NEurope
Helmsly

Wired interview with Perrin Kaplan (Smash brothers delay, Wii storage space)

lol those are pretty arrogant answers especially the one in regards to storage space. It takes a while getting around the wii Interface as is. Expecting people to just delete and move files is pretty stupid when it takes ages.

Yeah I think so as soon as they allow you to run applications off SD cards they are worried either someone will find a loop hole to use it for piracy or people will run stuff of SD cards that they don't want to be run off on the Wii....

But surely having an SD card channel..that just brings up another wii menu or something and allow us to load VC/Wiiware games off them will help prevent it being a problem? or something like that...

Exactly, a Nintendo branded SD card that has a copy lock on it so it can't be copied or emptied onto a PC

Exactly, a Nintendo branded SD card that has a copy lock on it so it can't be copied or emptied onto a PC

Kinda defeats the object of putting pictures and MP3s on your Wii.

It takes less time to download a game from the internet than it takes to copy it to the SD card.

But sure, moving games to and from an external harddrive would probably be an idea.

Well it's put me off downloading any more vc games. Surely they can fix it where you can only play vc games from an sd card if you are on connect 24 so they can ensure you only play vc games on your wii that you have actually bought

Kinda defeats the object of putting pictures and MP3s on your Wii.

Hmmm, well there must be some compromise here. After all, it is unfair to have to keep deleting and re-downloading games you have paid for.

Personally, I'd rather have a locked Nintendo SD card just for my games, I can always swap it over when I'm not playing VC games and pop in the one with my MP3s and pics on. After all, you're not doing everything at once.

Why would you need another card?

The Wii can only run channels that are registered to the system, and the channel/VC game files can be put onto an SD card anyway.

The wouldn't be any more piracy issues by running things of an SD card.

Exactly, I was under the impression you could only play VC games downloaded to your own Wii.

that fridge analogy just doesn't work. I don't open my fridge, see there's no room, then take the food item out the fridge to make room. I know there's no room in my fridge so I don't buy any more food that needs to be kept cool. this translates into - I have 2 vc games, and don't plan on buying anymore until I get a "bigger fridge" to use her analogy.

I'm not going to constantly delete and re-download EVERY time I want to play a game. to me it would be better if I had links to downloads, and everytime I play a game its downloaded fresh off the server. state is stored locally, and the link, other than that the game is lost everytime I exit.

have the option of doing things as they currently are though.. my wii is rarely (if ever) online these days, so if they had that system exclusively I'd not buy any games. but some sort of on demand system where you essentially have a stub that takes less space up makes sense to me, for those who have/want more games.

Heres the thing. I honestly think this is the reason why the Wii doesn't have booting off the SD card.

Have you ever copied anything onto your SD card? It takes fucking forever. It took 4 minutes to copy an N64 game, which is around 32mb onto my SD card.

This means, the Wii has a rather pathetic bus speed for its SD slot. That or its simply limited by Nintendo to stop people backwards working it to run things off it.

Either way, the transfer speed is too slow for anything decent to come of it. A simple Nintendo branded USB memory stick that is totally encrypted to your own console and no one elses would surfice if they were that pissy about piracy.

Seriously, people moan about the 360 only having a 20GB HDD, so they bring out a 120GB that costs a jack load. This really is the one upside of the PS3, because you can basically stick HDD you want into it and install the OS straight onto it.

I really wish they had put more storage space on the Wii in the first place then.

Whats the chances of a new SKU Wii with more memory?

Probably because loading a game from a external harddrive or SD card would be too slow and cause annoying loading times.

These games are a few MB, they could be loaded in seconds at the start of play.

Heres the thing. I honestly think this is the reason why the Wii doesn't have booting off the SD card.

Have you ever copied anything onto your SD card? It takes fucking forever. It took 4 minutes to copy an N64 game, which is around 32mb onto my SD card.

Have you copied anything over recently? As before sending my Wii back to ninty I copied over all of my save games and stuff. Expecting to be there for ages because I wanted to copy the VC stuff aswell. But it was surprisingly quick, so maybe the speed of this has been updated in a firmware update.

Oh and the bus speed can't be that slow as it streams MP3's in excite truck, okay they're not the biggest of files. But I'm pretty sure to stream an MP3 needs a semi decent transfer rate.

Yeah I think so as soon as they allow you to run applications off SD cards they are worried either someone will find a loop hole to use it for piracy or people will run stuff of SD cards that they don't want to be run off on the Wii....

But surely having an SD card channel..that just brings up another wii menu or something and allow us to load VC/Wiiware games off them will help prevent it being a problem? or something like that...

An SD Card channel with another wii menu... that sir, is brilliant thinking! That really would be a nice thing to see!

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to wait three hours to load the flipping Shop Channel.

Haha! great comment! I especially love downloading a VC game if my broadband is running slowly as it means mario takes ages to jump up at the blocks on the downloading screen... which of course means i have no idea how long it will take to download!

I don't think the SD card is slow. Nintendo probably throttles the write/read speed to keep read errors to a minimum. It should be faster than the disc drive, at any rate.

Another interview with Perrin Kaplan this time at Multiplayer:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2007/10/22/nintendos-perrin-kaplan-on-apple-comparisons-the-companys-new-gaming-calendar-and-the-missing-september-surprise-part-1-of-2/

At one point they touch on the storage space 'issue' again:

Multiplayer: When those WiiWare games come out, what am I supposed to save them onto?

Kaplan: [pause] Hmm, you just asked me a good question.

Multiplayer: You just insulted the rest of my questions!

Kaplan: I know. I did because now you’re going into the technical arena, aren’t you? I actually think you’re supposed to save them on your system, that you then make room for it.

Multiplayer: That “Final Fantasy” [WiiWare] game in Japan looked pretty nice. I don’t think I could fit that on the system.

Kaplan: Well, you’ll have to get an extra card.

Multiplayer: Maybe I’ll have to buy a second system and save it onto the second Wii.

Kaplan: You’ll just have to have a lot of extra cards.

About Bungie:

Multiplayer: Those Bungie guys are a little more free than they were before. They’re not that far away from your guys’ office. Are you going to reach out to them at all?

Kaplan: We don’t have any plans to reach out to them at this juncture. No, Nintendo’s got it’s hands full.

Multiplayer: Would it be nice to have a Bungie game on the Wii, though?

Kaplan: Hard to say. I think it comes down to innovation and creativity. I think they would have to present what it is their idea would be.

Multiplayer: You’re not making them feel very wanted right now.

Kaplan: You know, we love all good innovative companies but we don’t have any plans on the table right now with Bungie.

And the Missing September surprise:

Multiplayer: I’ve heard. Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime promised us a September surprise [on the Wii],and I never saw a September surprise.

Kaplan: I don’t know that he indicated which year.

Multiplayer: Oh, September 2008, I’ll look for the surprise then.

Seriously...what's the deal with her attitude or am I missing her sense of humor

Sounds like she's after a P.R job at sony. (joke??) Arrogant attitude / answers to some valid queries / questions