Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Is there something magical about the wii?

dannbrownn

I have been amazed recently that god knows how many months since it was first unveiled i have still yet to see anything about Mario Galaxy that i don't absolutely love. Just watching that opening footage on the n-europe home page i was absolutely captivated, i can't put my finger on it, just everything about it in everyway really gives me a feeling of 'I have to play this game.'

I can't think of any other game that i can honestly say that about, but i have noticed a few other wii games that seem to have some sort of inexplicable magnetism, or perhaps there might just be one thing in a game that i see and think 'wow i have to do that.' For example a few of the gestures in the Godfather.

Perhaps it is just the idea of using a wiimote to control the greatest hero in human history, or more likely i have just got far to much time on my hands and let myself dramatically underachieve just so i can think about games all day. lol.

So then has anyone else experienced this kind of magical attraction a wii game?

(Phew it's good to be back, i have been somewhat distracted by a game that came out for the 360 the other week, i think it is called Halo 4 or something like that, i advise you to check it out as it does not seem to have got the publicity it deserves.)

I agree, there is something magical about the Wii! I've had 3 360's (one of each lol) and a PS3 and the games just feel dull and pointless compared to Wii games. Haven't checked out Halo 3 yet though ;)

I'm really looking forward to Mario Galaxy I just know its going to push so many boundries. Nintendo are geniuses when it comes to games and they always offer something very new and very different with every release. I'm more excited for Smash Bros though. I think Melee is the game I've played most in my entire life! There are just so many quality games to look forward too over the next 6 months and it's no wonder Wii's are STILL out of stock everywhere.

Wii is wonderful, I have now got it to myself since the Kids abandoned it as being to childish, although i will have to steal my 360 back, since that Halo thingy came out.

I always enjoy getting fully immersed in Wii games unlike with other console games that seem to frustrate more than anything else.

I do think that Wii like other consoles should start to put more imagination into the games, something I thing Nintendo have the better chance of doing as the novelty of the controls fade.

I would always ask them not to try and copy the other consoles they do what theydo, Nintendo do something else. Any true gamer would have more than one console and Nintendo could never compete with certain game types.

Hope the keep up the good work.

Having a Xbox360 , PS3 and Wii since their respective launches, I can say Wii is definitely my favourite. I've been playing games since the NES, and remember all the special new controls that passed the revue: shoulder buttons, analogue stick, dual analogue sticks, analogue triggers, rumble, tilt, etc, and the Wii-remote gives me the same feeling not unlike the first time you use a analogue stick, for example. It works, and you feel giggly because of the sensation that you're having an new experience, a new way of interacting with the world on your screen, and one that actually works!

360 and PS3 have great games, but bar raw processing power, there isn't anything I haven't played since 2001. Just look at DS and PSP. PSP has great games, but I prefer to play on DS, despite its underwhelming horsepower.

So, is Wii magical? In a gamer's way, it is indeed...

If by magical you mean doesnt get switched on for months at a time then yes it is.

*iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhh* Guess again ;)

Honestly, the Wii has done something I never thought would've happened, and it's about to get even better with all the games in prospect.

If things stay the same over the years, I can see the Wii getting all the "mature" attention the 360 and PS3 so desperately claim as their own.

If by magical you mean doesnt get switched on for months at a time then yes it is.

Same here. Not much is attracting me to the Wii at the moment. My 360 has received so much more play-time than the Wii ever has, and as far as I can see, ever will.

Same here. Not much is attracting me to the Wii at the moment. My 360 has received so much more play-time than the Wii ever has, and as far as I can see, ever will.

I am in this stage at the minute, i put it down to the 360's year advantage over the wii, hopefully next year we will be looking at a wii in the position the 360 now finds itself in. I still find that some wii games have provided me with more outright fun than anything outside of the DS.

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! (<--- wtf was i thinking?)

The Wii deifnitely has something magical about it, though its something I felt with Nintendo since the beginning - whatever games come out, nothing seems to capture the same feeling mario or zelda give me, simple as that.

The Wii in particular is just amazing and will ONLY get better over the coming years. Does it have the sheer quality software the Xbox has? No, but you'd be stupid to think it would and very shortsighted to think it wont. Fact is, SSX Blur is better because of the wiimote, Godafather, Res Evil, Sacrface are all better because of the wiimote, Fifa is better because of the Wiimote and so on and so on. The wiimote is amazing, it will be the future interface design on future consoles (until Nintendo decides otherwise) and will be home to the best and most innovative software this generation.

Whoever said SSX is a greater experience for the Wii is wilding out, as the fiddly controls totally ruined SSX for me and I could not play more then once without getting frustrated.

Mario Galaxy and Metroid look set to be the Wii's first dose of possible "magic titles", but to act like the Wii has already achieved that status is an over-reaction of epic preportions. Give it another year.

Agreed. SSX Blur was flawed.

I think Mario Galaxy is going to be the first title thats going to really show off the Wii's potential as a proper gaming console. Maybe it will give some developers a kick up the backside and make them think about making some great quality titles for the Wii, rather than leaving it up to Nintendo.

i think you'll find that The wii will deliver the best in every franchise(bar zelda because it could be the best game ever but still never beat oot....yamn)

Metroid prime 3 is proving to be the best metroid at least since super.

Smash is GOING to be the best.

Galaxy is GOING to be the best

and i'm sure mario kart will also be great.

We will look back at the wii and will miss these days so enjoy it while you can:)

Agreed. SSX Blur was flawed.

I think Mario Galaxy is going to be the first title thats going to really show off the Wii's potential as a proper gaming console. Maybe it will give some developers a kick up the backside and make them think about making some great quality titles for the Wii, rather than leaving it up to Nintendo.

nah metroid 3 will get there first.

I suppose this is a nintendo forum, so we should expect the odd Wii enthusiast like you dan. But let me get back on track, the Wii has been far from magic so far. There has not been one truely amazing original game - gamecube conversions with wii controls or ported PS2 games do no count - and nintendo seem to be the only developers who can truely get the best out of the controller. Yes there is the odd game like Fifa where its controls work well, but for every positive is a meh flaw. Whoever said SSX is a greater experience for the Wii is wilding out, as the fiddly controls totally ruined SSX for me and I could not play more then once without getting frustrated.

Mario Galaxy and Metroid look set to be the Wii's first dose of possible "magic titles", but to act like the Wii has already achieved that status is an over-reaction of epic preportions. Give it another year.

what you are saying is true.. but wii sports IS an amazing game especially because what it has done and what it will do for the gaming industry.. it is the game that will truly start it all. It's only the first year and i know you are sick of hearing that but the ps3 is doing a lot worse and the 360 wasn't having the greatest games ever either truly until gears of war. and no i dont really include oblivion.

Wii Sports is an influential game, Yes as it will no doubt inspire the controls of sports games from now on.

Is Wii Sports an amazing game? Definetly not. After a solid month of fun with it, the novelty wears off and the replay value starts to dissapear. After throwing 16 punches and only 3 getting read from the controller, I want to set my cat on fire and throw it at my neighbour. After having to re-adapt my golf swing to a technique that doesnt exsist to get the ball going, I actually want to damage my Television Set with the wiimote. It is a solid game, but it is very flawed and can only be played in small doses.

Yes Very Influential

Not Amazing

actually my last post was a ball of shit.

but still my points were ok i think...

you still got a MONTH of fun? isn't that a lot of fun for a FREE game. also everyone knows boxing sucks.

Galaxy will be better i'm not disagreeing with that but surely you agree that metroid prime really shows the wii is a games console?

It redefined FPS controls and did it really well at that.

It won't make as much of a difference as a game like galaxy will imo. Yes mp3 made the controls but other than that it's just a metroid game. Galaxy looks to be coming up with so many new idea's etc. In the long run, galaxy has more chance of having an effect on the quality of future games than MP3 does I think.

and that would be true. Still the fps controls finally show that the wii could be better than any other console for that kind of game.

Ya i know galaxy will have a bigger effect.. it is mario after all. But for a true gaming experience. Metroid is the first brilliant non gamecube port to grace the wii.

The Wii is at the same point the 360 was when they launched Gears, so I'm pretty sure its doing very well for itself at the moment. As for being magic, i don't think i have ever felt as immersed into a game in all my life, sure Wii Sports has some flaws, but none of them can even come close to what the game has done for the industry, like Nintendo said, they want to being in new gamers, and thats just what they've done

Metroid is the only convincing, complete and polished Wii game ive played so far. I can't wait til you guys get it so you can see how 'not magic' everything else has been so far.

Does it really take a Nintendo-sized budget and dev cycle to get something remarkable out of the Wii hardware?

For me, it's the fact that the Wii has moment where it takes me back 10 years to when I was a kid first playing my GameBoy, or first playing my Snes, or experience 3d gaming for the first time on the N64. It's all new and different it sort of takes me back to the days I was first discovering gaming, and really has reignited my love for gaming after the ps2 started to feel like the exact same thing. Guess that's why I don't see alot of appeal in the 360 or PS3, I'm tired of how they to me feel like last generations gaming but with upper graphics.

The Wii hasn't had all that many games yet though, it's going to change sooner then later. I guess I'm used to the wait, I mean I owned an N64 from launch :P.

The main difference I find between Xbox/PS3 and Wii, is that the prior are connected to the internet,so I can play online, something I have not done before. This is probably why they get more play time then my Wii. If they werent connected online Iwouldnt be playing any of the games, as they are just polished up versions of older games. With the Wii I am more than happy to use it offline.

But I still say they are chalk and cheese and should not relayy be compared against each other. (that is xbox360/ps3 vs wii)

What good 3rd party titles are in developement at the moment? All the talk seems to be about Nintendo's 3 big games, and after them, there's nothing.

You've really got to look for yourself, cause there are quite alot and they all appeal to different types of people.

personally, I'm hyped for RE:UC, Zack and Wiki, Trauma Centre: New Blood, King Story and Guitar Hero III.

There really is tons though.