Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Monster Hunter Tri

flameboy

I've never played any of the MH titles and while I'm glad to see it on the Wii, I'm not overly hyped for it, probably because it may not come out over here. But that being said, I like playing a game that has longevity and everything I've heard about the series tells me that it has that. As long as I'm not having to repeat quest/whatever over and over again to do things then it should be alright in my books. Would track down a PSP version but my brother got rid of his PSP so can't do that. Kinda wish then that MHG was coming to the west as I could use that as a tester for whether I can get into it or not.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as I'm not having to repeat quest/whatever over and over again to do things then it should be alright in my books. Would track down a PSP version but my brother got rid of his PSP so can't do that. Kinda wish then that MHG was coming to the west as I could use that as a tester for whether I can get into it or not.

Its not at all bad repeating the quests if you have others in your party, its quite a laugh and as for the lack of MHG im disappointed by it myself. Capcom said they want the MH franchise to expand and become popular in the west yet they arent going to release MHG over he which as you said would help ease people into the series before the MH3 arrives.

I pretty much have no problems repeating quests online over and over anyway, did that all the time with PSO and never got bored with other folk playing online with me.

Still does really suck about no MHG here, really could of helped showing MH over in the west since the Wii has 46 mil now worldwide now with most of the them being in the West. Madness :heh:

I pretty much have no problems repeating quests online over and over anyway, did that all the time with PSO and never got bored with other folk playing online with me.

Still does really suck about no MHG here, really could of helped showing MH over in the west since the Wii has 46 mil now worldwide now with most of the them being in the West. Madness :heh:

Madness???

... cba

Thats what I dont get. The Wii is going from strength to strength and this year is looking to be killer one and yet certain games arent getting brought over to the west. MHG is one example, Disaster is another and the the likes of Sky Crawlers, Fragile and even Fatal Frame 4 ( not sure we have had any official confrimation yet ) are in doubt and then Japanese developers wonder why they are losing ground to the western ones.

Yeh, I don't understand it either because they say they want to get more intouch with the Western market and to do that all they'd need to do is release their titles. But with them being reluctant to do, no wonder they are losing ground. Really, it's a lazy attitude that they have because of the effort needed to port it over to PAL, and to a lesser extent NTSC America. It sucks really yet they have the cheek to announce a game and even go so far as to show the english language version/screenshots/whatever and then don't release it (I'm looking at Namco specifically hear about the lack of Tales of games getting released in the West on the DS. That's 3 now).

I mean, they're still gonna get a profit anyway if they release it in the West and that means that franchise will establish itself in the western market so it's win win, yet they still hold back.

The only reason it's not been released is because Capcom don't see any profit in the game for them.

Perhaps Capcom should employ you in charge of their finances instead though? You seem to have a better perspective then Capcom on how to make money...

I agree with you, i'd gladly take over and do a better job and make better decisions.

They moan about wanting to bring MH to the West to expand it yet when they have the chance they don't. If that's the case and don't bring it over then they shouldn't bother making these comments at all should they? So yes, I can do a better job. I'll even put you as a recommendation since we all know your opinon means a lot for when I apply, so keep giving me support!

This is exactly why Japanese developers are losing ground. Take Microsoft's appraoch, they knew Halo 3 wouldn't sell that well in Japan, but they still released it. It sold over 100,000 copies and I'm sure it wiped it's face in profit/loss. What is has achieved though is an opening in the Japanese market for that type of game, and although FPS games are never going to over take JRPGs and battling robots, it's a building block and one that can lead to better sales in the future.

On the other hand, whilst MH3 is never going to top games like Mario Kart or Halo in the West, it could build a stable fan base and start opening up the market to games of that kind. However rather than that CAPCOM aren't even sure whether to release it!

I'm positive that MH3 would do more than just wipe its face and would turn a decent profit.

This is exactly why Japanese developers are losing ground. Take Microsoft's appraoch, they knew Halo 3 wouldn't sell that well in Japan, but they still released it. It sold over 100,000 copies and I'm sure it wiped it's face in profit/loss. What is has achieved though is an opening in the Japanese market for that type of game, and although FPS games are never going to over take JRPGs and battling robots, it's a building block and one that can lead to better sales in the future.

On the other hand, whilst MH3 is never going to top games like Mario Kart or Halo in the West, it could build a stable fan base and start opening up the market to games of that kind. However rather than that CAPCOM aren't even sure whether to release it!

I'm positive that MH3 would do more than just wipe its face and would turn a decent profit.

If Monster Hunter could turn Capcom a profit in the West, then they'd bring it to the west.

It's just common sense, it's obviously lost them money in the past bringing it over here so why bother in the future? You thinking MH3 would sell well or whatever is great, but Capcom have market research, previous sales / finance figures of the game to go by, rather then you and your... thinking.

I still think MH3 will come to America though, just not Europe unless it's a surprise hit.

It's just common sense, it's obviously lost them money in the past bringing it over here so why bother in the future? You thinking MH3 would sell well or whatever is great, but Capcom have market research, previous sales / finance figures of the game to go by, rather then you and your... thinking.

:yay: High five!

I wonder though, if this was marketed right that it could exceed expectations. Graphically it is high end for the Wii but on par for video games generally. I would suggest pushing it as being a coop experience unlike anything else on the market. They really need to sell the setting.

Push the epic-ness (westerners love it) and for GOD'S SAKE don't cutesey it up.

If Monster Hunter could turn Capcom a profit in the West, then they'd bring it to the west.

I still think MH3 will come to America though, just not Europe unless it's a surprise hit.

Well, it's not just 'me and my thinking'. The only two Monster Hunter games to make it to the West were Monster Hunter Freedom and Monster Hunter Freedom 2, they sold 0.38 million and 0.55 million copies respectively.

They were both on the PSP which has a smaller installed user base than the Wii. So, by 'logic' and not just my 'thinking', the Wii version could perform well with the right marketing and advertising.

Well, it's not just 'me and my thinking'. The only two Monster Hunter games to make it to the West were Monster Hunter Freedom and Monster Hunter Freedom 2, they sold 0.38 million and 0.55 million copies respectively.

They were both on the PSP which has a smaller installed user base than the Wii. So, by 'logic' and not just my 'thinking', the Wii version could perform well with the right marketing and advertising.

Monster Hunter was on the PS2 and came out in the west and was online.

I totally agree about the advertsising part though. Monster Hunter on the PS2 had zero advertising which made no sense as it was an online game that was free to play. Sure the PS2 wasnt online heavy at all but seeing as they were so few online games on the machine MH really could have made a name for itself amongst alot of gamers. Instead Capcom relesed it without any advertising whatsoever and then complained that the sales were poor.

I would just like to say....

SHADOW FOR CAPCOM PRESIDENT!!!!!

I totally agree about the advertsising part though. Monster Hunter on the PS2 had zero advertising which made no sense as it was an online game that was free to play. Sure the PS2 wasnt online heavy at all but seeing as they were so few online games on the machine MH really could have made a name for itself amongst alot of gamers. Instead Capcom relesed it without any advertising whatsoever and then complained that the sales were poor.

It's an online game, which shines due to it's coop play and no one is going to be able to enjoy that much unless quite a few ppl buy it. There needs to be a bit of a hype machine built up around this to give it some momentum.

They were both on the PSP which has a smaller installed user base than the Wii

I think to be fair, the PSP and Wii install base outside of Japan is probably comparable, so thats not a valuable argument. *waits for someone to shoot me down with sales figures*

However, with the right kind of marketing- and perhaps a more western name- MH3 could prove a hit.

I do have a feeling VGChartz figures are over-tracked, albeit it was probably helped alot by being one of the only PSP games on the market to get good reviews in that period, less competition will always lead to greater sales. I think it was bundled at some point too?

I know the PS2 game was a sales disaster, and when you're spending alot of money to translate, convert, manufacture, ship and pay royalties on the game while having a capable server being setup and maintained it just doesn't work out financially viable.

As for marketing the game, not gonna happen. Costs too much money, it'd make much more sense Capcom spending a marketing budget on another Resident Evil game for Wii or something.

Lets say the game took 12 million dollars to develop, take 30$ from a 60$ each game for publishing, translating, manufacture, shipping and royalties, each game now has a profit of 30$ only (not adding exchange rates which I believe would be even better for Japanese developers), the game would need to sell 400k in America online to cover up expenses of developing the game.

I believe its entirely possible, of course its simplified a LOT but I see no reason as to not working something like this.

The Developement costs are irellevent to be honest, as the Japanese sales will cover them.

The real costs will be from producing enough copies to fill retail and maintaining and setting up the server in the west, which isn't really going to be worth it if it doesn't sell that big.

The last Monster Hunter sold a good 550k in the west, but I think Capcom were put off as that was majorly helped by retail price cuts and PSP bundles, both of which will have cut the revenue they made from the game heavily. If it's built up a fanbase who'll buy the next at launch then they could justify it, maybe.

They'll try Monster Hunter 3 out in America for sure, I've got a feeling it's going to struggle for sales in Japan though which may put them off porting at all.

I think the problem with games like this coming to the West is that it requires gamers to take a risk. If you've not played many games of this type, then you don't know what to expect, so therefore you're more reluctant to part with your cash for this.

Games like Final Fantasy, Mario Kart, Zelda all come with a big name and reputation. They're established, so the gamer already knows of games of this type, and what is going to be included in each game before they buy it. If you wave something like Killer7, or Monster Hunter, or even something like Dewey's Adventure, then that's when gamers start "umming..." Sure, this game may have the reputation in Japan, but it's unknown to many in the West.

Now, therein lies the problem: How do you make gamers aware of this title? That's where they're going to have to decide whether or not they take a risk themselves. Do they pump loads of energy into advertising and marketing this game? Or, do they stay cautious and keep hold tightly of their money.

Remember, an invisible game does not sell itself. It is also by no sheer coincidence that the top selling games on the Wii were heavily marketed and well advertised. You get out what you put in.

I think the problem with games like this coming to the West is that it requires gamers to take a risk. If you've not played many games of this type, then you don't know what to expect, so therefore you're more reluctant to part with your cash for this.

Games like Final Fantasy, Mario Kart, Zelda all come with a big name and reputation. They're established, so the gamer already knows of games of this type, and what is going to be included in each game before they buy it. If you wave something like Killer7, or Monster Hunter, or even something like Dewey's Adventure, then that's when gamers start "umming..." Sure, this game may have the reputation in Japan, but it's unknown to many in the West.

Now, therein lies the problem: How do you make gamers aware of this title? That's where they're going to have to decide whether or not they take a risk themselves. Do they pump loads of energy into advertising and marketing this game? Or, do they stay cautious and keep hold tightly of their money.

Remember, an invisible game does not sell itself. It is also by no sheer coincidence that the top selling games on the Wii were heavily marketed and well advertised. You get out what you put in.

And that's pretty much why it doesn't make alot of sense for Capcom to market this game in the west, and ultimately raises questions to the point of bring it to the West at all.

New IP's are becoming less common because, well, whats the point. Why try and make a big new brand when Capcom can just release another Devil May Cry or Resident Evil or Street Fighter and be guranteed to have large sales before they've even spent a penny on the marketing.

A new IP can keep low on marketing but get big sales from press hype and strong reviews. This has it's only gambles too, and doesn't seem as prevalent for a game on the Wii then PS360.

I think EA is the best example of this, they're desperately struggling to get a huge IP they can release every 1-2 years on PS360 and get huge sales. Activision and Call of Duty, Ubisoft have Assassin's Creed, EA are still struggling somewhat I think.

I think to be fair, the PSP and Wii install base outside of Japan is probably comparable, so thats not a valuable argument. *waits for someone to shoot me down with sales figures*

However, with the right kind of marketing- and perhaps a more western name- MH3 could prove a hit.

Well the Wii has 6 million more units out there in the states and 1 million more in Europe. So I'd say European Figures were comparable, but the Wii is doing a lot better in the states than the PSP.

The Developement costs are irellevent to be honest, as the Japanese sales will cover them.

The real costs will be from producing enough copies to fill retail and maintaining and setting up the server in the west, which isn't really going to be worth it if it doesn't sell that big.

Duplication costs are very small. The costs of actually producing the game once the code has been completed are tiny, in fact I would say that the pressing of the disks, the production of the case and the booklet and the sleeve would be less than 2 dollars, maybe even less than a dollar, per unit.

So half a million copies for the states would cost ~$750,000 and if sold would bring in ~$25,000,000 (@ $50 per copy). The real ball ache and 'cost' comes in the translation of the text, which is not a big deal for AU, UK and US markets, but is very annoying when you have to translate for the whole of Europe.

The other huge cost is down to the advertising and promotion of the title. It might be a tight call to whether it is released, but I'd say it will at least come out in the states.

I do have a feeling VGChartz figures are over-tracked, albeit it was probably helped alot by being one of the only PSP games on the market to get good reviews in that period, less competition will always lead to greater sales. I think it was bundled at some point too?

Monster Hunter PSP was / is huge in Japan. Really big. For instance when Bluey was in Japan adn you saw someone holding a PSP, they were playing Monster Hunter. Don't forget that the sales figures don't take piracy into account which is rife on the PSP.

Yep, publishing this game in the west would an issue but hey. They will if they will. I'm sure that if they let Nintendo publish it then they would care less about losses in Europe. They did with Phoenix Wright.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!