90%, but they still aren't in the same league as others of similar scores. Take the first Prince of Persia for PS2- fun yes, but just a linear and short patformer with litte replayability. There are just so many of these 'good' games that you generally forget about (then let's not forget the 2 or 3 or so sequels you normally get) that seemed to clog the PS2.

Then you could look at games like GTA San Andreas and Vice City- practically a reused graphic engine and felt so similar each game. Then you had games like Final Fantasy X that while great, were a huge stepdown from what we're used to seeing from an FF title.

Yes there were some 'fantastic' games, but in my opinion there were either more of these on GC or just better ones.

Yes there are lots of games getting over 90%, but they still aren't in the same league as others of similar scores. Take the first Prince of Persia for PS2- fun yes, but just a linear and short patformer with litte replayability. There are just so many of these 'good' games that you generally forget about (then let's not forget the 2 or 3 or so sequels you normally get) that seemed to clog the PS2.

Yes there were some 'fantastic' games, but in my opinion there were either more of these on GC or just better ones.

We'll agree to disagree then, cause the debate is going around in circles :).

Are there any 'great' GC games that don't have sequel's announced for yet? Except Pikmin of course. Want to know what to expect :P, and my knowledge probably isn't all that great.

A new Baten Kaos wouldn't go amiss though, or, dare I say it, Eternal Darkness.

Then you could look at games like GTA San Andreas and Vice City- practically a reused graphic engine and felt so similar each game. Then you had games like Final Fantasy X that while great, were a huge stepdown from what we're used to seeing from an FF title.

I agree...I don't know what it is, games on a Nintendo console just feel more memorable and polished...Never expect a game like Pikmin 2 on a PS2 or other. That game (and a few others) are so special to me and I feel far more inspired and attached to them than a lot of Playstation offerings.

If the Wii is wasted potential what would you call the PS3? A waste? You KNOW of the games coming, ask this again in December...Though I am sure you would not feel the need to. I see and am always aware of the Wii's potential and it is greater than the other two; the Wii can actually offer us something new!

Though if you wanted shooters - wrong console. Wh you expect there to be an outstanding amount of shooters on a Nintendo console?

Having bought a PS3 yesterday, now I am more optimistic regarding what the Wii has to offer.

lol. At the end of this generation we can all see which console never fulfilled it's potential.

I think the original xbox was the outstanding console of the last generation. Had a very diverse library of games, some outstanding classics and some very original hits which really established Microsoft as a major played VERY quickly in the games business. I think this trend has definately continued onto the 360 which has some great games, however I feel that it hasn't yet reached its potential as many of the games are too similar to the previous gen and haven't progressed enough. I think the same can be said about the Wii. Many of the games have been fairly similar to the previous gen or PS2 ports. But I think devs are really getting to grips with it now and I'm highly anticipating games such as Zack and Wiki. I think this christmas will be immensly good!

When I look back though I don't hold the gamecube in a brilliant light. I got it on launch day and the 1st year was AMAZING! Rogue leader, Smash Bros, Eternal Darkness, Sunshine. But then it sort of trickled away with long periods of time with no good games. Zelda was great but kind of dissapointing. There were NO racers or decent FPS bar Timesplitters which was out on PS2/Xbox. There was just a real lack of everything on the Gamecube but what we did get was incredible. Such as Animal Crossing, Resi 4 etc. At times it just felt quite confined though like there wasn't much outside of Nintendo's own games. Compare this to the N64 and SNES days though which had hugely diverse librarys of excellent games and the gamecube was a let down.

Obviously though, this is what has inspired the Wii and I genuinely believe this will be the best games console of all time! I think the doubters will be stronly silenced in the coming months. It is not "wasted" potential, it just hasn't reached it yet. It's easy to see that if you look back in time at previous console releases. How many of a consoles best games are released in the 1st year! Almost none! In the next 12 months the Wii is going to explode into life and Nintendo will be back on top again. Now I just wish people would shut up about "is it hardcore" and "oooh it's casual." IF IT LOOKS GOOD THEN PLAY IT. IF NOT, DON'T! Who cares if its "hardcore" or not it's a GAME for christ's sake!

Rant over!

P.S. I have owned all 3 console and the PS3 is terrible. 12 days it lasted before I lost all hope. Sony need to look at Microsoft for a lesson in next gen gaming.

Hmmm, Wii is wasted potential of what could have been from Nintendo because i think we can all agree that Nintendo can do far, FAR better.

But...its here, it works, its stable, and capable of producing quality games. Nintendo need to get their thumb out and start setting a better example of quality and before anyone throws Mario Galaxy, or Smash Bros, or Mario Baseball or Mario Kart in my face, i mean original Wii-specific masterpieces, not GC rehashes or the usual bombardment of Mushroom Kingdom spin-offs

For online gaming the Xbox was the outstanding console of last generation. And to say there was hardly anything worth playing on it besides Halo is quite an exaggeration I think.

I played and enjoyed plenty of Xbox games, and Fable was in fact my favourite console game of last generation.

Excitetruck beats the crap out of Motorstorm, that's a fact, but ET isn't the kind of racer I'm looking for. I'm looking for something along the lines of PGR (since Bizarre are free from MS now, we might get MSR 2 as a sort of equivelant).

metropolis_street_racer3b.jpg

MoH:H2 hasn't been released yet, and knowing that game series, I've got big difficulties to see how it could possibly beat CoD3. Yeah, online multiplayer, really great. How about good contols, and an interresting singleplayer campaign, and at least a slight bit of realism?

Of course, you can't EXPECT there to be a good game in this or that genre, especially not the Wii, as a lot of people were sceptical about it to start off with, but now we can so clearly see that developers are turning over to the Wii, announcing this game and that game. Where the heck are the racer and shooter announcements? I mean, for all of the last generation we were craving a GTA-ish game. All we got were the True Crime games... And for the Wii? Godfather, Driver, Scarface, and maybe even some game I've forgotten, all within the firts year of the console. I mean, why aren't developers equally eager to port for example Black for the Wii:

xero_black1.jpg

Preferrably I'd see some really good first or second party games exclusivelly for the console in those genres, but knowing Nintendo that'll be unlikelly. We can hope that now that the MP trilogy is finished, Retro Studios will do something else based on the same engine...

Are they both 360 games?

Hmmm, Wii is wasted potential of what could have been from Nintendo because i think we can all agree that Nintendo can do far, FAR better.

But...its here, it works, its stable, and capable of producing quality games. Nintendo need to get their thumb out and start setting a better example of quality and before anyone throws Mario Galaxy, or Smash Bros, or Mario Baseball or Mario Kart in my face, i mean original Wii-specific masterpieces, not GC rehashes or the usual bombardment of Mushroom Kingdom spin-offs

Kinda like XBOX with Halo, PGR, Forza and PS3 with all those FFs. I prefer great games of the same franchise than games with new names that are just more of the same, but suck, like we're seeing a lot.

Who the hell cares if the game is a sequel if it's good? You're gonna reject SSBB, MP3 and Galaxy because they're not fresh IPs? That's just dumb. It's not easy to come up with good IPs with the usual Nintendo quality you know?

That's just dumb. It's not easy to come up with good IPs with the usual Nintendo quality you know?

It is if your Nintendo and you have billions to invest in game development.

And why bring Microsoft into this. The topic is about Nintendo. Nintendo=videogames, thats why i expect more out of them. Maybe thats not fair but thats how it is.

well Bizarre could do a driving game not MSR 2 though as SEGA hold the copyright. That why we got the silly title Project Gotham Racer.

Isn't Sega still some sort of semi-owner ish thing of Bizarre?

As far as I know, PGR got its name because it was planned to change the name before release (Hence the "project" part). But who knows, you may be right...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!