N-Europe

Bungie Leaves Microsoft!

Maiky-NiSuTe

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great move for Bungie, they're popular and well known enough now to do they're own thing for a while. Then when it comes to finding a publisher, what publisher wouldn't jump at the chance of them doing another Halo-sized massive hit?!

halo aint dieing for a long time, its gonna stick around as long as xbox does i reckon, much like mario with nintendo. Master Chief is the first video game character i think of when i think of an xbox, they would be stupid to let the franchise die.

Crazy news. This reminds me of Dreamcast. From 1st party to 3rd party...

Not even Nintendo did that in their dark days. The Rare equivalent was more like Bizzare leaving. But this is huge.

MCV have more detail:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/28462/Halo-3-creator-cuts-ties-with-Microsoft

The fact they cut ties with MS is troublesome. MS still are their main publishing deal but who knows what the future holds.

Crazy news. This reminds me of Dreamcast. From 1st party to 3rd party...

Not even Nintendo did that in their dark days. The Rare equivalent was more like Bizzare leaving. But this is huge.

MCV have more detail:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/28462/Halo-3-creator-cuts-ties-with-Microsoft

The fact they cut ties with MS is troublesome. MS still are their main publishing deal but who knows what the future holds.

They've hardly "cut ties".

The way i see it, things won't change much for us. We will still get Bungie games on the 360, just we might see some things like Marathon on the DS and such.

Quote from Bungie:

Bungie has long been built on creativity, originality and the freedom to pursue ideas. Microsoft agreed, and rather than stifle our imagination, they decided it was in both our best interests to unleash it. We'll continue to make Xbox 360 games, and we'll continue to make amazing games for MGS. In that regard, nothing has changed. All that has changed is that now Bungie Studios is once again, the property of the folks of Bungie Studios. Microsoft is and will continue to be, a brilliant, inventive and creatively collaborative publishing partner. Practically speaking, nothing has changed and you guys won't see much, if any difference, for a while unless you come to work for us, that is - we're hiring at http://www.bungie.net/inside/jobs.aspx

Microsoft are fucking morons.

First Bizarre, now Bungie.

Who else do they have left? Mistwalker, Rare, Team Ninja of Tecmo (well they have exclusive rights to all DoA games and thats all they make!).

Microsoft, either you're leaving the console race, or you're going insane.

They're making $16BN a quater, A QUATER. Its not like they don't have the money to keep these developers. I for one am getting extremely worried about the future of the 360 and I'm not the kinda person who worries about this kinda thing.

EDIT: Looked into it.

MGS developers left:

ACES Game Studio

Carbonated Games

Ensemble

Hired Gun

Lionhead

Rare

Turn 10

Wingnut Interactive

Massive Inc.

Yeah but they have to also look at the way round of the ends justifying the means. I mean they could spend X million to keep these companies but then would these companies gurantee making that money back? They may be rich but aren't going to just throw money at things they do still want to try and turn over an actual profit rather than high gross profit then low net profit...

Of all the companies leaving though wouldnt have expected Bungie?

Of all the companies leaving though wouldnt have expected Bungie?

Exactly. Wonder what MS are upto? Peter Moore left. Bungie break ties and go independant. Bizzare have completely left. FASA closed down. Crazy stuff is happening at MS.

Despite their penny pinching and rip off accessories and online they still will make around a billion loss this year! I am guessing this is the reason.

What does this mean for Halo Wars, then?

Nothing. Halo Wars isn't a Bungie title.

I think people are over-reacting.

Microsoft still owns Halo and all its entities. Any future Halo games are exclusive to Microsoft. And Bungie are still making games for Microsoft. The only difference is we'll see PS3 titles now.

All Bungie have become is an indie developer, like Epic Games, who still have exclusive co-productions with Microsoft (Gears of War).

So this is not a big deal. Personally, I'm actually in-different to it. Halo has "ended" so to speak, it's all about GoW2 and GoW3.

And Microsoft still have some shares in Bungie too.

It seems to be as much Microsoft's decision as it is Bungie's tbh. Bungie, like so many other MGS studios have a very low turn out. It isn't surprising, they have very little need to churn games out quickly because they are working from a blank cheque.

This is very unprofitable for Microsoft, they kept Bungie because Halo sold Xboxes rather than because Bungie made a lot of money. With the Halo Trilogy ended and Bungie wanting to start on new franchises where is the benefit in the 2 companies staying together? Microsoft would have the financial burden and Bungie the restricted freedom.

This way Microsoft will still get console shifting titles without the financial burden and Bungie are free to make games for other platforms. I could see a few Wii titles being churned out fast, Bungie will need to turn titles around quickly to stay profitable and the Wii is the perfect platform for doing so

This way Microsoft will still get console shifting titles without the financial burden and Bungie are free to make games for other platforms. I could see a few Wii titles being churned out fast, Bungie will need to turn titles around quickly to stay profitable and the Wii is the perfect platform for doing so

Not only that but it represents MS's loosening of their frist party studios. Will EAD break away from Nintendo? Never. The last time this happened was with Sega. Clearly MS want to get their short term profit look better but this is such a huge cost for the long term.

I wonder what's in this for Microsoft. It's not happening, but this leaves open a possibility for Sony or Nintendo to actually buy Bungie, and the Halo franchise. Even so, there's nothing restricting Bungie to publish Halo on other platforms when their exclusivity contract with Microsoft expires.